Match Thread Coventry City v Southend (4 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Loved it and the atmosphere was far better than I thought it would be.
Had a nice little bet on 1-0 and Westwood to score made it even better and to top it all off Sunderland fans are spitting feathers over how crap Willis is. What a great weekend
Kieren??

mr_monkey

At least you can tell what side of the bread the telegraphs bread is buttered from the two articles about the game.... Would be nice if the local paper backed the team rather than making snide remarks about st Andrews (without ever mentioning the real reason why we are there)

shmmeee

What did you say?

Felt a bit harsh when everyone was giving him grief.

On that note, who was the fella with the blonde lady on the pitch at kick off? Lots of tits out chants...they had a kid with them!

Oh and some fella near me shouting "Levi Roots!" At Dabo...class.

Sorry lost my shit as in laughed out loud. Not had a go.

Didn’t hear the tits out chant TBF gladly as I had my girl with me.

Adge

Up and running then-can’t ask for much more than a victory and a clean sheet. Fair play to all who turned up and I think that the most optimistic of us didn’t see anything like a crowd of approximately 6500 attending.

Sky Blue Pete

Up and running then-can’t ask for much more than a victory and a clean sheet. Fair play to all who turned up and I think that the most optimistic of us didn’t see anything like a crowd of approximately 6500 attending.
I absolutely didn’t and I think sbt gets a lot of credit

lifeskyblue

Bit harsh some of the ratings for Dabo. Second half I thought he did quite well. He did very well on one occasion where Marosi should have come out and claimed it. Mason was excellent. Decent little cameo from Eccles as well.

Agree re Dabo. Thought he was isolated 2nd half with jobello not tracking back and mcfadzean slow to drift across. A few times dabo was the sole defender on 2 or 3 attacking Southend players.

And what’s with us defending corners with 4 players covering near post (with at most one attacker there) whilst at back post we were out numbered. On two occasions balls to the back stick left Southend with unchallenged headers...one miss was a sitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vow

Littlewood CCFC

Jobello definitely made Dabo look worse through lack of cover.

That's the problem with a 4 3 3 though, the 3 forwards are expected to stay forward more so 2 of the 3 midfielders need to drift wide and follow runners. Think we ran out of steam 2nd half but with the players coming back from injury and maybe bright to come in I think we will do alright this season

fernandopartridge

Special mention for Shipley. He rarely gets the plaudits, but the amount of ground he covered was unreal. Not surprised he tired. Mason my MOTM though, outstanding today.
Shipley looks to have dropped some weight to me, obviously working hard on his stamina. Good for him

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

rd45

And what’s with us defending corners with 4 players covering near post (with at most one attacker there) whilst at back post we were out numbered. On two occasions balls to the back stick left Southend with unchallenged headers...one miss was a sitter

Set piece defending definitely needs some work. Their 7 had unreal amounts of space on two or three of those late corners.

Part of the problem I guess may have been that Southend created nothing at all for the first hour plus, so when they picked up the pace late on we were struggling to react?

But not too shabby for the first game. A bit more fitness should help.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

*Opinion based on radio commentary

Great to get that first win, esp as we were missing some important players and the midfield sounded much better than I hoped. Westbrooke sounded tidy and Shipley was energetic. Kelly marshalled them well. Eccles sounded decent for the short time he was on, but don't think I'd want to be relying on him should we get further injuries. Fact we've still got Allen to come in too is encouraging.

First half I was getting the impression we were still the same as last year - decent in possession, creating chances, couldn't score. Fully expected second half to be the opposite and we'd end up losing but great we didn't. Once again though opposition manager made changes that affected the game and MR didn't do anything to counteract even when they started getting chances. Admittedly the bench wasn't particularly strong. They seemed to get a lot of chances at the end and it felt like it might've been due to the formation - with the 4-3-3 we were leaving a gap at the back post that should be covered by the wide midfielders. Also sounded like we still need to work on defending set pieces - good job they didn't get many until near the end of the game.

Defence seemed decent apart from the odd communication error but McFadzean sounds like a great leader at the back. Just seems we need that bit more in attack - Jobello seemed to start well enough, missed a chance and he wasn't as good after that.

Can't judge anyone after one game (last year Ogogo looked amazing and Sterling looked awful after one game) but from that we seem to have a solid enough team there,

covcity4life

Just watched extended highlights. Pleased with what i saw. Looks like shipley and wrstbrooke push on towards the box which is vital. We continue to play out from back abd marosi is doing sweeper keeper role. He is shorter than i thought. Jobello whilst im sure he was poor seemed to be invovled with all our attacking highlights so that bodes well

Bring on bolton!

vow

ROBINS OUT!!
7th place!? Not good enough!!
Screenshot_2019-08-04-15-13-38.png
Tbf, shouldn't we be 5th!!?

Users who are viewing this thread