Match Thread Coventry City v Manchester United - FA Cup Semi-Final (8 Viewers)

3-2 Cov

This game is at the perfect intersection of fantasy win v realistic pipe dream. We will probably get battered but I can construct the narrative around how we beat them.

any ITK news on the niggle wright is carrying though? He needs to be 100% for this.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd go :
Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Sheaf O'Hare
Tavares Simms Wright

Think MR will stick with Lati at RB though.

Think it'll be a good match for the neutral - very open and lots of chances.

Paxman II

We must play a pressing game with everybody on their game. The midfield is the area we need an extra body or we could be turned over too often. Torp, Kelly I think are big asks to step in there. O'Hare is not going to win tackles. So Milan in there makes sense too.
So difficult, but they will beleive they just have to turn up. I think it will be much closer than anyone predicts. Would love to see gary neville lose it on TV. Turn up put in a performance and we have very chance of a shock result.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We must play a pressing game with everybody on their game. The midfield is the area we need an extra body or we could be turned over too often. Torp, Kelly I think are big asks to step in there. O'Hare is not going to win tackles. So Milan in there makes sense too.
So difficult, but they will beleive they just have to turn up. I think it will be much closer than anyone predicts. Would love to see gary neville lose it on TV. Turn up put in a performance and we have very chance of a shock result.
I'm all for pressing their defence when possible but applying the press all game will tire us out and give their pacy forwards a chance with a ball over the top. Definitely something we need to do, but not necessarily all the time. Just try and catch them unawares with it once they're complacent we're just keeping our shape.

ccfc1234

Wilson
MVE Thomas Binks Bidwell
Kelly
Eccles Sheaf
Godden Wright
Simms

Binks is better than Kitching, he hasnt had a run of games like Kitching has, had he been i am sure we would be better defensively.
Either clueless or a WUM. Given you sometimes accidentally talk sense, I am thinking the latter!

Brighton Sky Blue

Party like it’s 1999

Ogrizovic
Edworthy Williams Shaw Froggatt
Telfer McAllister Hadji
Whelan Dublin Huckerby

• Love
Reactions: AOM

Brighton Sky Blue

Hagerty F., Hagerty R., Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Crapper, Dewhurst, MacIntyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Party like it's 1922.
When my late grandad was born. He spoke fondly of that team, especially Treadmore. Great engine on him.

Liquid Gold

The key for me is how we defend against their wide players. We need to avoid chasing them around the park and tiring ourselves out.

Defend narrow and double up on them when they get near the 18 yard line.

Sheaf and Eccles to sit close to the centre backs and force them to come forward opening them up for the counter. Their defence is clearly the weak point so the more we can isolate them against O'Hare, Wright and Simms the better.

Last edited:

messiahrobins

Either clueless or a WUM. Given you sometimes accidentally talk sense, I am thinking the latter!
Look, the problem with many of you is you think it is football manager. Ohare has been a great player for us. No doubt. However, he isnt the player he was, is out of form, and crucially is a luxury against a superior team like man Utd. Kelly may not play sexy football but he is a bruiser, a dog of war and added to the steel of Sheaf and Eccles i think would give us a fighting chance of keeping things tight. A front 3 of Wright Simms and Godden can nick a goal.
If we are going to win it will have to be 1-0.

messiahrobins

Are you pissed?
We need more steel. The defence is dog shite and without the extra holder in Kelly we will get battered. The underestimating of Man utd (i hate the cunts as well) is criminal. We have got to stiffen the midfield to protect that back 4. As for Godden, well its him or Tavares isnt it out wide. Ill go with experience in such a big match.
Kitching has been shit for a number of games, makes far too many mistakes and has been disappointing for 4.5m. That said he is our player so unless we are going to sign Binks in the summer, then its probably not worth upsetting the apple cart on second thought, but i am old school, and after utter shite v Blues i think players deserve punishing tbh. I get the woke generation are all forgiveness etc, but i can guarantee back in the day Alex Ferguson would have dropped half the team for a cup semi final if they put in such a shit performance against the 2nd from bottom side.

shmmeee

We need more steel. The defence is dog shite and without the extra holder in Kelly we will get battered. The underestimating of Man utd (i hate the cunts as well) is criminal. We have got to stiffen the midfield to protect that back 4. As for Godden, well its him or Tavares isnt it out wide. Ill go with experience in such a big match.
Kitching has been shit for a number of games, makes far too many mistakes and has been disappointing for 4.5m. That said he is our player so unless we are going to sign Binks in the summer, then its probably not worth upsetting the apple cart on second thought, but i am old school, and after utter shite v Blues i think players deserve punishing tbh. I get the woke generation are all forgiveness etc, but i can guarantee back in the day Alex Ferguson would have dropped half the team for a cup semi final if they put in such a shit performance against the 2nd from bottom side.

Can you find a single example of Ferguson doing that?

messiahrobins

Can you find a single example of Ferguson doing that?
Didnt he batter Beckham for bringing a bike in the changing room even though they had won the title? His reasoning being it displayed lack of focus?
Not suggesting Robins batters the players btw, just make them think about their place in the team. I know Uday Hussein didnt react well to Iraqi players displaying a lack of effort, but again i think it suffices to keep things civil but stern and being dropped for under performance i think is always a good option moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread