Match Thread Coventry City vs Barnsley Match Thread - Saturday 15th Sep (1 Viewer)

Otis

Yeah, a couple of bad back passes aside, Brown was pretty good yesterday and helped set up the goal for Willis.

Skybluefaz

We started the season quite late with pre season and the play offs til end of May, I just wonder if now the fitness of the squad is where it should be.

Throw in the return of important players who did not really have a pre season or were nursed back. Burge, Willis, Kelly, bayliss, even Stirling.

Brown should get better the more he plays, still yet to be convinced but take away that shit back pass and I thought he was solid. Stirling is starting to look quicker, tougher and wants to get forward. Willis has mentioned his struggles for 90 mins and bayliss is lasting as well, first 4 games he looked fucked after 60 mins.

JCH won almost everything he could yesterday, ran hard, didn't fall over once just wish he could score. Dragged an edge of the area shot painfully wide and missed that sitter although offside.

Kelly back is a massive bonus but based on this seasons trend he probably won't be 100% fit until Oct. I'm pleased
Agree with you re JCH, was great yesterday but that offside one has to go in the back of the net. If he's to get 10 plus goals this season his finishing needs to improve.

larry_david

The shrews media guy said when brown signed he's got a hell of a leap on him and will be dangerous at set pieces.

Yer jch looked across at the lino as soon as he missed as if to say, you put me off! But that was a bad miss

Nick

Administrator
Highlight was when jch was playing cat and mouse with the lino.

He was off but was trying to make the lino not flag

Esoterica

Anyone think that if we still had mcnulty that we would be top 3 by now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It would have been interesting for me to see how Robins set the team up with McNulty in comparison to reality. Generally we've gone back to the first half of last season - trying to keep it tight at the back and nicking results, as opposed to the freedom we played with in the last 10 games of the season where we had to win to maintain the play off push.
How much of that is Robins preferred style vs caution over a new league vs allowing new players to adjust to their team mates and find their form vs trying to grind out points while his key players get up to fitness? I suspect a combination of all. I don't think too much would have changed if McNulty was still here though, he too would have needed to find his feet in a new division.

djr8369

I dont think it was offside, but the lino's flag was up way before the ball was played to Chaplin
I even wonder if he was flagging to say he was injured rather than offside

I don't think you can see from any of the videos but I noticed at the game it went up quite early on in the build up. I think when the ball went to JCH?

djr8369

Great win yesterday and a really good performance. Aside from the back pass was pleased to see Brown have a good game as he seemed to have struggled a bit so far. Sterling also looked more assured. Pleased to see Kelly back and he seemed to be chomping at the bit. Was really impressed by Chaplin, great movement and link up play, constantly putting pressure on their defenders and was telling JCH what to do all the time.

Magwitch

The team is still gelling so you can understand MRs caution aswell as playing better teams, I’m confident in time we will be a potent and feared attacking force, but the best teams are built from the back.

ccfcway

The team is still gelling so you can understand MRs caution aswell as playing better teams, I’m confident in time we will be a potent and feared attacking force, but the best teams are built from the back.

Was always going to be the case.

Could be a lot worse. It wasnt long ago we were playing notts county, how are they doing.

Ricketts

What the Barnsley fans said, the comments are so similar to ours when we lose:

The second video has been removed for violating You Tubes terms of service. What did he say? Did anyone watch it?

Did he say Barnsley were great, and it's been removed as 'fake news'?

On the match, I thought it was a really good game. Barnsley look big and powerful and I can see them going straight back up, certainly playoffs, as there are other good teams too. Hopefully we will continue to improve as we learn how to play with each other. A lot better game from JCH and Stirling. I tought Allasani would've made the bench and would liked him to come on at 60 when Shipley was waning.

CovInEssex

If yesterday was a barometer against a promotion contender we should do decently. They looked awful (or did we look good?)

usskyblue

giphy.gif

What’s Dr Who got to do with it m8 ?

Irish Sky Blue

If yesterday was a barometer against a promotion contender we should do decently. They looked awful (or did we look good?)
I thought they looked good. Much better than Scunthorpe or Rochdale who somehow managed to beat us. I thought we looked even better however! Barnsley the best team who have played at the Ricoh apart from us this season.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
It would have been interesting for me to see how Robins set the team up with McNulty in comparison to reality. Generally we've gone back to the first half of last season - trying to keep it tight at the back and nicking results, as opposed to the freedom we played with in the last 10 games of the season where we had to win to maintain the play off push.
How much of that is Robins preferred style vs caution over a new league vs allowing new players to adjust to their team mates and find their form vs trying to grind out points while his key players get up to fitness? I suspect a combination of all. I don't think too much would have changed if McNulty was still here though, he too would have needed to find his feet in a new division.
I think that sums it up quite well. The first half v Oxford in particular was very cagey and Robins seems happy enough to take a few nil nils. Whether that's his preferred L1 style or he's waiting for players to be fit/up to speed remains to be seen.

TewkesburySkyBlue

I just thought yesterday was one of the best games of football I’ve seen for a very long time. Two decent teams both going for it and although quite a few were booked I didn’t think it was a dirty match.Barnsley will be at least close to repromotion and on that performance I don’t see why we should not be up there as well.

Sky Blue Harry H

Bookies offering 100/1 City for the league, but I am surprised they are going 9/4 Sunderland when Burton (100/1) ripped them to bits on Saturday. I think they have seriously underestimated Burton, who I predict will be a real force on their own pitch, and if they pick up away from home are a great e/w bet at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread