Coventry City star Marosi undergoing Shrewsbury Town medical today (1 Viewer)

Grendel

We have far more pressing areas to strengthen. Even if we find the next Lev Yashin, he wouldn’t have a hope with our current back line.

We have limited resources and we need to choose our priorities wisely. There’s a reason that teams rarely prioritise keepers. Concentrate on the more important areas of the team and you can get by with even a crap keeper (see: Wilson, Ben)

We struggled desperately in the early championship years as we ignores the keeper position - Dubec, Hydegaard and shearer. In the early 80’s we sacked Avromovic as we were going down. We’d have gone down in the 90’s without ogrizovic and his heroics at white hart lane - imagine Ben Wilson against that battering

larry_david

Don't mind marosi going. Writing was on the wall when Wilson was put in instead of him. As mentioned earlier we've got a few squad players that probably aren't good enough for championship. We need to clear the decks and MM was one of these. Should be a fairly decent fee too

slowpoke

So has this Sarkic signed or not. If he is a quarter as good as the last goalie we got who played games for Shrewsbury I’d go and pick him up myself.

SBT

We struggled desperately in the early championship years as we ignores the keeper position - Dubec, Hydegaard and shearer. In the early 80’s we sacked Avromovic as we were going down. We’d have gone down in the 90’s without ogrizovic and his heroics at white hart lane - imagine Ben Wilson against that battering

All of those teams had much bigger problems than the keepers! I don’t think any of them were going to suddenly pull up trees if you magically signed the best keeper in the division. Nor did they fare much worse than the seasons when we did spend money on good keepers like Westwood (did we ever get a top half finish with him?)

Our best season in the Championship was started with Stephen Bywater on loan and Clayton Ince. No need to be much more ambitious than that in our current position.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

All of those teams had much bigger problems than the keepers! I don’t think any of them were going to suddenly pull up trees if you magically signed the best keeper in the division. Nor did they fare much worse than the seasons when we did spend money on good keepers like Westwood (did we ever get a top half finish with him?)

Our best season in the Championship was started with Stephen Bywater on loan and Clayton Ince. No need to be much more ambitious than that in our current position.
Didn’t we end the season with Fulop on loan aswell? He was good

SBT

Didn’t we end the season with Fulop on loan aswell? He was good

Yeah….and Bywater had been promoted with West Ham the year before as well, but only played a dozen or so games. In my opinion it’s the most hit and miss position, and the most freely available as well.

Grendel

Yeah….and Bywater had been promoted with West Ham the year before as well, but only played a dozen or so games. In my opinion it’s the most hit and miss position, and the most freely available as well.

Clayton Ince played one game didn’t he?

SBT

Clayton Ince played one game didn’t he?

Don’t know - certainly doubt he played much. Anyway, our defensive record that year was one of the worst in the division, so clearly we weren’t built on being solid at the back, let alone a star goalkeeper.

My point is - teams can and do underperform with great keepers (Westwood) or overperform with crap ones (Wilson). Our season will be won or lost elsewhere. I’d rather prioritise those areas instead.

cc84cov

Don’t know - certainly doubt he played much. Anyway, our defensive record that year was one of the worst in the division, so clearly we weren’t built on being solid at the back, let alone a star goalkeeper.

My point is - teams can and do underperform with great keepers (Westwood) or overperform with crap ones (Wilson). Our season will be won or lost elsewhere. I’d rather prioritise those areas instead.
Did you watch us last season ? A keeper is a clear priority

Wake up

skybluepm2

God forbid we start the season with Wilson in goal. A loanee with no Championship experience also doesn’t fill me with great confidence. For me, experience in this position is vital, particularly given how disastrously both performed last year, (Marosi more so after that horrific injury the challenge of which should’ve led to a red card).

I do feel for Marko, who was a key ingredient in our promotion and was seriously chuffed to have someone half decent after being served up several years or shite from Burge. If someone had told me 12 months ago that Wilson had signed a new deal and we’d sold Marosi to Shrewsbury, I wouldn’t have believed them. Hope he can rediscover his form that served us so well 👏🏻

Last edited:

rob9872

Comparisons to previous Championship days when we spent money are miles off. We had better offensive players to help paper over the cracks. Strikers cost more money that we don't have, so a decent keeper is vital.

higgs

Did someone on here say Marosi had a run in with robins over being dropped for Wilson if so I guess the writing was on the wall

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Vital part of one of our most successful seasons in a long time. Absolute breath of fresh air compared to Burge, his ability on the ball and composure under pressure were impressive.

I think he’d have been an ok Championship keeper given a proper chance, but that would certainly be at the very edge of his potential.

Happy to see a new keeper come in, as long as he is an upgrade on Marosi.

Perhaps moving him, and depending who comes in, is a sign we’re aren’t going to be playing out from the back as much next year.

I don’t know names, but I do know someone is lined up. Not sure if it will be announced this week though.

D

Deleted member 11652

Did you watch us last season ? A keeper is a clear priority

Wake up

Mate @SBT don’t watch us he’s queuing downstairs to get a hot dog for Andy Turner.

@PVA and @procdoc openly admit they don’t watch us as well so they shouldn’t be allowed to comment

PVA

Mate @SBT don’t watch us he’s queuing downstairs to get a hot dog for Andy Turner.

@PVA and @procdoc openly admit they don’t watch us as well so they shouldn’t be allowed to comment

You're a fucking weirdo.

All because you were made to look a bit daft in another thread you've spent months randomly tagging us in threads all over the forum for no reason.

Genuinely weird behaviour.

D

Deleted member 11652

You're a fucking weirdo.

All because you were made to look a bit daft in another thread you've spent months randomly tagging us in threads all over the forum for no reason.

Genuinely weird behaviour.

What thread did I look daft in mate there must be several of them

SBT

Tesco Value Grendel still trawling the forum late on a school night, craving whatever beef he can find. Mum must’ve let him stay on the Xbox a little longer than usual for a treat.

D

Deleted member 11652

Tesco Value Grendel still trawling the forum late on a school night, craving whatever beef he can find. Mum must’ve let him stay on the Xbox a little longer than usual for a treat.

Well I have a PS4 rather than Xbox and if I was on that I wouldn’t be posting would I. 7/10 for effort though pal.

D

Deleted member 2477

God forbid we start the season with Wilson in goal. A loanee with no Championship experience also doesn’t fill me with great confidence. For me, experience in this position is vital, particularly given how disastrously both performed last year, (Marosi more so after that horrific injury the challenge of which should’ve led to a red card).

I do feel for Marko, who was a key ingredient in our promotion and was seriously chuffed to have someone half decent after being served up several years or shite from Burge. If someone had told me 12 months ago that Wilson had signed a new deal and we’d sold Marosi to Shrewsbury, I wouldn’t have believed them. Hope he can rediscover his form that served us so well 👏🏻

Sick Boy

Well I have to say, when I googled Matija Sarkic I did not expect him to be born in Grimsby :D Almost as surprising as Marosi's Burnley accent. I reckon Badlan clicked on that 'Meet hot Eastern Europeans in your area' advert on his laptop and it's screwed his algorithms.
Isn’t his father a diplomat for Montenegro?

Users who are viewing this thread