Coventry slang/dialect (1 Viewer)

vow

What about snap? My old man always used to call his packed lunch it
Midlands, Northern saying I reckon, as me old gran always use to call it snap.

torchomatic

Think they call it "Barm" or "Barm-cake" somewhere up north as well.

Ah reminds me of the nightmare I sat near during the first 5 seasons at the Ricoh. An old bloke who called all players and referees "barm". Constantly.

Gazolba

Didn't they call those chocolate covered marshmallow cakes 'tea cakes'.
Whippets-small.jpg

fernandopartridge

Forgot about entry - we always knew all the entries around the streets.
Wonder about scallops in chip shops - they don't exist around here and when I try to explain what they are I usually get something like, 'so let me get this right, it's a slice of potato covered in batter that you have with all your chips which are potato?' Are scallops a midland chip shop thing?
No, you get scallops up in the north west too

SkyblueBazza

Recently here in Norfolk they did a survey using 20 common local slang and dialect words to different age groups. Pretty much all 20 were recognised by the over 50s, about half by the 30 to 40s and around 3 (sometimes none) by the under 20s. They blamed the Americanisation/globalisation of the English language amongst other things for this decline in the local idiom.

It got me thinking back to all the words and phrases we used as kids growing up in Cov which I think must be particular to the city or at least the Midlands. How many of these are still used I wonder? Typically as kids we revelled in the taboo words.

Wagging it - truancy Y
On the lob - an erection
Jam rag - sanitary towel Y
Jam sandwich - police car Y
Batch - bread roll
Chuddy - chewing gum
Spuggy - sparrow
Mardy - bloody awkward and moany I think - but a Midland term generally Y
I'll go to Stoke! - an exclamation I can remember my parents, aunts and uncle using
Going down town - going to the city centre Y

There must be many more but probably fading from use like all the local dialects.

Black Country me...and I've put a Y by those I remember being widely used in Walsall/Wolves area

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

I knew a girl once who was from Nuneaton so I don't know if this is just a Nuneaton thing but instead of pronouncing 'buses', she would say 'buzzes'.
I'm not sure if the 'z' was only used in the plural or the singular as well.
Does anyone know if this is a Nuneaton only thing?
Nah...Walsall...always definitely a buzz

SkyblueBazza

See - I moved south...they all seem to find it funny if I refer to 'the Asda'? Apparently it is 'Asda' not befitting a prefix of 'the'.

Weirdos

Otis

See - I moved south...they all seem to find it funny if I refer to 'the Asda'? Apparently it is 'Asda' not befitting a prefix of 'the'.

Weirdos

The Asda? What??

Never heard of that before at all.

Do you say that for everything? We are going down to the Virgin. Yesterday we were at the Primark?
I'm going down to the library?

Seriously?

SkyblueBazza

The Asda? What??

Never heard of that before at all.

Do you say that for everything? We are going down to the Virgin. Yesterday we were at the Primark?
I'm going down to the library?

Seriously?

Well...surely 'the Library' is standard? But all your other examples - no. Just 'The Asda'. See back in the day The Asda was a relatively massive supermarket (& is still there!) & in the Black Country we tend to be economical verbalising stuff. So it is far quicker & easier to say 'I am going to the Asda' than 'I am going to the big new supermarket'...shit - typing that wore me out!

Users who are viewing this thread