Coventry City staring into Football Abyss (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Compares us to Leicester and Southampton, missing out that they have billionaire owners.

It is very strange how he wasn't banging on about this when we were winning games?

Rodders1

What really got to me was the bit where the Thai group had a tour of the Ricoh. Didn't know that happened. What put them off?!

Nick

Administrator
What really got to me was the bit where the Thai group had a tour of the Ricoh. Didn't know that happened. What put them off?!

If it happened, maybe it was the same as others who were put off at the time SISU came in...

Ashdown

The club was a basket case in 2007 with too many fingers in the pie and it's even worse now under these sharks who are just using it to their own ends. We're debt free though................and the new stadium is just 3 years down the line as of 2013.............

oucho

It's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture when you follow it so clolsely day to day.

If someone had said to me in 2000 that we'd be looking at 1-0 away to Wigan and 0-0 at Gills as results not to get too cross about, I'd have taken them outside for a slap. The club has fallen away so badly and the current model, barring the flash in the pan up to November, doesn't look like improving matters.

singers_pore

On current form we are nailed on certainties for relegation to Div 4 next season. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that that is equivalent to staring at the abyss.

SkyBlueZack

At the same time we spent money and still didn't get anywhere. Maybe people are right and the club is cursed. I know a lot of people just want to throw money at it but don't personally think that's the answer. Think we need to be patient. Don't think next season is necessarily doomed for failure. The whole where will he find another Armstrong don't wash with me. He hasn't scored many away from home. Hasn't scored many recently. As I've said before we almost signed Ajose, meaning TM picked out the leagues two top scorers. So he clearly has more than an idea about a striker who can score. More worrying as people have said is TM's capitulation record after xmas. Let's not forget this happened at Boro twice, who have a decent chairman in Gibson. Well he spends money which in fans eyes makes him decent. So the capitulation this season is not entirely down to the club living within it's means. Not saying we should sack TM, just think there's more to it than SISU won't put millions in.

What would people think if we went out and spent millions on flops? Happy that we spent money? Or annoyed at wasting millions? Thin line between success and failure in football.

Nick

Administrator
At the same time we spent money and still didn't get anywhere. Maybe people are right and the club is cursed. I know a lot of people just want to throw money at it but don't personally think that's the answer. Think we need to be patient. Don't think next season is necessarily doomed for failure. The whole where will he find another Armstrong don't wash with me. He hasn't scored many away from home. Hasn't scored many recently. As I've said before we almost signed Ajose, meaning TM picked out the leagues two top scorers. So he clearly has more than an idea about a striker who can score. More worrying as people have said is TM's capitulation record after xmas. Let's not forget this happened at Boro twice, who have a decent chairman in Gibson. Well he spends money which in fans eyes makes him decent. So the capitulation this season is not entirely down to the club living within it's means. Not saying we should sack TM, just think there's more to it than SISU won't put millions in.

What would people think if we went out and spent millions on flops? Happy that we spent money? Or annoyed at wasting millions? Thin line between success and failure in football.

We could go and buy Freddie Eastwood again.

I don't think it is down to pumping millions in, the same happened to him at Boro.

I could understand if the teams that were 20 odd points behind us and are now 10 points above us have all been out and invested millions but they haven't have they?

Terry Gibson's perm

Are we really starting next season in a worse position than we started this? Yes Armstrong goes back maybe we will get in two strikers who both score 15, Maddison was sold he isn't our best player. Let's see how the summer goes. A little story about the Leicester owners thrown in did they not buy leicester because the son went to uni there.

SkyBlueZack

I did think of Freddie when I was typing it. He didn't get us nowhere. The problem I think is we live in a world where we want everything yesterday. The club needs to be built from top to bottom with solid foundations. I know this will require investment but minimal compared to those fans wanting a 'warchest' given to TM or any other manager. The investment could also be made over a number of years. Fans want money to be spent but won't buy ST until money is spent. The club can't spend income it doesn't have. We go round in circles. It would be nice if the CT wrote more positive stuff about the club. Tried to encourage ST sales. I know in the main that is down to the club but the CT could help. After all weren't they the ones saying how important this club was to the city?

Skyblueweeman

I don't get the bit about the budget being trimmed further. We're self sufficient aren't we? I assume they're referring to the potential drop in ST sales?

SISU don't put any money in...doesn't TMs budget come from things like ticket sales, merchandise sales and the like? Also, he doesn't need to tart up the training ground or coach this summer.

Every little helps...

SkyBlueRuffian

Maddison was sold he isn't our best player.
But at the wrong time in the season, something that SISU have done to us time and time again. We're doing well, high up the table so what do SISU do, invest in the side to give us the best possible chance of promotion? No, they sell one of our star players, Juckievic, L Clarke, Maddison etc, who will it be next season?...

All we are is a cash cow for our owners, with no ambition to get us up the leagues. A shambles.

LB87ccfc

Compares us to Leicester and Southampton, missing out that they have billionaire owners.

It is very strange how he wasn't banging on about this when we were winning games?

The telegraph love a good negative story about the City, wouldn't dare say anything negative about our landlords though.

stevefloyd

But at the wrong time in the season, something that SISU have done to us time and time again. We're doing well, high up the table so what do SISU do, invest in the side to give us the best possible chance of promotion? No, they sell one of our star players, Juckievic, L Clarke, Maddison etc, who will it be next season?...

All we are is a cash cow for our owners, with no ambition to get us up the leagues. A shambles.

Not sure we have anybody worth selling to be honest

rupert_bear

Well in my opinion that article is pretty accurate. We have owners
putting little or nothing in, tell us we need 11000 to break even then alter that three quarters through the season by 25% and every 18 months or so cash in a starlet for a few million, win win for them isn't it

Grendel

It may have escaped your notice but we retained him for the season. Also we received a fee we'd now never get for him.

Cash cow? How does that work, the cash stays with the club.

ccfctommy

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...entry-city-staring-footballing-abyss-11172977

Are we, really?

Maybe it is because Fleck is going? Nothing like trying to whip up a frenzy is there ;)

No.

Maybe because all of the loans are going, and with the rest of the players leaving at the end of the season, leaving us with about 7 or 8 senior pro's. Complete total rebuild next season.

Maybe because none of the Maddison money will be re-invested into the team...

If Mowbray got £2million budget or so at the start of this season, do you think they are going to give him more this season?

The whole club is mickey mouse, even down to the little things like Wigan on Saturday, the fiasco with the team selection with the six loans, or maybe the fact that you have to go to the local rugby club to buy football tickets.

The football lately has been crap and right now I see now reason why I should renew my ST next season.

Sick Boy

It's hardly a surprise we are micky mouse....We don't own a stadium and rent from a franchise rugby club who are intend on being the main sports team in the city.

No one seems bothered though, so what's the point?

Grendel

Nothing to look forward too.
No plan and owners that just don't give a sh1t about the fans.
Another season of mediocre and court cases.
After the summers over we will all have high hopes ............................. again.
When do the season tickets go on sale ?

You really need to move on from this. Sisu aren't going anywhere. Just work with them and accept it for what it is.

bradwellskyblues

i think its worth remembering Andy Turner is a city fan not a journalist just given the job of following ccfc. I agree 100% with article,many people are to blame ccc higgs and sisu for starters

ccfctommy

You really need to move on from this. Sisu aren't going anywhere. Just work with them and accept it for what it is.

That's the problem. We're stuck with these shitehawk owners. I would love it if they put the club up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread