Match Thread Coventry City - Sunderland Match Thread - Saturday 26th Aug (3 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Thought we lose a bit of impetus when palmer came off

theferret

Thought that was OK. Bossed the game for long periods and created a few openings. Ran out of steam last 20, could have done with another change tbh, there were a few treading water at the end. On another day we nick that, but not too despondent, it will come.

Got pretty modest expectations this season anyway, so pretty decent start overall considering all the new faces and some tough games.

Evo1883

We back off so much. I think both Sheaf and Eccles have that instinct. Need a Hamer or O’Hare type who will just steam in and get the ball.
It's OK for them to do it if we are in the box because you'd expect the "10s" to do the job , but a team this season will punish us for it

Sky Blue Harry H

First half, we played well. Created a lot, using Da Silva well. Second half, Clarke on their left got too much of the ball. Fadz, Palmer, Sheaf, Da Silva (first half) played really well. We tired a bit towards the end Draw just about fair. Good game for 0-0.

pusbccfc

Give it a rest

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't look at his stats then...

It's fine to critise a players first five games without writing him off.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Got here just in time to see the mad hatters getting let in through their own personal VIP entrance. If I get a stupid hat will I not have to queue anymore?

Had a reserved table in the Anecdote from about 11.30 today, it actually said "reserved for the Mad Hatters"

Any one would think they are royalty. 👑

procdoc

Genuine question cos I couldn’t see shit down the other end first half, but when?
Well Simms and Wright should have scored. Godden had a half decent chance and Palmer should have done better after he beat a few and created a chance for himself

pusbccfc

Didn’t Biamou take about 25 games to score a goal in League 2?

McNulty started slowly too

Yes, hence why I said I'm not writing him off.

He's been poor though. 0.04 expected goals today is very poor.

His stats I'm the first 5 games are very poor. We'll need to adapt to his game.

Theonlywayisskyblue

Main observation is we don’t yet seem to look like nor play like a joined up team. Not a real sense of connectedness across the group which is not hugely surprising given that they’re barely on first name terms yet. If this is right then we’ve got to give them time ? To be building a team and not losing is a positive sign at this stage. But then I am an optimist

Finham

Main observation is we don’t yet seem to look like nor play like a joined up team. Not a real sense of connectedness across the group which is not hugely surprising given that they’re barely on first name terms yet. If this is right then we’ve got to give them time ? To be building a team and not losing is a positive sign at this stage. But then I am an optimist
MVE literally struggled to remember "Sheafo's" name in the post-match interview!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I didn’t realise MVE had these long throws.
I know Thomas has

Neither did Mark Robins until Thursday in training, when MvE practice his long throws.

AFCCOVENTRY

MVE Reflecting on the result…

“A bit unhappy, but on the other side, it's a clean sheet and we have one point so it's just basically on to the next one.

“We have some points that we can work on. For example, in the final third that we can be more effective. But like I said, it’s a clean sheet and a point and for now that's enough.”

Taking chances created…

“We had some chances and I think in the first half, we had one from Simms but it was a bit unfortunate, I think his touch was a bit too heavy, I think.

“But we create enough to get there the final third, and also the chance of Haji in the second half and if that was going in, then it would have been a different game for sure and I think we would have got the three points for sure.

“Like I told you we get there and it's just about being calm in the final third when we get there and taking our chances.”

Second clean sheet of the season…

“It gives confidence also that we keep another clean sheet, but like you said, we just also need the points and I think there was a chance today to keep the points at home but it's just, we're getting there.

“We're still not 100% there with chemistry at the moment, but everybody's feeling like we will get there and feeling better and better by training and by every game that we play.”

Long throw-in…

“It's just I haven't really gotten the chance to do it, but I think the last two trainings they told me to like practice it a bit.

“Then on Friday, we had some training on it, but today it's not a secret anymore.

“People have other qualities, like for example my speed why can’t somebody else run as fast as me but then if you look at a midfielder why can't I have the same vision he has, you know, so it's just everybody has his own qualities.”

Start to the season…

“It's alright. It's not the worst start. I mean, we are dominating games, and showing that we can, really hold the ball, play the ball and really be possessive and create chances, but it's just getting there in the final third and being calm and clear in the head.

“Also, we need to have a bit of luck and I think that's just basically us, but we get there, and I think it's, it's okay the start we’ve had.

“It's a tough League and takes time to get used to it, but I'm getting there and I feel stronger already also, in my mind, but also in the in the legs just physical wise.

“I just want games to get back in the rhythm again, because in my previous club, I've played every game 90 minutes but this game today was my was my first 90 minutes in two months. So yeah, it's just getting fit and once I have the same power again, then I would just be flying all over the pitch.”

SBAndy

Well Simms and Wright should have scored. Godden had a half decent chance and Palmer should have done better after he beat a few and created a chance for himself

Find this really quite interesting.

Simms chance 2nd half was 0.04xG. Basically a miracle if he scored.

Wright chance was 0.08xG. Slightly better but still.

Godden first half chance 0.55xG. Yet Simms and Wright “should have scored” and Godden’s is “a half decent chance”.

NortonSkyBlue

I know it fashionable in these parts to dislike Sunderland but I find them a very good footballing side. They were last season and today they were passing and moving without having a cutting edge.
Good game, decent point whilst our team get used to each other.
I am a fan of Bidwell but I was so impressed with our wing backs today. You can see we are trying to find a way of releasing the forwards and it will come with familiarity.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Simms has to be up there with the worst start to a season from a City striker in 20 years?

Just saying, Gyokores only score one goal in 11 start's at the beginning with us.

Terry Gibson's perm

The journey and lack of time getting international players back.

It’s a rubbish excuse fly the players on duty to a more local airport and put them in hotel and let them rest before meeting up with the rest.

fatso

Yes, hence why I said I'm not writing him off.

He's been poor though. 0.04 expected goals today is very poor.

His stats I'm the first 5 games are very poor. We'll need to adapt to his game.
I'd suggest he needs to adapt to our game.

Like maybe closing down quicker and working the back line a lot more.

Wright put the defenders and keeper under pressure in a way that Simms just never did.

SIR ERNIE

Find this really quite interesting.

Simms chance 2nd half was 0.04xG. Basically a miracle if he scored.

Wright chance was 0.08xG. Slightly better but still.

Godden first half chance 0.55xG. Yet Simms and Wright “should have scored” and Godden’s is “a half decent chance”.

Godden was poor.

Terry Gibson's perm

We need the wing backs to cross the ball and give our two giant forwards the chance to head a few.

We have to start and stick with Simms and Wright, Godden was hopeless again today.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would think that Eccles has played himself out of the team today far to negative him and Sheaf and I’m not sure Dasilva is an upgrade on Bidwell.

fernandopartridge

I know it fashionable in these parts to dislike Sunderland but I find them a very good footballing side. They were last season and today they were passing and moving without having a cutting edge.
Good game, decent point whilst our team get used to each other.
I am a fan of Bidwell but I was so impressed with our wing backs today. You can see we are trying to find a way of releasing the forwards and it will come with familiarity.
Yes they are a good to watch, if they'd got a decent striker they'd have won here today

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread