Coventry University - Covidiots. (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I happen to believe that one of the lessons from Lockdown 1 is that it *worked* in bringing cases/hospital admissions/deaths DOWN. The drive to save the economy meant that it was eased too fast, too soon, which is causing this second spike (in many areas). But MUCH of that is due to household mixing, not students having a bit of a Freshers party.

Point I saw raised with care homes was that support staff can’t help but bring it in. There’s no such thing as a bubble when you account for delivery drivers, nurses, repair men, family just breaking the rules once, etc.

I worry about the idea you can just isolate people effectively.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I happen to believe that one of the lessons from Lockdown 1 is that it *worked* in bringing cases/hospital admissions/deaths DOWN. The drive to save the economy meant that it was eased too fast, too soon, which is causing this second spike (in many areas). But MUCH of that is due to household mixing, not students having a bit of a Freshers party.

On the whole yes, but it was totally inadequate in keeping it out of care homes which is where the biggest issue lay.

Macca

What’s the point of the poor sods even being there. Mind you young life looks dull as hell now with the obsession of videoing

Flying Fokker

As long as when they are disciplined by the uni....and one or two possibly sent down. And when they are quarantined and isolated if the COVID rips through the Halls they don’t bleat that life’s so unfair. Actions have consequences and everyone knows what is currently happening. I don’t blame them for having a bit of fun but they have been found out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

people of Coventry beware of the incomers. I think it would Be harsh if anyone was disciplined

wingy

Who's having money on a two week lockdown over half term?
What's the data like for schools, doesn't seem to be easily found or publicised, so it's just an assumption .
They do say it's secondary schools mostly where there are cases.
Difference between now and spring seems to be the spread is wider,shire town's etc .

Bridgen was on newsnight the other night praising his well behaved community and asking not to be affected by blanket rule's, highlighting by doing so the economic divide and the insulation provided by address,career etc , provided you're sensible with it.
Thing is he quoted 10per 100k yet only 8 weeks ago it was3in Coventry.

chiefdave

Theyll be luxury apartments before you can remove the smell of instant noodles.
I would have pointed out the poor build quality and small room these student blocks have. Then I saw what passes for luxury apartments in the former co-op building and how much they're charging for them.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why would it be harsh if anyone was disciplined? They agreed to this years CU code of conduct which outlaws things like this.

I think the fact was it was mentioned about locking one or two up as a example. Not just expulsion but prison. Totally disproportionate. Stern talking to, maybe even a warning but that's it. Loads of people out flouting social distancing/mask rules on the streets/shops/pubs. Should we lock up the idiots in Trafalgar Sq?

Also, did anyone tell students that a week after coming back (in some cases pretty much forced to) they'd barely be allowed outside? If it was OK for them to come back how come in such a short space of time they're being put under such strict conditions? I'd say because it was a lie that it was OK and they wanted them back because a lot of people with a say-so have a stake in the student housing game and didn't want to be losing out on the money.

shmmeee

I would have pointed out the poor build quality and small room these student blocks have. Then I saw what passes for luxury apartments in the former co-op building and how much they're charging for them.

Sorry. Should have been clear: “luxury” apartments.

David O'Day

I think the fact was it was mentioned about locking one or two up as a example. Not just expulsion but prison. Totally disproportionate. Stern talking to, maybe even a warning but that's it. Loads of people out flouting social distancing/mask rules on the streets/shops/pubs. Should we lock up the idiots in Trafalgar Sq?

Also, did anyone tell students that a week after coming back (in some cases pretty much forced to) they'd barely be allowed outside? If it was OK for them to come back how come in such a short space of time they're being put under such strict conditions? I'd say because it was a lie that it was OK and they wanted them back because a lot of people with a say-so have a stake in the student housing game and didn't want to be losing out on the money.

I was talking about CU taking action which they are perfectly entitled to do as per their current code of conduct and frankly after that fella in Nottingham or derby or wherever got a 10k fine they'll be lucky that the old bill probably wouldn't be able to locate what they could deem as an organiser.

olderskyblue

So glad camera phones weren’t really a thing in my day.

But cameras were, so you're still not off the hook matey... ;)

Nick

Administrator
But cameras were, so you're still not off the hook matey... ;)

It took balls to go and get them developed though and look the people in the eye when you collected them.

One of my mates made the mistake of leaving them on tables at his wedding for people to remember the day, I bet some people took some really lovely photos. I dread to think the sort of crap on ours, I know somebody took it to the toilet with them when they went for a shit.

olderskyblue

It took balls to go and get them developed though and look the people in the eye when you collected them.

You never heard of polaroids?? :LOL:

Actually, that reminds me of when we got an envelope posted through our door, with our address on, but meant for younger neighbours up the road. I didnt notice the name as it came with lots of other mail, so opened it. Very... err... revealing. Always suspected they must do their own printing.

RegTheDonk

Fuck sake- sent down??

This is just another example of "blame the people instead of us for our mismanagement and demanding they went back in the first place"

Do you want to "send down" all those blokes who went to Trafalgar Square- I know which is riskier between that and these kids locked away messing about
A proportionate response I agree, but surely to god these kids need to take responsiblity for their own actions. They got a place at Uni, I presume they can read the rules?

The Lurker

the left make me laugh on here. all slam the government. they put measures in place but when students flaunt the rules it’s alright. They are young. These are the same people who claim how serious the virus is. pot kettle black again. outrage only happens when it suits. let’s hope the levels in cov dont go up in the next few weeks

shmmeee

the left make me laugh on here. all slam the government. they put measures in place but when students flaunt the rules it’s alright. They are young. These are the same people who claim how serious the virus is. pot kettle black again. outrage only happens when it suits. let’s hope the levels in cov dont go up in the next few weeks

What the fuck are you burbling about now?

What has this even got to do with left and right?

rob9872

Loving all the liberal suggestions of herd mentality being the way forward. Not too long since that suggestion was being weaponised against the PM who along with the govt was ridiculed and pressured into late lockdown. Sweden took that approach and seem to be a little better at present. I have no idea which method is or was correct and believe we've been 'following the science' but we certainly shouldn't be altering views simply to suit our current argument.

NorthernWisdom

Loving all the liberal suggestions of herd mentality being the way forward. Not too long since that suggestion was being weaponised against the PM who along with the govt was ridiculed and pressured into late lockdown. Sweden took that approach and seem to be a little better at present. I have no idea which method is or was correct and believe we've been 'following the science' but we certainly shouldn't be altering views simply to suit our current argument.
Alright, I've tried to avoid this thread as you can have too much Covid, but I'll bite ;)

Personally, I wouldn't blame the young people for doing what young people do - that was inevitable once they were put together, and young people think they're invincible / don't see the wider consequences.

It was always inevitable once universities went back.

Now, that was a government decision to do that - agreeing or disagreeing with it is a matter for... the other thread in my mind ;) but that's what it is. To blame the young people would be, however, shooting the messenger as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I consider it progress that Lurker only mentioned lefties and not... anything else.

David O'Day

What on earth are you talking about?

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Alright, I've tried to avoid this thread as you can have too much Covid, but I'll bite ;)

Personally, I wouldn't blame the young people for doing what young people do - that was inevitable once they were put together, and young people think they're invincible / don't see the wider consequences.

Now, that was a government decision to do that - agreeing or disagreeing with it is a matter for... the other thread in my mind ;) but that's what it is. To blame the young people would be, however, shooting the messenger as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I consider it progress that Lurker only mentioned lefties and not... anything else.
You've said it there : they think they're invisible. Thus the rules that are being applied to the population don't really apply to them. They can do as they please and if it means that the country takes an extra 6 months or more to recover to a level where we can function again so be it.
Why don't you blame young people ? Is it because they are young and they need to go out , while the rest of us do as we are asked to do ?

NorthernWisdom

Why don't you blame young people ? Is it because they are young and they need to go out
If we're all honest, we'd have been similar at that age, that's why. I'd like to think I'd have stayed in and done as told, but I also remember having swine flu and not being that bothered, carrying on as normal. That said, swine flu didn't take hold like this, and there wasn't the constant media intrusion either.

It's going to sound *really* patronising, but there's a lack of experience, it'll be the first time away from home, and the media's telling them they won't be affected by it anyway. They're in their own bubble atm without thought for the wider world, and they've been thrown together with loads of other similar people, so there's peer pressure too.

To avoid this is simple, don't throw a load of people disposed to this kind of thing together, but that's what we've done.

None of that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taught the meaning of social responsibility, but it's got to be tempered with some realisation that we've created the conditions for that to happen. And no, I'm not happy that they then go out into the wider world, interact with support staff, lecturers etc, barmen and women, supermarket checkout assistants etc.

But this was inevitable, as soon as we sent them back. Nobody can be surprised, it's more if you think they should have been sent back as they were or not.

The Lurker

You really are a sly piece of work. why would I mention anything else unless of course you clocked it but didn’t wanna say it and use ‘anything else’

Users who are viewing this thread