Match Thread Coventry City vs QPR (2 Viewers)

LilleSkyBlue

Robin's post-match reaction on the offal is for once exactly what I wanted to say about the match.

We let - or couldn't prevent - QPR play their expansive game in the first half. Their players controlled the ball better than ours and used the full pitch, making us look second best. They seemed faster and bigger. The likes of Osayi Samuel and Osman Kakay had outrageous skills and I feared several times for Giles and Hyam down our left in particular. Godden's goal pepped things up and we set about imposing our game on them in the second half, which exposed their frailties in defence. O'Hare, Godden and Giles (amongst others) ended up having great games.

Travs

I think we have carried on in a similar way to last season.

Last year (and i mean absolutely no disrespect to CCFC) we did sometimes seem to be boys vs men.... but we were so much technically better than the teams we played against, that our slip-ups weren't punished, and as we all know, we ended up reasonably comfortable top of the league.

Last night we were the better footballing team again, but QPR looked significantly better at managing the game (boys vs men again). I think once again our technical superiority will see us through games... but not as easily or as many as last season.

If we played like that last night in League 1 we'd have probably been comfortable 3-0/4-1 winners. Last night was enough for 3-2... but against a strong championship promotion favourite, our mistakes (as opposed to technical level) would have seen us get a hiding.

I think there's enough quality in the squad to stay up comfortably. Whether we can improve on that will depend how quickly we wise up to Championship level decision-making.

SBbucks

The defending for the goals was piss poor. It wasn't dubious at all. it was a penalty no argument, mcfadzean got the player then the ball. If we give away two goals every game we will struggle. I agree to be honest we did do well at limiting their chances. But they are hardly a prolific team, and they are the type of side we should hope to beat in this division if we want to stay up.
From other comments on here I think you’re in the minority thinking it was a clear penalty, but it’s all down to opinions. I stand by what I said that our defending was good, with the exception of the penalty (when he didn’t need to make the challenge) and the mix-up from the corner when they both went for the same ball. However, if you still think ours was “piss poor” (noted that you now only mean the goals) then what would you call QPR’s, which was clearly much worse?

Brighton Sky Blue

From other comments on here I think you’re in the minority thinking it was a clear penalty, but it’s all down to opinions. I stand by what I said that our defending was good, with the exception of the penalty (when he didn’t need to make the challenge) and the mix-up from the corner when they both went for the same ball. However, if you still think ours was “piss poor” (noted that you now only mean the goals) then what would you call QPR’s, which was clearly much worse?

They had major defensive issues last season that the manager's still trying to fix. He is right though, we can't keep conceding two every week

SBbucks

They had major defensive issues last season that the manager's still trying to fix. He is right though, we can't keep conceding two every week
Agreed, they had (and still have) major defensive issues but they still finished 13th, mainly because they were 6th top scorers in the league. If we manage to limit teams to 2 chances per game (like we did last night) then we will have a very decent season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed, they had (and still have) major defensive issues but they still finished 13th, mainly because they were 6th top scorers in the league. If we manage to limit teams to 2 chances per game (like we did last night) then we will have a very decent season.

To be honest it's just one or two individual errors costing us goals and not just rampant disorganisation. The passing around the back is hard to watch though as teams are pressing us high

Gint11

Some QPR fans calling us a poor team is either sour grapes or harsh or both. Yes they dominated first half and we were poor but we dominated 2nd half completely and that’s the team we are! And to bite back, they dominated in a half our No1 had nothing to do!!

I’d rather have 38% and win than 68% possession and do nothing and lose. Sore losers.

Brighton Sky Blue

Some QPR fans calling us a poor team is either sour grapes or harsh or both. Yes they dominated first half and we were poor but we dominated 2nd half completely and that’s the team we are! And to bite back, they dominated in a half our No1 had nothing to do!!

I’d rather have 38% and win than 68% possession and do nothing and lose. Sore losers.

If you lose to a poor team...

Evo1883

QPR fans are bellends anyway

Magwitch

Looked to me like the QPR player put his leg across in front of McFadz leaving him nowhere to go.
The penalty was one of those you get now and then when I first saw it it looked like McFad had clattered him but on the various tv angles it looked a fair full bloodied tackle, it would depend on the refs position.

duffer

Well, without going into any huge analysis, I’ve got to say that I enjoyed that. Apart from most of the first half where we looked completely overawed, that is.

Robins continues to impress me, we were a different side in the second half which must have something to do with the halftime team talk.

O’Hare is the real deal, and we’ve done good business with Hamer too I reckon. At the risk of jinxing it, I fancy we’ll do ok this season; we just need to hold onto the gaffer and show faith in the periods when we’re struggling. Happy days.

Irish Sky Blue

The defending for the goals was piss poor. It wasn't dubious at all. it was a penalty no argument, mcfadzean got the player then the ball. If we give away two goals every game we will struggle. I agree to be honest we did do well at limiting their chances. But they are hardly a prolific team, and they are the type of side we should hope to beat in this division if we want to stay up.
From the stats given out on the TV last night it would seem that QPR are quite prolific. Their problem hasn't been scoring but defending. It’s hard to tell at the moment how the league will shape up. QPR may be struggling, they may not. To say they are a team we should expect to be beating however I think under values the performance, just how well we did to stay in the game first half and how we turned the tables to be deserved winners in the second. I thought it was a tremendous performance by a very young team.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think we have carried on in a similar way to last season.

Last year (and i mean absolutely no disrespect to CCFC) we did sometimes seem to be boys vs men.... but we were so much technically better than the teams we played against, that our slip-ups weren't punished, and as we all know, we ended up reasonably comfortable top of the league.

Last night we were the better footballing team again, but QPR looked significantly better at managing the game (boys vs men again). I think once again our technical superiority will see us through games... but not as easily or as many as last season.

If we played like that last night in League 1 we'd have probably been comfortable 3-0/4-1 winners. Last night was enough for 3-2... but against a strong championship promotion favourite, our mistakes (as opposed to technical level) would have seen us get a hiding.

I think there's enough quality in the squad to stay up comfortably. Whether we can improve on that will depend how quickly we wise up to Championship level decision-making.

Describing it as 'men v boys' when we won is a strange way of putting it.

QPR's game management wasn't good at all. They controlled the game in the same way MK Dons did in the season opener; dominating possession without creating meaningful chances. When they went 1-0 up, they lost the lead within 2-3 minutes - that is not good game management. They went on to have 1 shot on target in the second half, which was their goal and they didn't cope with our corners at all, their manager recognised this and his comments are fair, overall. In the end, we bounced back from a slow start very well and deserved the win in the end.

Dominating possession is a means to an end, if you have 60% possession and have; less shots, less corners and only 1 shot on target in the second half, the game plan hasn't worked.

Overall, 4 of the 5 goals were very naive goals to concede, from both teams. We kept QPR at arms length from open play, yet conceded two set piece goals, whilst QPR were pretty hopeless defending altogether.

There's a reason QPR's manager was fuming with the result.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m surprised at some of the comments on Allen. He’s fairly integral to the game plan. He’s high energy, gets into goal scoring positions and off ball is excellent

Agreed. But, there is a pressure for him and COH to get more goals this season because we don't have a lot of goalscorer's in this team.

Hobo

After conceding so early at Bristol I think we gave them too much respect early on, standing off them and defending deep. QPR just played keep ball and made us run around. Fortunately they thought they had 90 mins to get a 1-0 win. Once you lose control like that it is hard to get it back.

McFadz going into needless contact for the penalty was a blessing. It was a pen too, their play knicked it away and Mcfadz played his legs.

But we then had to attack and start playing our natural game.

Big learning curves from the two games so far. Very young inexperienced team who are adapting to a higher level.

So far we have done okay.

Liquid Gold

I'd be furious with the keeper if I was a QPR fan. First one through his legs, second he doesn't come off his line then the third he doesn't dive for

Sky Blue Pete

After conceding so early at Bristol I think we gave them too much respect early on, standing off them and defending deep. QPR just played keep ball and made us run around. Fortunately they thought they had 90 mins to get a 1-0 win. Once you lose control like that it is hard to get it back.

McFadz going into needless contact for the penalty was a blessing. It was a pen too, their play knicked it away and Mcfadz played his legs.

But we then had to attack and start playing our natural game.

Big learning curves from the two games so far. Very young inexperienced team who are adapting to a higher level.

So far we have done okay.
Watch the pen again he should have stayed on his feet but he gets the ball

Hobo

I'd be furious with the keeper if I was a QPR fan. First one through his legs, second he doesn't come off his line then the third he doesn't dive for

The first one is a keepers nightmare straight out of the strikers coaching book.

Free header far post executed perfectly down around his ankles.

Hobo

Watch the pen again he should have stayed on his feet but he gets the ball

In this day and age a tickle on the ball and a big piece of player isn't enough.

No complaints from McFadz either which tells its own story.

Ring Of Steel

From the stats given out on the TV last night it would seem that QPR are quite prolific. Their problem hasn't been scoring but defending. It’s hard to tell at the moment how the league will shape up. QPR may be struggling, they may not. To say they are a team we should expect to be beating however I think under values the performance, just how well we did to stay in the game first half and how we turned the tables to be deserved winners in the second. I thought it was a tremendous performance by a very young team.

People were also bigging QPR up because they beat a strongly fancied Forest last week, but then Forest just got beat again today so you can’t really read much into anything yet. I thought QPR’s keeper was terrible as which did them no favours- but overall whatever the background to it, doesn’t matter- we fully deserved to win and we did win. 3 points down, about 47 left to get 💪

Sky Blue Harry H

I’m surprised at some of the comments on Allen. He’s fairly integral to the game plan. He’s high energy, gets into goal scoring positions and off ball is excellent

Agree G, I just think that he occasionally gets brushed off the ball due to his slighter stature, and when he loses it that way in the middle of the park it gets noticed. A bit like Shippers when he backs off a tackle. I think (and hope) that the more match fitness Allen accumulates he will improve, as his game is based (as you point out) on high energy and still think we are a bit behind those teams who had less of a break.

Travs

Describing it as 'men v boys' when we won is a strange way of putting it.

QPR's game management wasn't good at all. They controlled the game in the same way MK Dons did in the season opener; dominating possession without creating meaningful chances. When they went 1-0 up, they lost the lead within 2-3 minutes - that is not good game management. They went on to have 1 shot on target in the second half, which was their goal and they didn't cope with our corners at all, their manager recognised this and his comments are fair, overall. In the end, we bounced back from a slow start very well and deserved the win in the end.

Dominating possession is a means to an end, if you have 60% possession and have; less shots, less corners and only 1 shot on target in the second half, the game plan hasn't worked.

Overall, 4 of the 5 goals were very naive goals to concede, from both teams. We kept QPR at arms length from open play, yet conceded two set piece goals, whilst QPR were pretty hopeless defending altogether.

There's a reason QPR's manager was fuming with the result.

As i said, it was in no way a criticism of the team, and indeed probably a poor choice of phrase... but the fact that QPR were bigger, stronger, etc, is the point i was making.

It is a point i have seen made on here over many years... that we have been "bullied" by teams, or other teams have "played the referee"... and i think we will come up against this a lot this season... we had the quality last season for it to hardly be an issue... this season it may well be that we lose a significant amount of games that we think we were good enough to win or draw (Bristol City for one?)

Irish Sky Blue

Well, without going into any huge analysis, I’ve got to say that I enjoyed that. Apart from most of the first half where we looked completely overawed, that is.

Robins continues to impress me, we were a different side in the second half which must have something to do with the halftime team talk.

O’Hare is the real deal, and we’ve done good business with Hamer too I reckon. At the risk of jinxing it, I fancy we’ll do ok this season; we just need to hold onto the gaffer and show faith in the periods when we’re struggling. Happy days.
One of the comments made by the commentator or one of the pundits last night was that last season our style smothered teams. I am not sure he was being entirely complementary as he was comparing the fact we conceded the least amount of goals in League One with, what to him, seemed a fairly meagre total of goals for. These stats don’t tell the story at all of the, at times, scintillating attacking football that won us the title. However, I do agree to an extent with his ‘smothering’ analogy. Teams do have a real problem in breaking us down, as shown perfectly in the first half last night and even at Bristol last week. Chances conceded from open play are few and far between. I feel that the way we play will generally keep us in the game in most matches and still give us the chance to win when maybe only scoring one goal. Only one of the four conceded so far has been from open play and that was in the first 20 seconds when we were caught cold. I think we will do okay this season.

Users who are viewing this thread