Coventry City v Luton Town - Championship playoff final - 27th May 2023 - Wembley Stadium (4 Viewers)

Calista

Bigger game than ‘87?
1987 is the only major trophy in our cabinet, and could remain so for a very long time if not forever. It will always be right up there in football history as one of the greatest finals at the most iconic stadium, which no longer exists. Winning things is the ultimate aim in football. There's no way I'd swop the FA Cup for promotion to the Prem, which we obviously want for the status, excitement and vast amounts of money, but it all has to be spent just to try and hang on in that league.

croatskyblue

I think your memory is letting you down there, the win against Wolves meant the City were Guaranteed premonition, hence the 50+k crowd and then on the last game of the season the home win against Millwall and a defeat for Wolves at Crystal Palace meant the City are Champions.
false

Harry

So, onto the game. Looks a good match up, Gyokeres bound to be a handful for Luton with Hamer, Gooden and others keeping them on their toes. Luton have a very strong defence with Lockyer, Bell, Osho, Nkamba. They can all run with the ball and pass as well as defend. A couple of marauding wing backs in Drameh and Doughty. Morris and Adebayo to cause a bit of bother up front. What do people reckon for the key battles and final score?

Brighton Sky Blue

So, onto the game. Looks a good match up, Gyokeres bound to be a handful for Luton with Hamer, Gooden and others keeping them on their toes. Luton have a very strong defence with Lockyer, Bell, Osho, Nkamba. They can all run with the ball and pass as well as defend. A couple of marauding wing backs in Drameh and Doughty. Morris and Adebayo to cause a bit of bother up front. What do people reckon for the key battles and final score?

Either side to win by one, who scores first wins.

pipkin73

JH as above or better if you can find it, plus Snoz and Curtis, these all need to be played to both the players and supporters before the game, also the recent wins at Wembley (excluding Wembley but the atmosphere at the Notts County game.
Prob can't get our songs played at Wembley as neutral but they need to be on the radio every day, including and till the final by local media.
BBC CWR, Free Radio etc, play the Sky Blue Song loud and proud and get the City buzzing.

slowpoke

Two contrasting stiles, Luton will pump balls into the area at every opportunity while we will be patient press high and on build up force their backline back. I’m confident we will create opportunities as we did the last Boro’ game but we need to be more ruthless when we get chances and half chances they will come, Gyo needs his top, game turn the Luton defenders & draw fouls, stay out of the refs book, I’m confident referee Michael Oliver will be on top of any shenanigans.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Either side to win by one, who scores first wins.
Told my then brother-in-law when we went 1-0 down to Spurs ' don't worry' , so (though you may be right) I'm not giving up if we go 1 down early on. As an aside, one thing we need to be wary of is that Nakamba in the middle of the park, very quick and aggressive; so need to be careful playing out from the back playing into midfield. Ironically, that's where most of our danger comes from via Hamer.

Brighton Sky Blue

Told my then brother-in-law when we went 1-0 down to Spurs ' don't worry' , so (though you may be right) I'm not giving up if we go 1 down early on. As an aside, one thing we need to be wary of is that Nakamba in the middle of the park, very quick and aggressive; so need to be careful playing out from the back playing into midfield. Ironically, that's where most of our danger comes from via Hamer.

We haven’t won after conceding first all season is my rationale. And there’s a good reason, we play to hit teams on the break and if a team’s in front they will just sit back for the most part.

Briles

Will be the same as usual until the cards start. That's when the fun will start. Will they try to be sly when on a yellow with the cameras watching or just let Gyokeres run past them? 🤔 Or even trying to rip his top off him in the area.

Eccles will need to stop his diving though 😆

Does VAR get involved for second yellows? Or is it just straight reds?

SkyBlueSoul

Not sure how accurate these are or if someone's put this somewhere else but I'm seeing a lot of talk about pitch dimensions so thought I'd actually look into it. All in metres:

Kenilworth Road - 100x65
CBS - 105x68
Wembley - 105x68

Mucca Mad Boys

5 goalless draws

Conceding first:

P17 W0 D7 L10

Scoring first:

P24 W18 D4 L2
Trademark Robins. A consistent theme in his tenure is that if we score first, we win and vice versa when we concede first.

Last season was an anomaly as we were the ‘comeback kings’ of all major European I believe.

This season the stats are likely skewed somewhat by the our slow start.

Brighton Sky Blue

Trademark Robins. A consistent theme in his tenure is that if we score first, we win and vice versa when we concede first.

Last season was an anomaly as we were the ‘comeback kings’ of all major European I believe.

This season the stats are likely skewed somewhat by the our slow start.
The two we lost were Simon Moore and Hamer conspiring to throw it away against Millwall, and the other against Blackpool where most of the side had the shits. Hence why I think the team to score first on Saturday will be the winner.

Astute

Does VAR get involved for second yellows? Or is it just straight reds?
Straight reds if totally missed by the ref or can be for a player that got a yellow but is viewed as being serious foul play that deserved a red.

Users who are viewing this thread