Match Thread Coventry City Vs Exeter League 2 playoff final. Monday 28th May (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I thought the noise for the first 2 goals was like nothing I've ever heard, and that includes 1987. Could be the design of the new wembley to some extent but it was bloody loud.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Just got back home after a fantastic day. What a great performance by everyone. Players, management and SBA who were superb. thought we genuinely looked like we belonged in a different league today, in fact same against Notts County where we were vastly superior.

A great achievement and somehow it feels even better than 87. Anyone else feel that?
Quite frankly NO!!

Paul Anthony

I lost my voice today. I just honestly can't get over the fact it's us for once. It seems to have been everyone else at some point, but never us. I don't think I stopped being nervous until we were 3 Up, then they went and scored so I ended the game nervous! But what a moment this could be. I hope it can be a springboard for the club. And I'll never forget the sight and sound of all those city fans in that ground today. A club, at last, united.....

Oh, and if anyone manages to find my voice, do you think perhaps I could ask you to return it? I mean, It's not like I need it or anything....

The Reverend Skyblue

Been home about an hour after railway hell on the East Anglian line, four changes on one line.
Anyway what a great day and loved every second of it. The team and the SBA were magnificent.
Personal thanks to Jim suffolkskyblue and his son and grandson and Andy for making the day even more special.

shmmeee

Fricken coach broke down outside Dunchurch, so took about an hour longer to get back. What a great day, good news: daughter now has a favourite player so she’s slipping into fandom. Bad news: it’s Lee Burge (only joking Lee, quality again today).

We are such a big club. Fuck off with any rationale other than we filled half of Wembley and fucking rocked it. We were streets ahead of League Two today. Those fans, that team deserves the Championship. Onwards and upwards, let’s keep this train rolling.

tigersb

Just home
Fantastic result and performance
Still doesn’t beat ‘87 though

AlansEyes

Fantastic day. Some thoughts:

I thought Willis, Hyam, Doyle and Kelly were all excellent. Burge showed safe hands as well (he always seems to finish the season very well!). What a goal from Willis. So that's an assist for the first in the second leg and the opener at Wembley, it's a good job Davies was suspended!

Incredible strike from Grimmer; have to admit I was thinking he had been one of our poorer performers up to that point, but that definitely made up for a few wayward passes.

Thought the nerves were getting to the crowd and both teams in the first half. Thankfully, we came out all guns blazing after half time. Well done, Squeaky Robins!

Have to feel for Exeter, to fall at the final hurdle two years running must be incredibly hard to take.

So, what's the expectation for next season? I heard someone say Sunderland and Cov will be favourites to go up - I certainly wouldn't go that far!

Monners

Coventry-City-v-Exeter-City-Sky-Bet-League-Two-Play-Off-Final.jpg

I quite like this photo

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Great day, great result and well deserved. The best team won. Good to spend time with my son and friends amongst a superb sky blue army

Aside from the result one the things that pleased me was seeing the players putting in some proper tackles..... you know the type I mean "that's my ball and you just aint having it"...... Doyler its a given but the likes of Stokes, Grimmer & Shipley all put in big tackles

Well done to MR, all the squad and backroom staff .............. you made us feel really proud

Last edited:

Joy Division

What an absolutely superb day, couldn't have asked for any more from that team yesterday. It's nice to be able to say over the three games in the play-offs we have totally deserved to be promoted.

Ricketts

Brilliant day, but the atmosphere after Notts County was better. Bloody Wembley playing "Glad all over" at stupid volume, drowned out our singing, probably because most clubs fans don't make a sound and they want to create an atmosphere. I think someone with more than half a brain then got them to play 'Twist 'n shout'. Much better.

At least it means I haven't got the 1 2 3 4 Michael Doyle earworm in my head for the next three days.

On the subject of Wembley, we were in the 120 club hospitality area and it was superb. Absolutely top quality and faultless.

Covstu

Got back about 2pm today, top weekend and a decent performance. Spent an absolute fortune but enjoyed every moment of it. Brilliant support from our boys n galls and let’s hope we can get Nora to return to the Ricoh next season

wingy

I was relieved that in the end there was one rousing rendition of In Our Coventry Homes though sad at missing most of it due to a toilet break .

Users who are viewing this thread