Match Thread Coventry City v Oxford United - FA CUP 3RD ROUND - 6th January 12:30 (4 Viewers)

Grendel

It’s not lazy when it’s factual , find those arguing that he doesn’t occupy defenders bizarre

If that’s the only requirement for a striker then wow

Reactions: KAB

Grendel

Would be a big part of it I would presume
You annoyed cause Palmer played well today ?

No why would I be. Using superlatives like immense when that’s really words used for the likes of Dublin, Regis and Gyokeres to Ellis simms - yeah think it’s fucking laughable to be honest

Reactions: KAB

Martin180

No why would I be. Using superlatives like immense when that’s really words used for the likes of Dublin, Regis and Gyokeres to Ellis simms - yeah think it’s fucking laughable to be honest
Always out of context and misquoting aren’t we ?

SBT

It’s not lazy when it’s factual , find those arguing that he doesn’t occupy defenders bizarre
I’m not saying everyone has to agree with the argument that Simms is doing a good job of occupying defenders and creating space for the other forwards - feel free to show stats that show the current forward line is struggling with him in it etc. But coming out and saying “Actually no he’s just bad” strikes me as a much more lazy way of evaluating a player!

SBT

Grendel

It’s a word that really only should be reserved for true club legends

I do admire your journalistic skills - such a shame it’s limited you to scoops on a football forum and not your “profession”
I gather at the Basildon poodle parlour a dog has has been given a rather severe trim and the owner is unhappy. Guess that’s your latest scoop

Grendel

It’s a word that really only should be reserved for true club legends

Also sterling is rather black

SBT

I do admire your journalistic skills - such a shame it’s limited you to scoops on a football forum and not your “profession”
I gather at the Basildon poodle parlour a dog has has been given a rather severe trim and the owner is unhappy. Guess that’s your latest scoop
This recurring bit continues to be immen…..I mean, really popular

Great_Expectations

Godden not really celebrating = definitely leaving this month.

I’ve been busy since I posted this, but to be clear it was tongue in cheek. Glad it sparked an interesting debate though!

Godden did what he does well today; took his chances. However, Simms is still the starting striker in my opinion.

Plus the real reason he didn’t celebrate; he’s joining Oxford.

Chris1987

The problem is i don't think Simms does do this very much and this is the aspect of him that I find more disappointing than the lack of goal involvement. Godden 's movement off the ball is much better in my view. Usually he seems to lack aggression and movement.
Iny opinion Simms has played a big part in recent wins as he does free up space for others. Godden has been immense for Cov and coming on in a game like this when it's over and the opposition has pretty much given up is no great yardstick. His time is up at this level.

Hertsccfc

Iny opinion Simms has played a big part in recent wins as he does free up space for others. Godden has been immense for Cov and coming on in a game like this when it's over and the opposition has pretty much given up is no great yardstick. His time is up at this level.
I don't see it that way myself but fair enough. I think Godden still has something to give, but I feel we need to bring in someone else in this window as we are too light in this position.

Sky Blue Harry H

I spoke to a Norwegian guy after the game who was taking in the Tottenham Burnley, Coventry Oxford and Arsenal Liverpool game.
He said the Coventry forward who was taken off was very poor.
If only we had some decent forwards, our team would be a very good championship team.
To be fair, he was probably comparing him to Haaland.

Evo1883

By the way ( this is a true story )
There was an American family in block 1 that had come to see Haji wright play today , as we know he wasn't even in the squad

Frostie

I spoke to a Norwegian guy after the game who was taking in the Tottenham Burnley, Coventry Oxford and Arsenal Liverpool game.
He said the Coventry forward who was taken off was very poor.
If only we had some decent forwards, our team would be a very good championship team.
At least it's not just our fans that are clueless then.

clint van damme

Genuine question, but does a penalty scored boost a striker's confidence? Surely that's goals from open play, and penalties are just because you like scoring?

A penalty missed in a meaningless 70s school tournament at the age of 11 can give you the fear into your 50s, allegedly.

Travs

I was stood on the back row of block 25 today. There were a sprinkling of others stood at the back of the nearby blocks, not many people around, no issue at all.

About 4 blocks over, a pink-bibbed steward spent most of the first half trying to get a couple of people on the back row to sit down. What an absolute waste of time, and complete annoyance to everyone in the vicinity.

As for Simms, i thought he played well today, got between their centre-backs and made a nuisance of himself, creating a lot of space for others. Not to mention his assist for the 2nd. Would have loved him to get a couple today. If Tavares had been able to produce any end product, then Simms would have had a couple of tap-ins, alas the ball wasn't played in to him and the chances were lost.

I did hope that some of the messing around we did at the back wouldn't have been risked in a league match, at it would have undoubtedly been punished by a better team.

Users who are viewing this thread