Match Thread Coventry City vs. Luton Town Match Thread - Saturday 15th Dec (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Outclassed in every part of the pitch today, to think we can make playoffs is unrealistic unless we go completely on the rampage in the new year. We might be about where we are in terms of team quality. We look lacklustre going forward with no cutting edge. Bit worried this season will fizzle out and we will find ourselves languishing in the bottom near the end (nevermind the stadium issue to look forward too)

Forever_Blue

We need a really good look at ourselves. What has happened to us? There is no fluidity, not enough attacking play or chances created. We badly need a striker up top who can use the ball well and get Chaplin in the box. Bayliss is too lightweight for too much of the game, we need a ball player who can add to the midfield and give Bayliss more freedom. Shipley, JCH, Hiwula not anywhere near worth a starting place.
Shipley and Hiwula wouldn’t cut it at Nuneaton

luwalla

Burge had been brilliant up until last week, but I’m afraid he’s starting to fall back into old habits. I get the impression mentally he’s very weak.

Can you name me a player that is playing better than they were a few weeks ago then ? He is no more mentally weak than any of the other under Performers.

Mucca Mad Boys

So where have we strengthened? Luton got promoted, as did Accrignton and Wycombe. They have all improved, whereas we've gotten weaker. Junior Brown no better than Stokes, Baka Chaplin and Hiwula better than McWankty and Biamou?

We’re above Accrington Stanley and Wycombe (edit: misread the table whoops).

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

We are not, Wycombe above us and Accrington 1 point below with a game in hand over us

Before our bad run Accrington Stanley were above us. Puts that one into perspective — their in bad form too.

The table is very fluid, a run of form shoots any team up the table. There’s a difference between a run of bad form and being a bad team.

Our 5 game win streak has inflated expectations artificially.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

They definitely played a part in me deciding to leave before the end of the match, first time I've ever done that. But the bigger reason for leaving was that not only were we complete shit nobody looked the slightest bit interested in trying to turn things around.

Also first time I’ve ever left early. Left on 80 minutes having been tempted since the second went on. Obviously the weather today was different compared to the 100s of games I’ve been to before BUT the main thing was we never looked like scoring. Thomas, Kelly and Brown only players worth any praise at all. Burges distribution gets worse and worse. In the 80 minutes I was there he put it into touch three times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

So where have we strengthened? Luton got promoted, as did Accrignton and Wycombe. They have all improved, whereas we've gotten weaker. Junior Brown no better than Stokes, Baka Chaplin and Hiwula better than McWankty and Biamou?

Brown is definitely better than Stokes...

Old Warwickshire lad

Also first time I’ve ever left early. Left on 80 minutes having been tempted since the second went on. Obviously the weather today was different compared to the 100s of games I’ve been to before BUT the main thing was we never looked like scoring. Thomas, Kelly and Brown only players worth any praise at all. Burges distribution gets worse and worse. In the 80 minutes I was there he put it into touch three times

Stuck it out till 86 min,not even bothered I missed the penalty

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Really disappointing. Couldn't go today but from the comments here there is a level of commitment and application that is expected whoever we are playing. But that's not just the players on the pitch. Doesn't seem to have been there today

Cavan O'Doherty

Can you name me a player that is playing better than they were a few weeks ago then ? He is no more mentally weak than any of the other under Performers.
I think everyone can see that Burge is a massive confidence player. You can tell from the first cross of the game whether he’s going to have a good game or not. If he drops or fumbles one early on then that tends to set the tone for the rest of the game, and sometimes the next few games.

Ashdown

Now beginning to think our visits jinx the team. Firstly, what a bloody awful day, maybe I need a new coat but that was a biting wind in block 36 and the rain just blew straight in. anyway back to the match { men against boys } that was wedged between the two best bits of my afternoon { the all day breakfast at the Bull and getting back in the car } ! I really think that we only had 10 men as Hiwula surely didn't actually count as playing ? Those who did touch the ball like Shipley and JCH { when he could be bothered to move around at all } looked like pub players. Looking for pluses I'd say were in a few good defensive headers and interceptions and of course Justin Thomas who lets face it is head and shoulders above his fellow players here in both skill and effort. That lad does need more of an end product but then when your so called team mates just stand and watch he has to run up blind alleys and finally lose it. That lad will go onto better things, he's only young and will develop.........going back to the effort.......if he can strive hard all game in those conditions why couldn't the others ?!
Robins..........have to be honest, has bought badly and doesn't know how to change a game and I'm now wondering if he can motivate either when the chips are down ?!

W

westcountry_skyblue

Just got home to WSM
Horrible weather
Gave them to much respect
Need a goal scorer
Shipley just not good enough
Goodnight all I’m off for a few ciders!!!

Adge

Well that was men against boys from the first whistle. Not the best conditions but it’s the same for both teams. Luton are a good team who controlled the game from the off and in reality we are bang average. They were never going to lose the game due to our inability in the final third. If it’s true that Chaplin/Hiwula and Baka cost 1m between them then that is money down the drain. They will not score enough goals for us to be a challenge at the top end and that is the problem that will haunt us all season.

Old Warwickshire lad

Well that was men against boys from the first whistle. Not the best conditions but it’s the same for both teams. Luton are a good team who controlled the game from the off and in reality we are bang average. They were never going to lose the game due to our inability in the final third. If it’s true that Chaplin/Hiwula and Baka cost 1m between them then that is money down the drain. They will not score enough goals for us to be a challenge at the top end and that is the problem that will haunt us all season.
Men against boys is all I heard where we were sat as well. Totally outplayed today,can’t remember a 2nd ball won all day. And showed nothing at all going forward.

speedie87

Kelly might slight edge Doyle on the pitch now but Doyle brings out more in those around him and needs to play

clint van damme

JCH- I've long been an advocate of his but I'm sorry it's time for a change
Robins needs to find a way to get us scoring (and to be fair to him he's been good at this in the past), but the top scoret in this league is a free transfer from Yeovil.
Robins needs to find a way to get players that we've spunked a lot of money on on the score sheet.

cc84cov

Absolute disgrace that was today them players couldn’t give a shit wish we had a manager who let’s rip when Its needed embarrassing today.

I have no problem in being beat by a better side but they made no effort it’s shocking carry on like this & it will be relegation battle people need to stop thinking we’re too good to be sucked into a relegation battle & wake up,the system,personell & tactics are not working it’s not hard to see surely awful football at present being played.

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If it couldn't get any more moan-worthy, CWR have mentioned Wasps about 7 times in about 10 minutes.

In fact, they've even sent their 'best commentator' to cover their game.

WHY DO I SUPPORT THIS CLUB
Yeah all the way to France, all expenses paid by the TV licence payers, nice weekend away for Clive .

The egg chasers couldn't even qualify to the next round, and that was before the game was played.

Why not just get a local reporter to phone in the score.

Mucca Mad Boys

He had the paper upside down

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Something like that. The app I use highlights the positions of the result I selected. So momentarily I thought Gillingham was 9th and Wycombe 16th haha.

Brain fart fully embraced!

LilleSkyBlue

Completely outclassed from beginning to end. Luton are the best opposition I've seen (since ifollow started, anyway).

We haven't looked like scoring all season and still don't. I say the strikers just aren't good enough, others prefer to blame the supply lines, but the result is the same and it's starting to put pressure on the defence which had been our strong suit.

A very poor challenge on Willis and we could have done without his injury.

We'd be a different prospect if Jones was fit, but I still don't see who'd be scoring the goals even with his creativity.

Another weekend ruined.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Please take JCH off. Nothing sticks to him. He can't score when given the chance. I'm unsure what he brings?
If you play with a big target man up front on his own, then he has to be good.

We just haven't got any one good enough.

So my question to Mark Robins is, why the hell dose he persist in playing that way when it's clearly not working .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

JCH- I've long been an advocate of his but I'm sorry it's time for a change
Robins needs to find a way to get us scoring (and to be fair to him he's been good at this in the past), but the top scoret in this league is a free transfer from Yeovil.
Robins needs to find a way to get players that we've spunked a lot of money on on the score sheet.
He has got some aerial presence but all too often he'll flick the ball on when he must surely know he's the furthest forward player and there is absolutely no one in front. He's not blessed with a great deal of common sense, surely.

Users who are viewing this thread