Match Thread Coventry City vs Middlesbrough Play off Semi final 1st leg Match Thread -Sunday 14th May (1 Viewer)

bawtryneal

Robins got lucky again,his team selection and lack of subs will get coventry a thrashing.why take off Eccles defending midfielder for a attacking midfielder, Allen.godden should have been replaced by allen

It's funny really
The more he practices the luckier he gets !

Take your negative comments somewhere else

Sky Blue Pete

Hard to know what to take from today’s game. Outside of the euphoria of making it into the play-offs and the good point on the road I actually thought we were pretty poor in the second half. I don’t know if it was nerves from us, whether they just kicked it up a notch or maybe a combination of the two but we were really struggling to keep hold of the ball for most of that second 45. So many sloppy bit of play under little pressure and a lot of panic-driven actions. Execution of the outball to Gyokeres was so poor as well. We’ve been so good at getting the ball to him on the break this season and letting him do his thing but that was really lacking today.

Like I said I think you can probably attribute a lot of it to nerves, and it felt like we noticeably relaxed and started playing better as soon as we knew Blackburn were ahead, but they also passed the ball around so well and looked very confident in doing so. We did well to limit to them to few chances, the centre backs were outstanding as usual, and Kelly was great too, but we also invited them onto us so much and it felt like if they’d had wanted it a bit more they might have been able to put us under a bit of pressure and find a winner.

How that all impacts the game on Sunday, I’m not sure. Their injuries seem to be impacting them a fair bit, especially at the back, and I think we saw today in the first half especially, that we can get at them. Not sure whether I’d start Godden or not for this one, I think he struggles to impact the game as much in these games where we don’t have much of the ball and he can be painfully slow (there was one instance in the first half today where he looked clean through and Lenihan pretty comfortably caught up with him from a worse starting position), however he has also been good in our last two home games and we might play with a bit more of the ball in this one.

Think that if we can get at least a 1 goal advantage to take to the Riverside then we should have a good chance, but it’s going to be a really tough game. Fingers crossed.
It’s not his pace for me it’s goddens lack of ball control.

slowpoke

It’s not his pace for me it’s goddens lack of ball control.
I thought Godden did okay overall, our long balls were never going to suit his game but he worked his nuts off ahead of our midfield, a tough job. I was a bit critical of him flirting with offside when it just needed a little look along the line, but I thought he put a decent shift in.

Evo1883

I thought Godden did okay overall, our long balls were never going to suit his game but he worked his nuts off ahead of our midfield, a tough job. I was a bit critical of him flirting with offside when it just needed a little look along the line, but I thought he put a decent shift in.

Worked hard , also for the goal looked to me like godden tried to push it back across the defender to shoot but the failed to get it over the defenders legs ..he never tried to control it

Godden was playing back infront of the back line quite often yesterday , can't fault any of the lads

Julie SBA

With a lot of the midfield now fit again, I would go back to Vik on his own up top.
Allen in for Godden and if he's ready I think Sheaf gets the nod over Eccles, sorry Josh....
Rest of the team unchanged.
BNC will get targeted and I'm concerned down that side, but Dabo just isn't a credible option anymore and certainly not at this stage
Be nice if we can take a lead up to the Riverside, although right now I think I'd almost take a draw. scary stuff :)

SIR ERNIE

Take a two goal lead to the Riverside. We're more than capable of doing that and that'll be enough imo.
They'll have to come at us in the second leg and that'll suit us.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’d start 3-5-2 at home, the midfield has a nice balance to it and allows Hamer to attack. As for Godden, not been amazing in open play but he’s the person you want to a clear cut chance to fall to. Had Hamer should’ve picked out Godden rather than shooting before the goal.

Away, depending on the outcome of the first leg, I’d revert to the box and use the extra legs in midfield to press more.

It’s a tough tie but I back is to beat Middlesborough at home.

Bugsy

song for Adi

Ohhhhhhh Adi Viveash

....PUSB

slowpoke

Don’t worry despite their over jubilant fans yesterday Carrick will be well wary of us, in full flow we can be rampant and I’m well happy going up there for the second leg silence the crowd early on.

SeaSeeEffCee

It’s a very good record and we’ve been really good at home vs top sides this year, although I don’t know how much you can take from us beating Middlesbrough in September while they had Wilder in charge and half their team was different.

ccfcricoh

no changes for me - although depending on score line would like to see Allen on the pitch a bit earlier, get some more minutes in him so he can play more of a role in the away leg.

Similar with Sheaf too

If we can take a lead (even 1 goal) up to Boro, i'll be very confident

Sky Blue Pete

No doubt

fernandopartridge

It’s a very good record and we’ve been really good at home vs top sides this year, although I don’t know how much you can take from us beating Middlesbrough in September while they had Wilder in charge and half their team was different.

It was also our first win of the season and i'd argue that we've come on a bit since then

kg82

Worked hard , also for the goal looked to me like godden tried to push it back across the defender to shoot but the failed to get it over the defenders legs ..he never tried to control it

Godden was playing back infront of the back line quite often yesterday , can't fault any of the lads
That’s how I saw it too.
Also, can someone clear up that offside for me when Hamer pushed the ball backward, away from their goal, it hit their player and went to Godden, who was in an offside position. But, the touch was off their player. I could understand it if Gus had played it even slightly forward and it’s gone off their player to Godden, but the fact he was pushing it away from their goal confused the hell out of me how it could be offside.

Sky Blue Pete

That’s how I saw it too.
Also, can someone clear up that offside for me when Hamer pushed the ball backward, away from their goal, it hit their player and went to Godden, who was in an offside position. But, the touch was off their player. I could understand it if Gus had played it even slightly forward and it’s gone off their player to Godden, but the fact he was pushing it away from their goal confused the hell out of me how it could be offside.
It’s correct it happened in the last game too when Hamer played it back and it accidentally came off the defender and to yok in an offside position

We checked and the law states if it’s an accidental ricochet off the defender it’s offside, if it’s deliberate it’s onside

kg82

It’s correct it happened in the last game too when Hamer played it back and it accidentally came off the defender and to yok in an offside position

We checked and the law states if it’s an accidental ricochet off the defender it’s offside, if it’s deliberate it’s onside
Thought it must have been something like that. Bit of a weird rule.

Sky Blue Pete

Thought it must have been something like that. Bit of a weird rule.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

It’s not clear though really

Users who are viewing this thread