Coventry slang/dialect (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Recently here in Norfolk they did a survey using 20 common local slang and dialect words to different age groups. Pretty much all 20 were recognised by the over 50s, about half by the 30 to 40s and around 3 (sometimes none) by the under 20s. They blamed the Americanisation/globalisation of the English language amongst other things for this decline in the local idiom.

It got me thinking back to all the words and phrases we used as kids growing up in Cov which I think must be particular to the city or at least the Midlands. How many of these are still used I wonder? Typically as kids we revelled in the taboo words.

Wagging it - truancy
On the lob - an erection
Jam rag - sanitary towel
Jam sandwich - police car
Batch - bread roll
Chuddy - chewing gum
Spuggy - sparrow
Mardy - bloody awkward and moany I think - but a Midland term generally
I'll go to Stoke! - an exclamation I can remember my parents, aunts and uncle using
Going down town - going to the city centre

There must be many more but probably fading from use like all the local dialects.

Terry Gibson's perm

Recently here in Norfolk they did a survey using 20 common local slang and dialect words to different age groups. Pretty much all 20 were recognised by the over 50s, about half by the 30 to 40s and around 3 (sometimes none) by the under 20s. They blamed the Americanisation/globalisation of the English language amongst other things for this decline in the local idiom.

It got me thinking back to all the words and phrases we used as kids growing up in Cov which I think must be particular to the city or at least the Midlands. How many of these are still used I wonder? Typically as kids we revelled in the taboo words.

Wagging it - truancy
On the lob - an erection
Jam rag - sanitary towel
Jam sandwich - police car
Batch - bread roll
Chuddy - chewing gum
Spuggy - sparrow
Mardy - bloody awkward and moany I think - but a Midland term generally
I'll go to Stoke! - an exclamation I can remember my parents, aunts and uncle using
Going down town - going to the city centre

There must be many more but probably fading from use like all the local dialects.

A batch is a batch I have no idea what this bread roll term is

vow

Entry. Does anywhere else use that?

When we used to play at the backs of houses we would always say we are going up the entry (cue lots of sexual innuendo).
You're probably right, Otis, as I can't even think of another term for entry.

tommydazzle

Forgot about entry - we always knew all the entries around the streets.
Wonder about scallops in chip shops - they don't exist around here and when I try to explain what they are I usually get something like, 'so let me get this right, it's a slice of potato covered in batter that you have with all your chips which are potato?' Are scallops a midland chip shop thing?

Otis

You're probably right, Otis, as I can't even think of another term for entry.
Did you used to use it though?

Don't think you can win either way. 'I'm going up the back entry, Mum.'

'I'm taking my cousin up the back alley, Mum!'

Terry Gibson's perm

Wonder about scallops in chip shops - they don't exist around here and when I try to explain what they are I usually get something like, 'so let me get this right, it's a slice of potato covered in batter that you have with all your chips which are potato?' Are scallops a midland chip shop thing?

Mi can remember getting a scallop batch

tommydazzle

The 'I'll go to Stoke!' always puzzles me, why Stoke? I suppose it's a bit similar to the Yorkshire, 'I'll go to the foot of our stairs!'

vow

Did you used to use it though?

Don't think you can win either way. 'I'm going up the back entry, Mum.'

'I'm taking my cousin up the back alley, Mum!'
Aye, defo used the entry and the term entry, funnily enough though I never took my cousin up the back alley or entry...perhaps your family were a tad more liberal!

vow

Can remember getting a faggot batch from The Parson's Nose.
Remember that too, but wasn't it with mushy peas too? Either to the side or slapped on the batch?!
Hang on, wasn't that Mr Porky not The Parsons nose?

tommydazzle

Remember that too, but wasn't it with mushy peas too? Either to the side or slapped on the batch?!
Hang on, wasn't that Mr Porky not The Parsons nose?
Yes definitely mushy peas as the gourmet option - the chef always used to ask which side or batch slapped.
Never went to Mr Porky so defo The Parson's Nose

tommydazzle

All this talk of jetties -seems weird for the most landlocked city in England. I'll have to ask my parents about this.

torchomatic

A lot of that stuff was used in Southam too when I grew up in the 70s. I don't think it is particularly a Coventry thing.

pastythegreat

I introduced all my army pals to a scallop batch

NorthernWisdom

Potato fritter elsewhere.

They looked at me all weird when I moved away and asked for a scallop. Thought I was posh, they only offered cod!

Nick

Administrator
Remember going into a Morrisons in Stoke on Trent

Woman said "We have just got some fresh butty pars"

Wife asked her about 4 times, it was a butter and potato pie.

Won't beat a scallop batch with chilli sauce

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread