Match ThreadĀ Coventry City - Sunderland Match Thread - Saturday 26th Aug (2 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wynch pressing Robins on the long throw and he doesn't seem keen on using them.

He was just trying to keep it a secret. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Ā 

SkyBlue_Bear83

Start with the 2 new boys. Surely we have paid 11 million for them to be the preferred strike force. Get them ā€œgellingā€ and playing 90mins
Yea can't understand why they haven't played together, Godden has had a good start to the season but over 46 games he's not the answer.

Surely the plan was for Wright and Simms to be the front two long term. Get them minutes together on the pitch.
Ā 

blunted

Thought we were a bit average today. Reminded me of the Huddersfield match 2 years ago where they scored a worldie to beat us. I was worried that would happen again. We played a Sunderland team with no strikers and Dacks a shadow of his former self and I thought they gave us some worrying moments in the second half. Palmer looked class which shows how you need a squad and to rest players. Defence was better and we did have some luck with how the ball dropped, but so did they. Fadz awesome as usual. The rest of the defence were good until they got a bit sloppy near the end. Midfield excellent but again no end product. I'm a fan of Godden but not one of his best games today. Simms and Hadji need to do better with the few chances they get. Ayari needs more game time but will be really good I think. Thought the subs improved them more than us. Can't understand why they did not start Pritchard who started to dictate the pace of the game. Another clean sheet for Wilson even if he did drop a bollock near the end. Ref good again whenever we have him in charge.
Ā 

napolimp

Yea can't understand why they haven't played together, Godden has had a good start to the season but over 46 games he's not the answer.

Surely the plan was for Wright and Simms to be the front two long term. Get them minutes together on the pitch.

I think what Godden has, which he showed today with that deflected chance which came to him and he put straight at the keeper, is great positioning sense. Not convinced by his finishing though.
Ā 

Offhegoes

Once Palmer went off we werenā€™t going to score. I actually Simms did OK, made some good runs, but the strikers were starved of service. Not sure 2 up front is working to be honest. Would prefer Palmer and Sakamoto behind Simms or Wright to be honest
Ā 

lifeskyblue

At times today felt like a training match. Both teams happy to keep the ball without pressing too hard. We had the better of the first half and Sunderland the second. In the end I can only remember one shot on targetā€¦wrightā€™s effort.
Of the players I think both wingbacks get forward well and although out of position defensively at times they should be creating a lot of opportunities over the season. Simms and Wright will both come good and I think their partnership will be fruitfulā€¦but at the moment Godden is the best striker we have so canā€™t see robins not starting him. Ayani, even with that short cameo, looked a quality player with time and composureā€¦a big asset I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ā 

Macca

I think what Godden has, which he showed today with that deflected chance which came to him and he put straight at the keeper, is great positioning sense. Not convinced by his finishing though.

Definitely not having a dig at Godden just that we should be playing the assets we have invested heavily in. Somebody must have seen something in them
Ā 

Terry Gibson's perm

Don't know what you were watching.

Rubbish slow defensive football.

Eccles doesnā€™t have the ability to pass it forward so the forwards get nothing, Dasilva is comfortable on the ball but is not quick and doesnā€™t produce enough quality.

The changes should have been Eccles Palmer Godden off and Saka plus the other two subs.
Ā 

PVA

Rubbish slow defensive football.

Eccles doesnā€™t have the ability to pass it forward so the forwards get nothing, Dasilva is comfortable on the ball but is not quick and doesnā€™t produce enough quality.

The changes should have been Eccles Palmer Godden off and Saka plus the other two subs.

Eccles made plenty of forward passes. More passes into the final third than Sheaf.
Ā 

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It's not about goals scored though, if you compare the effort and work rate and desire to contribute to the team, then there's absolutely no comparison between Gyokeres and Simms.

At the beginning of Gyokores time with us, some people on SBT said he was shite.
Ā 

Terry Gibson's perm

Eccles made plenty of forward passes. More passes into the final third than Sheaf.

Forward passes to the strikers he rarely splits the defence if he played all season he wouldnā€™t get three assists.

If you are picking one or the other itā€™s Sheaf every time with somebody alongside him.
Ā 

Northants Sky Blue

Thought we played ok, decent atmosphere even in block 25 (but queues to get in were ridiculous)

The possession stuff looks good but far more of a threat when we counter

DaSilva's best game, we need Palmer at that level for a full 90

Sheaf was mopping everything up but rarely had decisive out ball, maybe need CAM and Godden to drop 5-10 yards
Ā 
Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Forward passes to the strikers he rarely splits the defence if he played all season he wouldnā€™t get three assists.

Eccles works hard and does a job but he isnā€™t the transition and driving forward player that we need to complement Sheaf. The were occasions today when his final ball into the attacking area was poor, plus he needs to stop falling over looking for a foul. I do rate him though and he will keep developing but hopefully that midfield dynamo is coming next week.
Ā 

Terry Gibson's perm

Eccles works hard and does a job but he isnā€™t the transition and driving forward player that we need to complement Sheaf. The were occasions today when his final ball into the attacking area was poor, plus he needs to stop falling over looking for a foul. I do rate him though and he will keep developing but hopefully that midfield dynamo is coming next week.

Eccles is a decent player and proved he has a huge pair of bollocks taking that penalty at Wembley but he isnā€™t what we need at home when teams sit with everybody behind the ball like they did today.
Ā 

steve101

We give up a lot of territory when Palmer plays because he just cannot sustain the intensity that O'Hare or Hamer can. I think that's fine if he delivers anything for us but he doesn't really, the odd great moment but lots of rash and badly executed ones too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
He provides strength and pace and he was creating attacks out of nothing by using both. Not sure what we would have created without that.
Ā 

steveo1987

Decent game , we totally dominated the 1st half, 2nd half more even as we stepped back allowing the counter, I was very nervous at that point as their man Clark looked very potent although greedy towards the end. Fadz is immense although I would say fatigue contributed to small mistakes with the amount of corners they had. Really have everything crossed for Simms as there is a player in there, he did play as a lone striker for Sunderland so will take time to adjust, not sure on Wright, should have scored today . I'm not entirely sure on the wing backs as yet but sure they will start delivering crosses and actually taking a defender on to the by line. Midfield looks OK, Sheaf good today along with Eccles although ran out of steam and started giving the ball away but a big step up along with Casey being creative. the Brighton lad looks a very good signing., defence looks very decent , we just need to get on top of how we are actually going to score goals..Very much a WIP, but not far away from being a very good side.
Ā 

Ashdown

Find this really quite interesting.

Simms chance 2nd half was 0.04xG. Basically a miracle if he scored.

Wright chance was 0.08xG. Slightly better but still.

Godden first half chance 0.55xG. Yet Simms and Wright ā€œshould have scoredā€ and Goddenā€™s is ā€œa half decent chanceā€.
What a pile of shit, whatā€™s with all the bullshit numbers, get a fucking life. Chances were missed, the opposition keeper wasnā€™t really stretchedā€¦.. put a daft figure on it šŸ™„
Ā 

covcity4life

Gutted that we didn't get Sakamoto on somewhere to run at them for the last 15 minutes.
Me too but sounds like robins was worried about jack Clarke(rightly so) and was happy with milan defending him

This is why I wouldn't mind another rwb in..saka probably isn't a real one of robins doesn't trust him to defend as well as attack
Ā 

procdoc

Find this really quite interesting.

Simms chance 2nd half was 0.04xG. Basically a miracle if he scored.

Wright chance was 0.08xG. Slightly better but still.

Godden first half chance 0.55xG. Yet Simms and Wright ā€œshould have scoredā€ and Goddenā€™s is ā€œa half decent chanceā€.
Simmsā€™s chance was first half , his and Wrights were one on one with only the keeper to beat, both were straight at him
Ā 

procdoc

Some absolutely clueless individuals on this thread. We werenā€™t shit, we werenā€™t great. On another day the performance would have been just enough to sneak three points.
Simms looked better and some of the attacking patterns were encouraging. Defensively we were rock solid. You should always build from the back, anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows this. Make sure you are solid first, which we were. Some of the comments are absolute dross, try watching another sport because clearly football is not for you. Fucking hell.

Yes Iā€™ve had a beer
Ā 

Balli001

Thought Eccles was excellent. A few really important tackles and Sheaf likewise was tidy and composed. There just didn't seem to be a viable outlet when in possession.

Milan will come good I'm sure, and defensively today he was sound against their most dangerous player, but I am yet to witness this legendary pace of his. A few occasions today, I was willing him to put the afterburners on and rinse the full back, but he would check back at the last moment. Definitely seeing improvements in him though so excited to see what he will be in a few months time.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
He showed his pace in one attacking play today. Chased down O'Nein to press a ball when he had about 30 yards head start
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Me too but sounds like robins was worried about jack Clarke(rightly so) and was happy with milan defending him

This is why I wouldn't mind another rwb in..saka probably isn't a real one of robins doesn't trust him to defend as well as attack
I'd much sooner have Saka on for Palmer once the latter wears out.
Ā 

bigfatronssba

Some absolutely clueless individuals on this thread. We werenā€™t shit, we werenā€™t great. On another day the performance would have been just enough to sneak three points.
Simms looked better and some of the attacking patterns were encouraging. Defensively we were rock solid. You should always build from the back, anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows this. Make sure you are solid first, which we were. Some of the comments are absolute dross, try watching another sport because clearly football is not for you. Fucking hell.

Yes Iā€™ve had a beer

Some people like to have a moan. Or pretend that they know more about football management than Robins
Ā 

stellasteve

Not too fussed about the result for my first game back this season just wish that it doesn't smell like I was in a fishmongers next time with the new demographic that have moved into my area.
Ā 

Sky Blue Dal

This is my take.. I do feel young Simms is feeling the pressure and maybe itā€™s best for Robins to to start with Wright and bring ton Simms as a sub. This will take the pressure off him. Wright needs to be in the starting squad considering his performance as it stands. Heā€™s the only one I can see creating and scoring goals. Hopefully this will relieve Simms from the intense pressure he maybe facing and help him gain confidence as he works his way into understanding how we play. I do believe Simms has potential to reward us for sure but the young lad needs to be handled with care and encouraged. We need to build him up than knock him down. Letā€™s support him in his sky blue journey.
Ā 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread