Match Thread Coventry City vs. Birmingham City Match Thread - Saturday 25th Jan (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

I'd like a result either way here, no replay please (for selfish "not wanting/being able to afford to travel back to Birmingham a week later" reasons). If we win, great, onwards and upwards with a bit of extra cash. If not, I'll happily moan whilst freezing my bollocks off if we beat Fleetwood on Tuesday.

I think Championship quality will show in the end but we've more than enough about us to make a fight of it. Entertaining 3-2 defeat

Briles

Me? Positivity is the key.

Our home record this season is much better than their away record.

I'm hoping that was deliberate.o_O

SkyblueTexan

I would rather just miss out on promotion if it meant winning the FA Cup final.
Beating Birmingham doesn’t mean we win the FA Cup Final. It just adds to the fixture congestion. In all likelihood we will eventually get knocked out. So promotion is a more practical target to shoot for this season. If we can rest players and still sneak a victory over B’ham and make some money along the way great. Otherwise, bowing out now would be fine with me.

shmmeee

Beating Birmingham doesn’t mean we win the FA Cup Final. It just adds to the fixture congestion. In all likelihood we will eventually get knocked out. So promotion is a more practical target to shoot for this season. If we can rest players and still sneak a victory over B’ham and make some money along the way great. Otherwise, bowing out now would be fine with me.

Alternatively, we win this, draw Man City away next round and hand Robins some cash for a new player to see us through with only one more game.

Astute

Against the confidence boost we would get. Maybe bring more support to future games. More money for getting through to the next round. Maybe get a big side next round.....And maybe even win somewhere like Old Trafford again.

We have the players who could play well in a big game. They deserve a shot after the way they have played most of this season. One or two more games won't make a massive difference as long as we don't pick up injuries.

Gazolba

There is big difference between the two divisions. Blues (although not having their greatest season) are a well established Championship side. I can see them coming out on top 2-1
If that was the case, teams relegated from there would almost always get promoted back up the next season.
And promoted teams would almost alwayts come back down the following season.
But they don't, so the difference between the bottom of the Championship and the top of League 1 isn't that great.

CanadianCCFC

If that was the case, teams relegated from there would almost always get promoted back up the next season.
But they don't, so the difference between the bottom of the Championship and the top of League 1 isn't that great.
Nonsense, we haven’t just had a summer transfer window as a championship club

SlowerThanPlatt

Nonsense, we haven’t just had a summer transfer window as a championship club

Bright looked like the second coming of Messi last season at times in L1 but couldn’t get into one of the worst sides in the division

Walsh looks above this division too but can’t get into a Championship side either or presumably find another one to be loaned to

Paxman II

We may be facing an inconsistent and not very good Brum side but they are basically at home too. However I think we are a better side than them and will outplay and outpass them on the day. Nothing to fear here. We simply must take our chances when presented to us. There will be plenty of Blues fans dreading this game.
Coventry are in top form and have players looking to prove the step up is no problem to them and come promotion and new contract time, many will want togive obins a headache. Shipley for example.
3-1 to the City

SlowerThanPlatt

We may be facing an inconsistent and not very good Brum side but they are basically at home too. However I think we are a better side than them and will outplay and outpass them on the day. Nothing to fear here. We simply must take our chances when presented to us. There will be plenty of Blues fans dreading this game.
Coventry are in top form and have players looking to prove the step up is no problem to them and come promotion and new contract time, many will want togive obins a headache. Shipley for example.
3-1 to the City

There is no chance we are a better side than Birmingham at all

They scored 4 past Leeds at home - I somehow doubt they’re fearing this game

Monners

I get what you are saying, but my point was that Blues are a well established and generally competitive club. We are one the way back up from L2.

SlowerThanPlatt

David Stockdale who our fans said is a clear class above in his loan spell can’t even get into the Birmingham side or bench recently - it is utterly ridiculous to say we’re a better side than them.

We may be able to beat them as a one off but over a 46 game season we are nowhere near them. Let’s not kid ourselves we’re 4th in our league and are hardly putting daylight between us and the rest

SkyBlueCRJ

David Stockdale who our fans said is a clear class above in his loan spell can’t even get into the Birmingham side or bench recently - it is utterly ridiculous to say we’re a better side than them.

We may be able to beat them as a one off but over a 46 game season we are nowhere near them. Let’s not kid ourselves we’re 4th in our league and are hardly putting daylight between us and the rest

I think people fail to grasp how big a gulf the difference in quality between Championship to League One actually is. At the end of the day Birmingham have a range of quality players and shouldn't really be where they are in the league to be honest.

Irish Sky Blue

Rekon he might play Max and Godden up top! Will probably start Pask ahead of Dabo though and give him a rest... apparently Pask was brilliant the other week so would be a decent replacement to come in
I thought Pask was okay against BR but he certainly wasn’t brilliant.He was athletic, fast, put some good crosses in and scored a goal but overall was no where near as good as Dabo. That’s fine as it was his debut and he was playing a new position. I just wouldn’t get carried away and think he is Dabo MK 2.

robbiethemole

Brum are playing Middlesboro tonight, maybe we could pray for a couple of little knocks for key players that keep them out at the weekend :emoji_grin::emoji_grin::emoji_grin:

clint van damme

There is no chance we are a better side than Birmingham at all

They scored 4 past Leeds at home - I somehow doubt they’re fearing this game

True, but Rochdale who are well below us got a draw with Newcastle after getting an equaliser crafted by a 17 year old and scored by 40 year old, there's always a chance- though I wouldn't put money on us!

Paxman II

It never ceases to amaze me the sizeof the pessimism of many on here even when we string great results togethe, or lose only 3 games in the league all season?
That was also the attitudeof many before we faced Doncaster. " ll'l be happy with a draw" "Can't see us winning this one" " Think we will lose this" "Bogey side for us, can't see a win here" and so on. Hey we won - again.
The gulf in the lower end of the championship and top of league one is little if any. Stop being swallowed up by the so called experts in the game saying otherwise.
I'm not saying we should win but give us a break we could quite easily on our day beat Birmingham.

Astute

I think people fail to grasp how big a gulf the difference in quality between Championship to League One actually is. At the end of the day Birmingham have a range of quality players and shouldn't really be where they are in the league to be honest.
Yes there is a big difference.

But they are towards the bottom of the table. We are on a good run. Only lost 3 league games all season. The next lowest is 5. I have lost count the amount of times I have heard we are the best side others have played all season. Even the away wins are coming along now.

We are not an average Division 3 side. Most sides will see us as a bad cup draw. A cup game is 11 v 11. Birmingham not worried? They certainly won't be taking us for granted.

Cranfield Sky Blue

It wasn’t that he couldn’t get in the team, it was the fact he would earn a massive contractual bonus if he played anymore. And you mention them scoring 4 against Leeds, but how many did Leeds score?

SlowerThanPlatt

It wasn’t that he couldn’t get in the team, it was the fact he would earn a massive contractual bonus if he played anymore. And you mention them scoring 4 against Leeds, but how many did Leeds score?

Didn’t Stockdale deny it himself? And he’s played in the League Cup this season and been on the bench for them some games so it doesn’t look to be true as one injury in game and they’d have to pay the supposed massive bonus...

CCFC88

Would expect all of the below to start all 3 games upcoming (barring injuries). Rotation between Shipley Ohare Westbroke & Allen; Mcallum & Mason.
......…........Marosi
…...Hyam McFadz Rose
Dabo.…………………XXXXXX
......…..Walsh Kelly
...….XXXXX.....XXXXXX
...............Godden

Users who are viewing this thread