Match Thread Coventry City vs QPR (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

We have three in the first two games

We have four in the league, which is a good start.

Thankfully, our role players really contributed last season, but after Gooden, our top goal scorer in the league was Shipley with 5 goals.

My point is that we have a largely unchanged system and personnel to last season, and because we didn’t score that many goals, it’s an area the current starters need to improve on.

Mucca Mad Boys

As i said, it was in no way a criticism of the team, and indeed probably a poor choice of phrase... but the fact that QPR were bigger, stronger, etc, is the point i was making.

It is a point i have seen made on here over many years... that we have been "bullied" by teams, or other teams have "played the referee"... and i think we will come up against this a lot this season... we had the quality last season for it to hardly be an issue... this season it may well be that we lose a significant amount of games that we think we were good enough to win or draw (Bristol City for one?)

Realistically, we’re probably going to lose more games than we win this season. We’re one of, if not the youngest squad in the league. On top of that, we have next to no Championship experience aside from McFadz and Allen. It’s a given we’re going to drop points through naivety.

The QPR game last night reminded me of the Rotherham game last season. They were ‘bigger’ and ‘stronger’ than us and controlled the game in the early stages. Then we got back into it and we’re unlucky to not win the game in the end. Being a physical team is not our identity and we can’t be all things at once.

So far, we’ve played two middling Championship clubs, and we’ve performed well against them. I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen so far. There’s certainly things to improve on, but more positives than negatives.

Liquid Gold

Realistically, we’re probably going to lose more games than we win this season. We’re one of, if not the youngest squad in the league. On top of that, we have next to no Championship experience aside from McFadz and Allen. It’s a given we’re going to drop points through naivety.

The QPR game last night reminded me of the Rotherham game last season. They were ‘bigger’ and ‘stronger’ than us and controlled the game in the early stages. Then we got back into it and we’re unlucky to not win the game in the end. Being a physical team is not our identity and we can’t be all things at once.

So far, we’ve played two middling Championship clubs, and we’ve performed well against them. I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen so far. There’s certainly things to improve on, but more positives than negatives.
I don't get what you mean by this. We did win last night and we definitely didn't deserve anything from the Rotherham game last year

Edit: I forgot about the home game.

Mucca Mad Boys

One of the comments made by the commentator or one of the pundits last night was that last season our style smothered teams. I am not sure he was being entirely complementary as he was comparing the fact we conceded the least amount of goals in League One with, what to him, seemed a fairly meagre total of goals for. These stats don’t tell the story at all of the, at times, scintillating attacking football that won us the title. However, I do agree to an extent with his ‘smothering’ analogy. Teams do have a real problem in breaking us down, as shown perfectly in the first half last night and even at Bristol last week. Chances conceded from open play are few and far between. I feel that the way we play will generally keep us in the game in most matches and still give us the chance to win when maybe only scoring one goal. Only one of the four conceded so far has been from open play and that was in the first 20 seconds when we were caught cold. I think we will do okay this season.

It’ll be interesting to see what will happen when we take the lead in a game.

The early sign is that we’re continuing our doggedness when going a goal behind. What we need to prove is that we can hold onto to our leads when we eventually get them.

Users who are viewing this thread