Match Thread Coventry City vs Middlesbrough Play off Semi final 1st leg Match Thread -Sunday 14th May (3 Viewers)

Bugsy

tom88

Shoe is on the other foot now.

Middlesborough now have something to play for compared to recent weeks.

We have showed guts, bravery and determination to be where we are.

I can see us beating them at home.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Shoe is on the other foot now.

Middlesborough now have something to play for compared to recent weeks.

We have showed guts, bravery and determination to be where we are.

I can see us beating them at home.

That's the only thing that worries me about Middlesbrough. Although I think we stand a very good chance at getting through to the final they have definitely taken the foot off the gas in recent weeks - as shown by their performance in parts yesterday - and they've clearly rested players to avoid racking up more injuries.

If key players return and they come out all guns blazing (as I expect they will) then they'll be a different animal altogether.

They've lost all momentum though from a few weeks ago so this approach by Carrick is either a mammoth cock up or it'll pay off.

Briles

Our last 4 games have basically been cup finals. I feel the team are in that mindset whereas Middlesborough need to get up to speed. We have the momentum. I think we will make the final.

Sky Blue Pete

Our last 4 games have basically been cup finals. I feel the team are in that mindset whereas Middlesborough need to get up to speed. We have the momentum. I think we will make the final.
Yep the run since Stoke will really help
They’ve not won in three

Think it will be tight - hopefully decided by good football and not a dive or dodgy pen or offside (with the caveat that if it goes in our favour I’ll get over it)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Play offs are anyone’s game. No certain winner, may the best team win.

Could go to penalties. That will be nerve wracking.

nervous gameshow GIF by Deal Or No Deal

Brighton Sky Blue

Hard to know what to take from today’s game. Outside of the euphoria of making it into the play-offs and the good point on the road I actually thought we were pretty poor in the second half. I don’t know if it was nerves from us, whether they just kicked it up a notch or maybe a combination of the two but we were really struggling to keep hold of the ball for most of that second 45. So many sloppy bit of play under little pressure and a lot of panic-driven actions. Execution of the outball to Gyokeres was so poor as well. We’ve been so good at getting the ball to him on the break this season and letting him do his thing but that was really lacking today.

Like I said I think you can probably attribute a lot of it to nerves, and it felt like we noticeably relaxed and started playing better as soon as we knew Blackburn were ahead, but they also passed the ball around so well and looked very confident in doing so. We did well to limit to them to few chances, the centre backs were outstanding as usual, and Kelly was great too, but we also invited them onto us so much and it felt like if they’d had wanted it a bit more they might have been able to put us under a bit of pressure and find a winner.

How that all impacts the game on Sunday, I’m not sure. Their injuries seem to be impacting them a fair bit, especially at the back, and I think we saw today in the first half especially, that we can get at them. Not sure whether I’d start Godden or not for this one, I think he struggles to impact the game as much in these games where we don’t have much of the ball and he can be painfully slow (there was one instance in the first half today where he looked clean through and Lenihan pretty comfortably caught up with him from a worse starting position), however he has also been good in our last two home games and we might play with a bit more of the ball in this one.

Think that if we can get at least a 1 goal advantage to take to the Riverside then we should have a good chance, but it’s going to be a really tough game. Fingers crossed.

I think conceding right on half time like that was a key factor. We had otherwise nullified them in the first half but that goal caused some nerves to set in.

Colin Steins Smile

I think conceding right on half time like that was a key factor. We had otherwise nullified them in the first half but that goal caused some nerves to set in.
MR's comment about the statistic of boro scoring a lot of goals soon after half time was insightful. They clearly came out with a lot more purpose.

CaptainCook

MR's comment about the statistic of boro scoring a lot of goals soon after half time was insightful. They clearly came out with a lot more purpose.
Boro were 2nd top scorers in the Champ and had the 2nd worst record for clean sheets so sure there'll be goals from both teams in both legs...both teams to score and pick your first goalscorer doubles all round..

Sky Blue Harry H

Might be twaddle, and I challenged my brother (more than once) as to whether he meant Ramsey, but he says that the NE press are saying tonight that Cameron Archer has been ruled out for the rest of the season?! (my brother lives in Newcastle) Nice - if true.

CaptainCook

Take a two goal lead to the Riverside. We're more than capable of doing that and that'll be enough imo.
They'll have to come at us in the second leg and that'll suit us.
Can't see us (Boro) not scoring but defence is leaky. Think we've gone behind in 7 out of the last 8 games so more than capable of hitting back if we go behind...

Sky Blue Harry H

Can't see us (Boro) not scoring but defence is leaky. Think we've gone behind in 7 out of the last 8 games so more than capable of hitting back if we go behind...
Talking to my brother tonight, and he was telling me Archer is out for you? I said, don't yu mean Ramsey. He was adamant it was Archer, and being reported in NE press. True, or is my brother mistaken?

Macca

I’d take going up there level then the 2nd leg is a straight shoot out, no mind games.

Well that or a 6-0 win

Users who are viewing this thread