Match Thread Coventry City vs QPR (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

I'm going to have another post of these things.

I am having problems seeing them on a tablet doing three in one post.

Colin Steins Smile

Typical average fan mentality. No consideration or knowledge around our identity or brand of football, bet the guy who called us a terrible team loves a 4-4-2 and a CB cut from the same cloth as Tom Davies who can lump it up to the big man. Probably shouts "FORWARDDD" atleast 30 times each game.

QPR were absolutely there for the taking in the second half and the same can be said about Bristol City for the first 45 minutes last week. Imperative that we got this win today as it'll hopefully give our players that belief we belong here.
I had the misfortune to sit near a bloke who shouted that every home game last season

skybluegod

Good match last night, defending was piss poor on our part but happy with the result.
Mcfadzean had no need to commit the tackle for the pen he was going nowhere. And the to conceded an almost identical goal from the corner as at Bristol is criminal, and I think Robins has to take the blame for that for not sorting that out.
I'm a Shipley fan in general but thought he was too anonymous. But was ok when needed.

You could tell our third goal was coming after missing two chances from corners minutes prior. Hamer's delivery is immense and it could be a real asset, but we need to make sure it doesn't take us 3 chances in future.

Happy to be off the board!

Sky Blue Pete

Good match last night, defending was piss poor on our part but happy with the result.
Mcfadzean had no need to commit the tackle for the pen he was going nowhere. And the to conceded an almost identical goal from the corner as at Bristol is criminal, and I think Robins has to take the blame for that for not sorting that out.
I'm a Shipley fan in general but thought he was too anonymous. But was ok when needed.

You could tell our third goal was coming after missing two chances from corners minutes prior. Hamer's delivery is immense and it could be a real asset, but we need to make sure it doesn't take us 3 chances in future.

Did you see their goal? Nothing like Bristols

mrtrench

Best moment of my family holiday in sunny Rhodes on the last night, meeting a fellow city in a bar watching the game for him to call the mcfadzen winner before the corner we went nuts PUSB

Arrived in corfu last night in time to see the second half. I was the only person in the bar even watching. Pusb

robbiethemole

The one thing I've noticed is how fecking big some Champ players seem to be. That Cameron bloke looked like a real monster last night and none of them are shy of leaving a foot in either, there was a lot of league 1 clogging done, just a bit quicker. We should have had a pen O,Hare nearly had his shirt ripped off and some decisions were definitely dodgy. Overall very happy with a fighting win, and we don't look out of place. PUSB

SBbucks

I’m not sure how you could describe our defending as “piss poor”. We defended well for most of the match, restricting a decent championship team (with a few exceptional players) to very few clear chances; I can only remember the penalty (which was dubious), the mistake from the corner which resulted in the 2nd goal, and the good shot at the end which was going in until it hit their own player. Other than that I can’t remember any times I thought they would score. Despite them having 70% possession in the first half we kept our shape well and snuffed them out before it got dangerous. Second half we had very little to defend but did it well, obviously apart from the mistake from the corner (which 9 times out of 10 would not have been finished like that).
If we can keep teams to that number of chances we will do ok in this division.

clint van damme

I’m not sure how you could describe our defending as “piss poor”. We defended well for most of the match, restricting a decent championship team (with a few exceptional players) to very few clear chances; I can only remember the penalty (which was dubious), the mistake from the corner which resulted in the 2nd goal, and the good shot at the end which was going in until it hit their own player. Other than that I can’t remember any times I thought they would score. Despite them having 70% possession in the first half we kept our shape well and snuffed them out before it got dangerous. Second half we had very little to defend but did it well, obviously apart from the mistake from the corner (which 9 times out of 10 would not have been finished like that).

I have now watched 3 Championship games this season and every one has included a set piece goal.
Is that down to poor defending or better quality set pieces?
One thing is for sure we had to improve the quality of our set pieces and we have done just that. Now to work on the defensive part, I would ditch zonal marking for a start personally.

Legia Sky Blue

Their 2nd goal was more down to an unlucky set of circumstances than actual bad defending in my opinion. If Ostigard hadn't challenged for it Dabo would have had a comfortable clearance, but as a centre back you prefer your defenders to attack the ball than leave it to others, so my criticism of Ostigard is tempered by that. Even then it was still unfortunate to fall to their man at the back post, who to be fair still had a bit to do to score from where he was but finished really well. Other than that I thought we defended pretty well and limited them to few chances all game.

RegTheDonk

Nerves a bit more settled after that display. We CAN create chances and we took them well. Pleased for Faz to get one, particularly after that soft pen. Only blemish was again a cross to the far post caught us out ... only this time two of them went for the ball instead of nobody.

Up and running, well done City.

Limey

Their 2nd goal was more down to an unlucky set of circumstances than actual bad defending in my opinion. If Ostigard hadn't challenged for it Dabo would have had a comfortable clearance, but as a centre back you prefer your defenders to attack the ball than leave it to others, so my criticism of Ostigard is tempered by that. Even then it was still unfortunate to fall to their man at the back post, who to be fair still had a bit to do to score from where he was but finished really well. Other than that I thought we defended pretty well and limited them to few chances all game.
I actually thought Dabo hindered Ostigard for that goal. Ostigard was attacking the ball face on if I recall. Both games have highlighted how much more organised we need to be in this league although defensively as a team we did well I thought.

robbiethemole

Was that first half by design or were we just off the pace? I'd like to think Robins told them to conserve some energy after running out of steam last week, and last night we finished much stronger than QPR, so was it a tactical masterstroke by the gaffer?

I love how other fans are back to saying "it's only Coventry", let them under-estimate us every time please.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can just imagine, having read the comments on here, what a wave of negativity would have been washing down from the stands after the first half performance - up to our equaliser.

It would be interesting to see if the nerves from the stands given how that first half went and they took the lead would've affected our ability to get back into it.

We seem to have a bunch of lads that have faith in themselves and even the fans are now more akin to thinking we can get back into it if we go behind, but you never know.

Monners

Good second half performance. I like Robins comment that the players don’t appreciate how good they are. Dabo, Hamer and O’Hare were excellent. I like the fact that we have a genuine goal poacher in Godden.

mrtrench

Sample size is tiny but so far I've noticed weakness at the back post from crosses and corners. And then Godden did them the same way.

During the Strachan era we used to put corners to the near post for a flick on. That was effective and clever. Not convinced by Fadz's attacking headers as he has no power and little direction but he proved me wrong last night.

CCFCSteve

Great win last night. Really had to hang in there first half (and probably didn’t deserve to be level at HT). Having said that for all QPRs possession (they knocked it about well first half) we kept them at a distance. Second half was impressive, great character and a couple of little bits of quality when needed. Chuffed with the result but got to get better from defending set pieces !

BC and QPR are decent at this level and we’ve more than held our own. Fair play lads, keep it up

skybluegod

The defending for the goals was piss poor. It wasn't dubious at all. it was a penalty no argument, mcfadzean got the player then the ball. If we give away two goals every game we will struggle. I agree to be honest we did do well at limiting their chances. But they are hardly a prolific team, and they are the type of side we should hope to beat in this division if we want to stay up.

covcity4life

If you read the whole thread - certainly the section covering the first half - the QPR comments you refer to match many of those on here....

There's also another comment pasting a number of positive comments made by their fans.
Yeah it's silly . Focus on negatives. Same with refs and pundits. They are always terrible to cov fans

Odd!

clint van damme

The defending for the goals was piss poor. It wasn't dubious at all. it was a penalty no argument, mcfadzean got the player then the ball. If we give away two goals every game we will struggle. I agree to be honest we did do well at limiting their chances. But they are hardly a prolific team, and they are the type of side we should hope to beat in this division if we want to stay up.

I'm not sure how you can say penalty no argument, admittedly I can see why it was given but it was far from clear cut and nowhere near as blatant as the one we should have had.

Agree it was still poor defending because if he doesn't challenge the ref has no desicion to make.

Users who are viewing this thread