Match Thread Coventry City vs. Portsmouth Match Thread - Tuesday 2nd Oct (18 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

See Pompey have sold just over 1700, so I would expect 2,000(perhaps a few more) with pay on the gate. Attendance of about 12,000 ?

Gint11

Bit worried about this game. I’m happy with our start knowing little tweaks are needed but we are consolidating which is good as a promoted team. Anything better is a bonus this season.
However we are low on goals and Pompey are firing so we will need them to have an off night and we need to take 1/2 chances to realistically get anything.

Otherwise I can see a drubbing.

Great_Expectations

If we put in a similar performance to Saturday I’d expect a draw minimum.

JCH had a fantastic game on Saturday, but it’s now on him to prove that’s his level and his new norm, as opposed to a one off in front of the cameras.

Thomas has been criticised by some for his lack of end product. I agree it needs to improve but he’s outlet and his pace/skill are a constant threat. We missed it when he went off. People need to remember, last time Jones was in L1 he was poor. Let’s not expect miracles from him straight away.

I’d play Hiwula in place of Chaplin, he’s the most like for like and I’m surprised he’s so far down the pecking order, as he showed potential on the games I saw, despite behind stuck on the wing.

How long is Brown out for? And I assume Mason is still out too?

I hope Burge is available as I’m sure his confidence is sky high, which is a positive ahead of a game against a team on form.

2 - 1 City, JCH, Bayliss.

Londonccfcfan

By most accounts It seems Chaplins not available.

Andreu should and will likely get his chance,(must be chomping at the bit) to play just behind or up beside JCH like he did against Gills away.

Jones I would ease into the team. All this talk of him starting. Isn’t happening.

3-1 Coventry Win.

1 Andreu, 1 Bayliss, and 1 for Thomas.

Robin Fisher

Does anybody know if Chaplin can play?
View attachment 10617
Chaplin can not play, that is a definite. It's a question we have been asking down here and it was answered yesterday by Mr Jackett himself who explained that as this is a loan transfer at the moment which becomes a full transfer in January. The player can not play against his parent club, Football League rules apparently. I wonder what Chaplin felt about playing against his team that he supports. I know he is a professional and he would want to win, which is what you would expect, but it must be strange to play against the team you dreamed of playing for ever since he was a small boy. His family must feel a little odd as well as they want Pompey to do well but they would also want the best for their boy. It's happened before, of course, where players come up against the team they support. In fact it must happen all the time. We had an odd situation here a couple of years ago when we played at a team (I can't remember who) Fratton Park just after we had secured promotion and a player in the opposing team celebrated in front of the Fratton End with the home players after the game, apparently he was a Pompey fan.

runner

On the Cov Evening Telegraph ... it's saying Mark Robins is considering dropping JCH (purely to rest him) and obviously has to drop Chaplin and start with Baka and Jiwula ... surely he won't change the front end that much ... this must be a bluff surely ?

Robin Fisher

Are you happy with Chaplin, or is it a case of the 'jury's out' situation. I am sure he will score goals for you and I think you have landed a very good player in the making.

Magwitch

Interesting one, if Brown is fit I’d think he’ll play but I thought Davies was excellent when he came on I’d play him alongside Hyam and have Willis at right back
On the Cov Evening Telegraph ... it's saying Mark Robins is considering dropping JCH (purely to rest him) ?
Rest him ? In the heyday of Liverpool they used just 14 players all season and most seasons one year winning the league, league cup European cup and losing in the FA Cup final aswell as individual players most of them actually playing for their respective countries too.

skyblueeyesrevisited

I think MR comments on resting JCH are a ploy to keep him on his toes and keep Jacket guessing. He wants JCH to replicate the effort he put in on Saturday.
I think the front two will be JCH and Andrew with Bakayoko and Jones or Hiwula coming on when they run out of steam.

One last word on jacket - suggest you go for a heavy coat instead as the temperature is due to drop to single figures tonight.

hinckley cov

Are you happy with Chaplin, or is it a case of the 'jury's out' situation. I am sure he will score goals for you and I think you have landed a very good player in the making.
He’s looked good since he came in , just needs a chance to go in and should of scored Sunday but I’m sure he will come good.

Fergusons_Beard

Unbelievable that Chaplin can’t play-he’s on loan with a view to a permanent move-so therefore he’s our player.

What a slip up that there was a clause in the contract stipulating he can’t play.

Same thing happened at Sheff Utd where Ryan Leonard was loaned to Millwall with a transfer in Jan. Chris Wilder let him play against Utd-saying that he’s Millwalls player.

For what it’s worth I don’t think we’ll miss Chaplin and we are due to smash a team and I have a positive feeling that tonite is the start of our goal run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CovInEssex

Anyone remember a couple of years ago when Cardiff gave us a "footballing lesson" on a Tuesday night? Lost 3-0 at home.

I feel like tonight is gonna go the same way.

Cracking support from Pompey too.

11k on the gate

SlowerThanPlatt

They’ve got a really good forward line. As well as top scorers Jamal Lowe (6) and Ronan Curtis (5) they’ve got Brett Pitman (ex Ipswich & Bournemouth) and Joe Mason (ex Cardiff & Wolves)

Warwickhunt

If we put in a similar performance to Saturday I’d expect a draw minimum.

JCH had a fantastic game on Saturday, but it’s now on him to prove that’s his level and his new norm, as opposed to a one off in front of the cameras.

Thomas has been criticised by some for his lack of end product. I agree it needs to improve but he’s outlet and his pace/skill are a constant threat. We missed it when he went off. People need to remember, last time Jones was in L1 he was poor. Let’s not expect miracles from him straight away.

I’d play Hiwula in place of Chaplin, he’s the most like for like and I’m surprised he’s so far down the pecking order, as he showed potential on the games I saw, despite behind stuck on the wing.

How long is Brown out for? And I assume Mason is still out too?

I hope Burge is available as I’m sure his confidence is sky high, which is a positive ahead of a game against a team on form.

2 - 1 City, JCH, Bayliss.
JCH may not have recovered i time for the Tuesday game as he expended an awful lot of energy against Sunderland would not be surprised if MR holds him back on the Bench until the second half

CovInEssex

Think I've got a couple of spare season tickets for tonight from our group as the lads work nights. Block 15. If anyone wants to drop a message and I'll get back when it's concrete.

Greggs

They’ve got a really good forward line. As well as top scorers Jamal Lowe (6) and Ronan Curtis (5) they’ve got Brett Pitman (ex Ipswich & Bournemouth) and Joe Mason (ex Cardiff & Wolves)
whoooa whoa we've got Micheal Doyle

Users who are viewing this thread