Coventry sign Sam Ricketts (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

It's out in the media now chaps.

Sorry I couldn't say anymore on the deal earlier!

skybluepm2

Really pleased that this one is over the line. Good 1st interview too. I'm not sure we should read too much into the fact that he's 33 and use that negatively. Granted we have had players in the past turning up for one last pay cheque but not all have the experience of being league 1 winning captain just 2 seasons ago.

Not as vital that we tie down Johnson now but the two of them in a back 4 along with Willis and Phillipa would be a great blend of experience, leadership, talent and potential.

Let's hope they keep them coming!!

AFCCOVENTRY

Other clubs in L1 will look at Cov and say what a big signing this is.

It's quality we need and not panic signings like every other preseason.

Hobo

This is a very good signing, on the pitch, in the dressing room and out on the training pitch. Someone our youngsters can look at and see he has had a successful career, been there and done that.

Perhaps he can mentor Reda Johnson, he could start by lending Johnson his pen!

Sterling Archer

Johnson and Ricketts would be a solid partnership in this league. Hearing really good things from a couple of Wolves fans at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop

They are both left sided players arent they so a bit of a unbalance.But i think he has been signed to replace Johnson.

Terry Gibson's perm

Happy with this seems to be a good pro as well, I would like to see him made captain as I would like to see a lot less of JOB next year

Sick Boy

Great signing. Looks like it's the end of the road for some posters' poster boy in 'Reda'.

#followthereda- fuck off.

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City's newest signing Sam Ricketts said he joined the club because of the ambition to earn promotion to the Championship.

Ricketts, who has already experienced promotion from League One with Wolves back in 2012/13, believes the aim of the Sky Blues' aim for a return to the Championship is not unrealistic under Tony Mowbray's stewardship.

The 33-year old, who admitted he almost moved to the Sky Blues on loan last season, said that Mowbray's continued interest was another crucial factor in sealing the move to the Sky Blues.

SEE PHOTOS OF RICKETTS IN ACTION IN HIS FIRST SESSION WITH THE SKY BLUES HERE...

"I'm delighted to have joined," Ricketts said.

"I nearly came here on loan last season, but the club kept an interest in me and I spoke to the gaffer a lot.

"That was an influence of course, you always want to be wanted and feel that you can be used to your best potential. The way the gaffer spoke to me, he was someone I wanted to play for.

"I joined here for one big reason, promotion. That's our aim."

City's newest signing has a huge wealth of experience, from playing in the Premier League for both Bolton Wanderers and Hull City as well as winning 52 caps for Wales.

Ricketts believes that the ability to control games is a quality teams need to possess to get out of League One, something which he believes Mowbray will instil into the squad.

He continued: "Obviously when I got promoted at Wolves that was a great year. It did take a while to get going, it wasn't until Christmas when we hit full gear and ran away with it.

"You need quality players, a good foundation and to be a side that controls games to get out of this league. Cut and thrust teams can start well but only last half a season but teams that can control games survive the duration. I feel that the manager will help to promote that passing and controlled style of play.

"But I'm glad to be back in the swing of things with my first session today, it's always tough in pre-season and I'm a few days behind.

"The last time I played was in the play-off final, so it will be nice to go to Nuneaton on Saturday and get going again."

J

Jack Griffin

They are both left sided players arent they so a bit of a unbalance.But i think he has been signed to replace Johnson.

Reckon so, can't wait forever for Reda, the club needs a Captain/Leader early in the window.

H

Huckerby

Quality signing. Be even better if we had Reda too what do you reckon? Or do you think it's a replacement

H

Huckerby

Would prefer Pennington than Reda but I don't think we will get either.
Yeh same actually. So a lot riding on ricketts at the back. Who with him?

Would love grant ward back in the middle, a big nasty midfielder, and a striker now. Don't want much lol

Shakeitup

Welcome Sam to the mighty Sky Blues, the finest football team to grace...Coventry give us something to shout about. (Hopefully positive, however we are far better at negativity, just check the negativity thread!)

Chipfat

I cant get me head around calling this being a great signing,, trust me his legs are gone,at 33 good career but by no means is this a great signing or a great player.. This is No better than what we have, which is worrying as we could hardly compete last season.. Grant, Samuel and Pennigton added quality this does not add quality in my honest opinion.. Hope TM can pull some better ones off than this,, enough time i suppose...

Wheelfass

I've never met such bunch of bleeding sissies in all my life. What is harm in AFC posting this? If he heard something then why not put it up? If you guys has such a bloody boring life that you have to be glued to this site or other to get a fix then that is your problem and not AFC's. I thought people work? Maybe that's an old fashioned concept? Either way why don't you come on here from time to time, read the threads, don't take them as gospel and get on with life.
See it for what it was. Just a lucky dib in the forum that came up as a fortunate punt.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

See it for what it was Num skull. Just a lucky dib in the forum that came up as a fortunate punt.

Really? Let me know how many times I have started a thread saying we have signed someone as a punt. Just because I knew earlier in the day before the media lines came out...

Seriously.,. I am a ccfc fan who gave the heads up on a ccfc forum...you would have thought murder was committed...

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think this is a good solid signing that without providing much of a wow factor is the sort of signing we need. He has ability, experience and as TM says is a leader of men all those qualities will be vital this coming season especially given the ages of much of the squad

Tank Top

There's only a slim chance of signing Mal Nutrition , But the Russian Anna Rexia is expected to Join the ladies team, "so they say"!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread