Match Thread Coventry City vs. Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread - Saturday 13th Oct (1 Viewer)

Otis

Screenshot_2018-10-13-19-59-07.png
King Tony? The Messiah? God? That great manager?

Only 34.67%?

giphy.gif

Grendel

It’s not just Mowbrays average - that is similar to the legend fhat is Don Mackey who did it with no experience and in the top flight - but the downward spiral after Christmas in season one that was comparable to Slade and Thorn. Also of course Dowie who had a much higher ratio than most managers but in the end couldn’t buy a win

Grendel

Travs

Good to see the old-school GMK boys still up there.... saw them everywhere over the years, be it Highfield Road, away games, Northampton, and spotted them again up the Telegraph End second half today.... respect.

stupot07

I thought today the limitations of having a left footed right winger and a right footed left winger were shown today. Thomas's inability to get a shot off is because he was desperate to cut back in on his left, and Hiwula would have provably scored if those second half chances had been on his right hand side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dazed&confused

For 80 minutes I was certain it was going to finish 0-0. Wycombe are a poor team who don't offer much up front except for the eye catching physique of Akinfenwa, and we still look unconvincing going forward: Chaplin huffs and puffs, Thomas has no end product and Hiwula seems lightweight and looks uncertain of his role. JCH however continues to improve, and while not looking much of a goal threat, he does now at least sometimes win the ball in the air and successfully hold it up. Just a shame that those around him don't work well with others. But the 'just get crosses into the box' tactic - which had looked doomed to failure - surprisingly paid off. A great run down the right by Sterling, followed by the one decent cross of the match, and with the help of some suspect Wycombe defending - leaving the 5ft 6" Chaplin seemingly unmarked at the far post - that was that. On another day their very pink keeper would have scored an embarrassing equaliser right at the end, but he didn't. MOTM Sterling.

Last edited:

oucho

With the win today and the great end to the Charlton game, let's hope the squad a feeling some momentum which can turn this into a proper good run to get us up towards the promotion places....and stay there!!

SkyBlueMatt

That's a very negative view.

I disagree with most of it. After that first 50 mins I could see us getting a result. At 80 mins it did look like a draw. Chaplin had one golden chance and scored another. More confident will mean more goals. Wycombe didn't offer much going forward but until we sort out our final ball, we are going to struggle.

As for the chance from their goalie late on. When you think of it, he was lucky to get any where near the goal. On another day he scores but on the other 364 days it lands in the car park.
For 80 minutes I was certain it was going to finish 0-0. Wycombe are a poor team who don't offer much up front except for the eye catching physique of Akinfenwa, and we still look unconvincing going forward: Chaplin huffs and puffs, Thomas has no end product and Hiwula seems lightweight and looks uncertain of his role. JCH however continues to improve, and while not looking much of a goal threat, he does now at least sometimes win the ball in the air and successfully hold it up. Just a shame that those around him don't work well with others. But the 'just get crosses into the box' tactic - which had looked doomed to failure - surprisingly paid off. A great run down the right by Sterling, followed by the one decent cross of the match, and with the help of some suspect Wycomble defending - leaving the 5ft 6" Chaplin seemingly unmarked at the far post - that was that. On another day their very pink keeper would have scored an embarrassing equaliser right at the end, but he didn't. MOTM Sterling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paxman II

For 80 minutes I was certain it was going to finish 0-0. Wycombe are a poor team who don't offer much up front except for the eye catching physique of Akinfenwa, and we still look unconvincing going forward: Chaplin huffs and puffs, Thomas has no end product and Hiwula seems lightweight and looks uncertain of his role. JCH however continues to improve, and while not looking much of a goal threat, he does now at least sometimes win the ball in the air and successfully hold it up. Just a shame that those around him don't work well with others. But the 'just get crosses into the box' tactic - which had looked doomed to failure - surprisingly paid off. A great run down the right by Sterling, followed by the one decent cross of the match, and with the help of some suspect Wycomble defending - leaving the 5ft 6" Chaplin seemingly unmarked at the far post - that was that. On another day their very pink keeper would have scored an embarrassing equaliser right at the end, but he didn't. MOTM Sterling.

Well I'm dazed and confused by this!
Chaplin deserved his goal. We put in a number of great crosses that just required a tap in. Hardly call that one decent cross? JCH is the one who huffs and puffs.
Hiwula had a very good game, I have no idea what you mean by 'lightweight'?
Overall we played OK but the way Wycombe came to frustrate us it#s not surprising the game was a bit messy in part.

JulianDarbyFTW

The season we went down we had 18 points after 15 games (1.2 points per game) We've reached that after 13 games this time around (1.38 points per game), so an improvement, but not an incredible one.

dazed&confused

Chaplin deserved his goal. We put in a number of great crosses that just required a tap in. Hardly call that one decent cross? JCH is the one who huffs and puffs.
Overall we played OK but the way Wycombe came to frustrate us it#s not surprising the game was a bit messy in part.

It's all opinions.

dazed&confused

I disagree with most of it. After that first 50 mins I could see us getting a result. At 80 mins it did look like a draw. Chaplin had one golden chance and scored another. More confident will mean more goals. Wycombe didn't offer much going forward but until we sort out our final ball, we are going to struggle.

As for the chance from their goalie late on. When you think of it, he was lucky to get any where near the goal. On another day he scores but on the other 364 days it lands in the car park.

Just my opinion.

skybluesam66

The season we went down we had 18 points after 15 games (1.2 points per game) We've reached that after 13 games this time around (1.38 points per game), so an improvement, but not an incredible one.
we also had 22 points from 31 games and 26 points from 38 games
I think we can safely say we will get more than 4 points from the next 16 games and more than 8 from the next 25 games

CanadianCCFC

Hiwula is a headless chicken line Thomas but both have pace to burn so need to harness that more effectively

Midfield is a weakness

I think Hiwula’s got a decent idea of what to do with the ball, unlike thomas. He just doesn’t execute it

SBAndy

See, I was convinced that we were going to score. We had them rattled from about 35 mins onwards but the ball just wouldn't fall to a sky blue shirt in the right areas. I was, for once, glad that Robins stuck with the team and system for so long and it paid off. I couldn't see how bringing any of our subs on would influence the game in an attacking sense.

Otis

I thought today the limitations of having a left footed right winger and a right footed left winger were shown today. Thomas's inability to get a shot off is because he was desperate to cut back in on his left, and Hiwula would have provably scored if those second half chances had been on his right hand side.

Yeah, sort of, but Thomas seems to have trouble with his shooting and getting a shot off no matter what foot he's on.

luwalla

To be fair it’s not wher you are after 15 games though, if it was we’d finish mid table

we all know that. From the position we are in now, you can go an a big upward turn and find yourself in the top 3 , or you find yourself suddenly not being able to buy a win for a long time and in the relegation battle!

Based on us having played the top end of the table and doing ok, and Chaplin only just scoring his first goal in open play, I’m hoping it’s the former!

We will know more after Xmas, until then one game at a time

Grendel

You really haven’t a clue

Brighton Sky Blue

Had we taken some more of the gilt edged chances created their keeper would be scoring a consolation not the equaliser.

covcity4life

We looked far more dangerous on left flank with right footed hiwula than we did with left footed shipley recently. Do you agree?

Or would you prefer these limitations are removed a d we go back to the limitations that do not result in wins????

covcity4life

As for Thomas yes he never seems to release a shot but fuck me he scares defences and had a very good game today imo.

Liquid Gold

Thomas is incredibly frustrating. How can you have that pace and beat players for fun but not have any end product

stupot07

We looked far more dangerous on left flank with right footed hiwula than we did with left footed shipley recently. Do you agree?

Or would you prefer these limitations are removed a d we go back to the limitations that do not result in wins????
I would have liked to have seen them swap now and then , for a 5 minute burst on each wing. We looked dangerous because of their pace and directness, but the final end product was often poor as they weren't on their wrong side. They both played well yesterday.

Last edited:

Garryb80

Careful SlowerthanPlatt will be after you with comments like that

Users who are viewing this thread