Coventry City staring into Football Abyss (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueRuffian

It may have escaped your notice but we retained him for the season. Also we received a fee we'd now never get for him.

Cash cow? How does that work, the cash stays with the club.

but he was no longer our player, the negativity crept in at that point, last minute of a transfer window and player with so much potential sold, how does that help our season?how do you think the remaining players felt? why have the likes of Sambou and Fleck decided to fuck off, it's all relevant.

if you believe the money is reinvested then you're dillusional at best.

Nick

Administrator
but he was no longer our player, the negativity crept in at that point, last minute of a transfer window and player with so much potential sold, how does that help our season?how do you think the remaining players felt? why have the likes of Sambou and Fleck decided to fuck off, it's all relevant.

I doubt sambou would have stayed if Maddison did. Not for the reported 3k a week.

Why are they all going? Money, there's no way we should or could offer a kid 3k a week who hasn't broken in at u21 level yet.

What should we do? Get them all on long term contracts and pay them championship or premier league wages?

They are footballers, I'm pretty sure they are used to players coming and going. Players moving up on their career and coming down.

Grendel

So if Anderson offered fleck more money than any other offer he'd say no "you've sold #madders and i am really upset"

Oh and the accounts probe no money has gone out of the club.

lifeskyblue

You really need to move on from this. Sisu aren't going anywhere. Just work with them and accept it for what it is.

I agree SISU not going anywhere, nor are wasps nor are ccc. What hope for those who love the football club but realise that with the owners we have, the fact that we don't own our stadium (and won't in the medium term ) and that we don't build good relationships with our landlords or the council. We are left supporting a club that is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future and that could well fall into the abyss

SkyBlueRuffian

I doubt sambou would have stayed if Maddison did. Not for the reported 3k a week.

Why are they all going? Money, there's no way we should or could offer a kid 3k a week who hasn't broken in at u21 level yet.

What should we do? Get them all on long term contracts and pay them championship or premier league wages?

They are footballers, I'm pretty sure they are used to players coming and going. Players moving up on their career and coming down.

He's been offered £2K by Everton, our second offer of £900 was turned down by Sambou.

It all boils down to the club having no ambition. How many of the 2nd years have signed professional contracts that have been offered...... None.

no_loyalty

Looking forward to Joy's pre season rally cry

Nick

Administrator
He's been offered £2K by Everton, our second offer of £900 was turned down by Sambou.

It all boils down to the club having no ambition. How many of the 2nd years have signed professional contracts that have been offered...... None.

It doesn't, it all boils down to money doesn't it?

Is showing ambition throwing money at players? Should we be competing and offering to match what Everton have offered him? Sign him up on 2 - 3k a week (more than the average league one players get) on a 5 year deal, what if he doesn't make it? Look at how many millions Newcastle have wasted on Bigi, should we have tried to compete with them too to show ambition?

Is £900 week really that bad an offer for somebody who is still very unproven at even u21? I don't think it is.

clint van damme

It doesn't, it all boils down to money doesn't it?

Is showing ambition throwing money at players? Should we be competing and offering to match what Everton have offered him? Sign him up on 2 - 3k a week (more than the average league one players get) on a 5 year deal, what if he doesn't make it? Look at how many millions Newcastle have wasted on Bigi, should we have tried to compete with them too to show ambition?

Is £900 week really that bad an offer for somebody who is still very unproven at even u21? I don't think it is.

Agreed. He's also much more likely to get first team experience with us. I think it's a bad move for his long term development.

Grendel

So you'd want to lay out £100,000 a year on an untried 18 year old?

Thank fuck sisu are in charge and not you.

Out of interest for team morale what message would that send to players like Fleck? Ha ha I'm 18 I've achieved nothing I ain't playing and I'm on as much as you.

You are clueless.

Nick

Administrator
Agreed. He's also much more likely to get first team experience with us. I think it's a bad move for his long term development.

I have never seen him play apart from his first team stint so can't comment too much on how good he is. He might go there and break through and do well, or he might do a Scott Sinclair for the money.

I am not too sure what people expect the club to do about this situation? The kid has been offered thousands a week to play, we have made him a good offer and can offer him the chance to get first team experience but he is going for the money.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
You see to me staring in to the abyss means imminent terminal disaster........ I do not think that is where we are as such but it makes a good tag for a headline. We have been closer in the past.

Where we are is stagnated. Or put another way parked by the owners in L1 to find our own level on the basis of the income the club generates for itself. This of course should not be new information to anyone.

So TM has to find a whole new squad come the end of the season. Again this is not new this has been happening for several seasons and will continue to happen. As it does in many other L1 & L2 clubs

Do we need investment well yes the argument goes investment that you spend to achieve success. However the other side of that is that to get that investment you increase the clubs already onerous debt levels. But not only that the prospect of increasing the annual losses due to the interest charges.

Given our income sources can we remain competitive in L1? Well you would have to say yes because our overall income is still greater than most L1 clubs. Does it mean a roller coaster rocky ride probably. We should be able to put a squad together to stay in the division - to challenge consistently at the top maybe not. To fall in to the abyss no the club really should not.

The fans have to reel in expectations in this current situation, with these owners however. We do not have a divine right to promotion or success. The simple fact is we are not in current terms a big club in the football pyramid. We are a L1 team with little prospect of rising above that. However we should have enough about us, enough financial means to maintain that.

The owners will not be in any hurry to sell up. The court cases, which will continue for years, are based on the CCFC connection and the owner wont lose that whilst there is the possibility of an investment return.

People need, as i have said before, need to wake up and see what is before them, see what CCFC is.
- L1
- no long term base either leased or built
- no reserves of cash or the prospect of more from the owners
- no major assets either on or off the pitch but all assets such as they are charged to ARVO in any case so no equity to raise finance
-no major player assets to sell and those youngsters we do have subject to cherry picking under the PL/FL agreement that pays compensation not value
- no access to certain incomes like naming rights (but I think the benefit though preferable has been over stated)
- no way to negotiate new access to other income streams largely because of an inability to commit to anything long term
- insufficient people resources to generate new sources of income because staffing costs have been slashed
- A manager that has lost the goodwill of a section of the fans
- a long run of failure this season but also in previous seasons
- Owners/directors that seem unable to sing from the same hymn sheet and seemingly to operate within a budget
- Years of negativity and an intransigent lack of clarity
- No real inclusivity in any plan forward
- an academy under threat
- a corporate structure created to fend off interest
- a negative air that pervades the whole club including its fans

None of that is good but at the moment we are not about to go bust on or off the pitch, not about to fall in to an abyss (although there is one closer than many care to think)........ just stagnated, a zombie club.

As always it is the fans that have the club closest to heart and the fans who are repeatedly let down by the club and others

Just my opinion of course

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Is the academy actually under threat though? There hasn't been much pushing on that, and somebody I know with very close links to the higgs centre has already said the pool would be next to the indoor pitch if it goes ahead. I'd bet it was more a scare tactic.

I think it will be the same as this season with loans, but we have already started buying players with Jones and started earlier with players like Rose, the Bulgarian. This year we had a more than competitive squad, maybe not up there with Wigan or like Bristol City last year. I think next season will be the same, but it will be more tricky because of the money coming down again.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Nick think how big the city baths are then put that alongside the higgs centre (just the pool bit) ...... something has to be lost. In addition the indoor surface will need to be relaid if it is retained that will cost £100k or something like.

Yes it is under threat at the moment, will depend what happens wont it...... and as usual no one connected is providing any reassurance are they

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Nick think how big the city baths are then put that alongside the higgs centre (just the pool bit) ...... something has to be lost. In addition the indoor surface will need to be relaid if it is retained that will cost £100k or something like.

Yes it is under threat at the moment, will depend what happens wont it...... and as usual no one connected is providing any reassurance are they
It has been laid hasn't it? Could be wrong, which if so why would they rip it up

Edit : This venue has a (recently relaid!) 3G Rubbercrumb floor - you will need short moulded studs or the pimpled Astroturf boots.

That was dated Sept 2015.

If it has just been done, are they going to rip up 100k's worth?

chiefdave

From our old friend Mr Gilbert

We asked the council at the time we broke the original story - they say nothing has been decided yet. However, it's our understanding the initially preferred location was at the current site of the indoor pitch. Nothing has been confirmed yet. CCFC have declined to comment so far.

chiefdave

No ambition? £900 seems a good offer. Didn't TM say they had offered him more than a first year pro would normally be offered? What do you expect them to do, pay him more than the players in the first team?

£2K (has that been confirmed anywhere or is it guesswork) might seem great now but long term he'd be better staying. A season or two banging in goals for us and he'd be getting much better offers than £2K a week. Lets face it he's hardly setting the world alight in the U21s.

fernandopartridge

Good analysis osb.

The only things fans can do is try and get behind the team, support them when you can and hope that the revenue generated can do enough to improve the team to get out of this division. Ignore what the club's owners are doing, the principle of a self sustaining club is actually right but it unfortunately has probably came at the wrong time.

SlowerThanPlatt

They don't announce the second scholars signing yet, even if they have agreed terms. Announcements are usually late May time

Brylowes

The telegraph love a good negative story about the City, wouldn't dare say anything negative about our landlords though.
Well if that's the truth then the telegraph must really love our club,after all
it provides them with a never ending conveyor belt of good negative stories.

Gazolba

<snip> we have made him a good offer and can offer him the chance to get first team experience<snip>

But how long would he have to wait to see some first team action? George Thomas is still waiting while has-beens like Henderson are signed and get in the squad. Sambou was unlikely to get any first team experience next season. Just maybe the season after.

chiefdave

But how long would he have to wait to see some first team action? George Thomas is still waiting while has-beens like Henderson are signed and get in the squad. Sambou was unlikely to get any first team experience next season. Just maybe the season after.

Well according to TM he hasn't been in the first team this season as his performances when he was moved up to U21 weren't good enough.

He went on to say he would have had pre-season with the first team and from there it would be down to how he performed but he would have likely been used in the first team next season.

How likely is he to be in the Everton first team next season?

Gazolba

<snip>

How likely is he to be in the Everton first team next season?

The Everton U21 team is probably better than our first team. But anyway Mowbray's promises, after the horse has bolted, ring hollow to me. If he won't play Thomas, why would he play Sambou?

SkyBlueZack

The owners use the club as a cash cow. Belter that is. Definitive proof that certain fans are that blinded by hatred that they have become delusional. Not keeping sambou at 2 grand a week shows lack of ambition. Another cracker. How many on here earn 900 quid a week working part time doing a job they love? We should be outraged the young upstart thinks he's better than the club that has developed him into the talent he is. Sisu are to blame for a lot but not everything. Certainly not the bubble English football is currently in. More money in it than sense. As FP said we need to back our club. Not the owners but the manager and players. If we could sell that stadium out we may just may get back to the club we were.

skyblue1991

The owners use the club as a cash cow. Belter that is. Definitive proof that certain fans are that blinded by hatred that they have become delusional. Not keeping sambou at 2 grand a week shows lack of ambition. Another cracker. How many on here earn 900 quid a week working part time doing a job they love? We should be outraged the young upstart thinks he's better than the club that has developed him into the talent he is. Sisu are to blame for a lot but not everything. Certainly not the bubble English football is currently in. More money in it than sense. As FP said we need to back our club. Not the owners but the manager and players. If we could sell that stadium out we may just may get back to the club we were.
I thoughr you were being serious there until the 4th sentence!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

You haven't got a clue.

stupot07

The Everton U21 team is probably better than our first team. But anyway Mowbray's promises, after the horse has bolted, ring hollow to me. If he won't play Thomas, why would he play Sambou?
How do you know the promises came after the horse has bolted? For all we know he had these discussions with Sambou when he offered him the contract.

I agree Thomas should be give and run.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mrtrench

This.

Users who are viewing this thread