Match Thread Coventry City v Manchester United - FA Cup Semi-Final (6 Viewers)

Martin180

Add sakamoto to that!! Palmer will add end product as well.
Kitching will be much better next season, Thomas is already looking a monster. MVE looked a top 6 PL player yesterday, Sheaf Eccles and Torp are superb players.
Next season could be a very special season actually.
Next season will be very special

messiahrobins

Next season will be very special
Definitely, this is a really talented squad, actually miles better than last season's. Da Silva also looked brilliant, so although he had a poor season, we can see why Robins has so much faith in him as obviously the talent is there.
Its weird isnt it, we could win the league next season, but we wont have the same high we had yesterday when Torp scored, but winning the league would actually be a bigger achievement than winning a semi final really.

Hiraeth

One of the great ironies of supporting the club, we want to get to a league that many of us can't stand with an officiating system we despise.
1000 times this.

I'd dearly love us to get promotion back to the Premier League but I know that I enjoy being in the away ends at Home Park or the Riverside supporting this group of players with our current fanbase a lot more than I ever did trips to Stamford Bridge or Anfield back in the day.

Hoping it's really just the Mark Robins and Adi Viveash effect and it will still be this good regardless of whether we are playing in League Two, League One, Championship, Premier League, Champions League or the National League.

Sbarcher

I say it again. The linesman gave it (no flag) The referee gave the goal, the 4th official gave the goal. So why did it go to a VAR decision? Who's in charge of the game? The officials or the bloke sitting in a studio hut miles away? Makes no sense.
Should be more like the TMO in rugby. Only gets involved if the ref thinks he needs confirmation of his decision or unsighted in play.

djr8369

Should be more like the TMO in rugby. Only gets involved if the ref thinks he needs confirmation of his decision or unsighted in play.
I wouldn’t mind it intervening if the on pitch officials make a mistake, like an offsides or goal line tech fail. It’s the long checks of marginal calls, secrecy and lack of consistency that are the issue, which are solvable issues.

Offsides like the one against Wright are infuriating as the attacker has no advantage and has to play off the last defender. I know it’s difficult as you have to choose a point to cut off but situations like yesterday just don’t feel right.

Seamus1

Apologies if this has already been put elsewhere on the forum, but I was wondering if there might have been a compilation of overseas commentaries, similar to how there was with the Wolverhampton Wanderers game?

HadjiChippo

We live rent free

I don’t buy this excuse. Haji cupped his ear after scoring the biggest pen of his career in front of the entire Man Utd end trying to put him off. It’s a riposte.

Antony, rather than being graceful in a victory he played no meaningful part in, chose to goad not only our fans but his fellow professionals who’d put in the last hour of a lifetime and embarrassed his team of multimillionaires.

Tommo1993

This needs to be my last comment on this game now - I’m trying to put the frustration from my mind.

I’ve noticed that in most cases across media that it was a case of how poor Man Utd were. And it’s right, after an hour of the game. But we still had to dig deep to display what we did. Yes they’re a shadow of their former selves, but come on, it’s still David vs Goliath. 3-0 down against giants to very unluckily, harshly not winning 4-3.

But it’s still mainly about how poor and embarrassing they were in MSM, not how brilliant we were.

“Credit to Coventry” is barely even superficial compliment. 🖕🏻

Brighton Sky Blue

What a strange feeling it is, to have pegged Man Utd back to 3-3, and had a legitimate goal disallowed that would have decided the game…only to then lose on penalties.

It’s a peculiar mix of pride and outrage; bordering on total ambivalence.

On one hand, we have the earnest respect of the majority of football fans far and wide, but the image of that fourth goal going in and seeing Torp and the lads ecstatic for a minute or so, only for it to be snatched away, is almost heartbreaking.

I just literally cannot stop going over it in my head, fucking VAR.
I don’t buy this excuse. Haji cupped his ear after scoring the biggest pen of his career in front of the entire Man Utd end trying to put him off. It’s a riposte.

Antony, rather than being graceful in a victory he played no meaningful part in, chose to goad not only our fans but his fellow professionals who’d put in the last hour of a lifetime and embarrassed his team of multimillionaires.
The whole attitude of that Man Utd side just stinks and it starts with the manager. Mainoo especially needs to get out while he can.

nightowl1883

1000 times this.

I'd dearly love us to get promotion back to the Premier League but I know that I enjoy being in the away ends at Home Park or the Riverside supporting this group of players with our current fanbase a lot more than I ever did trips to Stamford Bridge or Anfield back in the day.

Hoping it's really just the Mark Robins and Adi Viveash effect and it will still be this good regardless of whether we are playing in League Two, League One, Championship, Premier League, Champions League or the National League.
I really enjoy the Championship, more competitive games not just a select group of teams at the top. The only worry is one bad year we are in league one and the football league trophy watching u23 sides. At least in the premier league it would two bad seasons for league one

nightowl1883

The mindset has changed, I sat in tier two for the last two Wembley visits and you get a good view but are a long way back so I was thinking “next time I will get block one at the front” then realised we are Coventry and never know when we will go again😀

Otis

Still don’t agree that’s a pen and a red 🤣
That's bonkers isn't it.

The slow mo video always looks so much worse doesn't it.

How else is the defender supposed to win the ball? Try and tackle, but not propel his leg forward at all?

That's one mess of a video clip.

shmmeee

That's bonkers isn't it.

The slow mo video always looks so much worse doesn't it.

How else is the defender supposed to win the ball? Try and tackle, but not propel his leg forward at all?

That's one mess of a video clip.

Just shows that as all three (?) refs involved thought it was maybe the problem is we don’t agree with the rules not the refs.

Brighton Sky Blue

The mindset has changed, I sat in tier two for the last two Wembley visits and you get a good view but are a long way back so I was thinking “next time I will get block one at the front” then realised we are Coventry and never know when we will go again😀
Got a great view in tier one both times. Not sure if I could stomach losing on penalties at Wembley three years on the spin though!

Alkhen

I've stewed on the offside ever since. The hardest thing to take is that nobody can argue that Hajis toe being off side gained him any advantage. I stand by the idea that VAR off side decisions should be taken only if there is clear daylight between the last man and the attacker.

I know this just moves the line and there would still be marginal calls BUT at least it would mean the attacker is has definitely gained a slight advantage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread