Match Thread Coventry City - Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread - Friday 22nd Dec (1 Viewer)

Otis

Robins has said McDonald isn't injured so must have just been a bruise - Pre Match Interview - Wycombe

Can see him going back in and Davies dropped though.
Unless anyone IS to be sold in January perhaps. Sometimes if someone is going to leave you don't want to risk them picking up an injury. Has happened before at clubs, so will be interesting to see the team tomorrow night and indeed, the bench too.

If Stevenson's not at all in the squad that would get tongues wagging for instance.

Nick

Administrator
Doyle said this about Bayliss

“He’s a really good player and I thought he was outstanding last week. For a debut, it was brilliant. It’s just important now that if he plays on Friday – and I’m sure he will – he has to back it up now.”

SlowerThanPlatt

Will be an interesting game. Going for a 1-1 draw which will be an okay result I think going into a few easier games, although I read that Robins is targeting 12/12

Unchanged 11 for me.

Burge

Grimmer
Willis
McDonald
Stokes

Bayliss
Doyle

Vincenti
Shipley

McNulty
Biamou

Gazolba

I think Akinfenwa will make mincemeat of our defence.
Oh well, we can all have mince pies for Christmas.

Sky Blue Harry H

Any free kicks we give away in our own half will invite trouble. I'd take a point, and will do a silly dance if we take 3 !

Otis

Any free kicks we give away in our own half will invite trouble. I'd take a point, and will do a silly dance if we take 3 !
giphy.gif

I expect this and nothing less.

Nick

Administrator
He is just a big fat lump who can't run. Go low and go hard and watch him go down like a sack of spuds.

Would need to move out of the way if he is falling though.

You would think it would be a case of cut at the bottom of the tree trunk and the rest will fall, he did cause all sorts of issues in the cup game last year when he came on. Hopefully if we put out a physical defence and actually having a Defensive Midfielder to sit in front and cut out the direct balls to him it will help.

Even so, it's CCFC so there is something to worry about with every game. Even being 2-0 up on 80 minutes there is a nagging though there.

steve82

---------------Burge----------------
Grimmer--Davies--McDonald--Stokes
-Vincenti--Doyle--Bayliss--Shipley-
---------Biamou----McNulty---------

Just the one change for me tonight should Mcdonald be passed fit. Davies to come in for No 4 to deal with the aerial threat of Wycombe who are one of the prolific scorers in the league for headed goals.

Akinfenwa is in possibly the best scoring form of his career this season and Mackail-smith is still showing he's a danger in the box with his intelligent movement and taken 5 league goals himself all on his right foot.

Nick

Administrator
You would think Robins would address their headed goals and would have been looking at it. If he starts with Davies on the bench and Willis / McDonald get bullied it's going to be a worry.

I guess Jacobson is a full back whipping crosses in?

steve82

You would think Robins would address their headed goals and would have been looking at it. If he starts with Davies on the bench and Willis / McDonald get bullied it's going to be a worry.

I think Jacobson gets forwards like Grimmer, he's also a set piece man who's useful in front of goal.

Wycombe are joint top in L2 with 10 headed goals with Newport and Notts county. Akinfenwa has 7 of those 10 goals himself. Yes he's slow, big and cumbersome but he carries a threat that needs respect.

fernandopartridge

As if we are shitting ourselves about the 30 stone lump akinfenwa, id be more concerned about mckail-smith.

No one is this division is really that frightening going forward. Cheltenham 1st half sat were probs the most dynamic attacking team I’ve seen all season!

Indeed, with Akinfenwa we need to concentrate on stopping the ball coming in, not worrying about how we will deal with balls coming in

Londonccfcfan

got a feeling IF we get a goal or two ahead Davies will definitely on the pitch at some stage to help with aerial bombardment.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Anyone want to join my contingency for a cheap ticket package? Only got about 3 of us at the moment, and there is no way we're paying full whack!

Esoterica

I think Jacobson gets forwards like Grimmer, he's also a set piece man who's useful in front of goal.

Wycombe are joint top in L2 with 10 headed goals with Newport and Notts county. Akinfenwa has 7 of those 10 goals himself. Yes he's slow, big and cumbersome but he carries a threat that needs respect.
Will be a good test for Grimmer tomorrow. Jacobson is their left back so it's Grimmer's side and he seems to get beaten to the byline quite easily from a standing start. Will be a key battle down our right i think.

Nick

Administrator
Will be a good test for Grimmer tomorrow. Jacobson is their left back so it's Grimmer's side and he seems to get beaten to the byline quite easily from a standing start. Will be a key battle down our right i think.

Tomorrow? It's tonight!!!!

giphy.gif

steve82

I'd literally just been to the shop to get some beers in for the game tonight too when I wrote that. Dunno what's up with me - too many headed footballs over the years!

Yes, which is why I think Vincenti will likely play to help cover defensively and offer Grimmer some protection.

MR is really gonna have to be setup the best we can be for this and adapt very quickly to the way the game pans out. A early goal from us helps settle things.

I'd imagine Wycombe are a very direct traditional side that will play to there strengths to get the upper hand. Let's hope we keep things on the deck a little more and work them to stop them gaining in our half and supplying balls in for Akinfenwa to feed off or ball to feet for Mackail-Smith.

Beers for tonight? You carrying them in a flask to bypass the mean stewards looking for naughty boys and girls.

Otis

Grimmer does indeed get beaten far too easily by opposition players.It's a big weakness in his game.

Much better when HE is the one putting the OPPOSITION on the back foot.

steve82

Grimmer does indeed get beaten far too easily by opposition players.It's a big weakness in his game.

Much better when HE is the one putting the OPPOSITION on the back foot.

He's a good example of a player who could play higher if his weaknesses improved.

Does a good job tho at L2 level.

Esoterica

Yes, which is why I think Vincenti will likely play to help cover defensively and offer Grimmer some protection.

MR is really gonna have to be setup the best we can be for this and adapt very quickly to the way the game pans out. A early goal from us helps settle things.

I'd imagine Wycombe are a very direct traditional side that will play to there strengths to get the upper hand. Let's hope we keep things on the deck a little more and work them to stop them gaining in our half and supplying balls in for Akinfenwa to feed off or ball to feet for Mackail-Smith.

Beers for tonight? You carrying them in a flask to bypass the mean stewards looking for naughty boys and girls.
Would love to go but I'm afraid I'm an overseas supporter. Moved to Czech Republic 10 years ago so iFollow is immense for me this year, having spent years listening to Geoff and Clive on SkyBluesWorld. The beer is amazing though and super cheap, so I'll raise a glass to all 20,000 of Dale Evan's Sky Blue Army celebrating the revolution at the Ricoh tonight.

steve82

Would love to go but I'm afraid I'm an overseas supporter. Moved to Czech Republic 10 years ago so iFollow is immense for me this year, having spent years listening to Geoff and Clive on SkyBluesWorld. The beer is amazing though and super cheap, so I'll raise a glass to all 20,000 of Dale Evan's Sky Blue Army celebrating the revolution at the Ricoh tonight.

Ahh I see, I understand how you can now enjoy CCFC and a beer.

Ifollow must be the best thing since slice bread for you out there.

I hope you still get a showing of only fools and horses at Christmas.

dazed&confused

A proper test of where we stand. Wycombe are a decent team at this level, have a decent manager and are above us in the table. We should be so much better. On the positive side, we seem to do better against teams who try to play football, but like most teams in this dividion we struggle against pace and worst still have looked patchy at the back in recent games. Friday night. Some very odd speacial offers that seem to be aimed at stag parties and roman legionnaires. Arsenal v Liverpool on Sky. We are still struggling to score. 6,250-6,750. As usual, we have to score first or we're fucked. 0-0,1-0, 2-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2.

Sky Blue Harry H

A proper test of where we stand. Wycombe are a decent team at this level, have a decent manager and are above us in the table. We should be so much better. On the positive side, we seem to do better against teams who try to play football, but like most teams in this dividion we struggle against pace and worst still have looked patchy at the back in recent games. Friday night. Some very odd speacial offers that seem to be aimed at stag parties and roman legionnaires. Arsenal v Liverpool on Sky. We are still struggling to score. 6,250-6,750. As usual, we have to score first or we're fucked. 0-0,1-0, 2-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2.

So basically, you haven't got a clue what the score will be :borg:

Users who are viewing this thread