Match Thread Coventry City - Southampton Match Thread - Wednesday 13th Dec (2 Viewers)

skybluelee

As above Southampton forum think they will win easily by at least 2 goals.

I dont live to to far from Southampton and the couple of saints fans I know are absolute deluded morons so much be something in the water round here
At least 2? They haven't won by more than 2 in any game this season so not sure why they think an away game at a team that has only lost once at home all season is considered their easiest game of all.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We ran Ipswich closer than pretty much any other team. We missed a pen, they scored a worldie, and it took us ten minutes to start playing. Any of those don’t happen and we’d be hailing a tactical masterclass.

We've won 3 out the last 4. The one game we don't is when he plays stupid with the team selection.

I know you're dying on this hill, but he got it wrong. We have a system that seems to be working and the improvement is there to be clearly seen. Would be mad at this point to change that.

ccfcricoh

We ran Ipswich closer than pretty much any other team. We missed a pen, they scored a worldie, and it took us ten minutes to start playing. Any of those don’t happen and we’d be hailing a tactical masterclass.
i'd argue all of that was in the 2nd half after making 3 subs at half time and changing formation, we lost the first half 2.0, and shouldve won the 2nd half 2.0, had we started the way we finished the game could've got something out of it

shmmeee

i'd argue all of that was in the 2nd half after making 3 subs at half time and changing formation, we lost the first half 2.0, and shouldve won the 2nd half 2.0, had we started the way we finished the game could've got something out of it

Ipswich haven’t scored less than two goals at home all season. And it took a GK error and a worldie to score against us. It really wasn’t the terrible performance first half some are making out. They scored their second well against the run of play.

ccfcricoh

Ipswich haven’t scored less than two goals at home all season. And it took a GK error and a worldie to score against us. It really wasn’t the terrible performance first half some are making out. They scored their second well against the run of play.
i'm not saying we were horrendous, im just saying i think we could have done things differently and got a better result if we had played our game as opposed to adapting to suit - hindsight is wonderful, but tbf when was the last time MR made 3 changes at half time so he clearly knew he had got it wrong as well

shmmeee

i'm not saying we were horrendous, im just saying i think we could have done things differently and got a better result if we had played our game as opposed to adapting to suit - hindsight is wonderful, but tbf when was the last time MR made 3 changes at half time so he clearly knew he had got it wrong as well

Equally we could have been three down at half time 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m gonna trust the professionals on this one.

ccfcricoh

haha we'll agree to disagree - the only half of football in the last 5 games the tactics were tweaked and the only half of football we have lost

we'll see what MR plumps with on Wednesday

BlueSkiesForever

Work rate ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I don’t think Palmer’s good but he works hard in attack for us, he may not be a great defensive player but he runs at defenders and can dribble well enough with the ball. I think he gets too much stick tbh, I don’t rate him personally but there’ll be a role for him in the team and I think we should try and make him a better player before we right him off.
(I’m not saying he should start or he’s amazing btw, I just think he’s a good bench or rotation option to have for when the likes of Allen or O’Hare need a break.)

robbiethemole

How times {and fortunes) have changed, I think the last time we played them in the League was that last game at St Mary's in April 2012, when we lost 4-0 and we never stopped singing all game. It confirmed our relegation to L1, and I remember their fans coming up to the bus and commiserating with us and being impressed with our support.
Thorn was the manager and I think I've managed to blank out most of the side that played.

Happy_Martian

So'ton fans are so full of themselves. Just tried reading their forum..

WTF do these two think they're talking about. They don't have season tickets at Barcelona or Milan

1702317581031.png

BlueSkiesForever

So'ton fans are so full of themselves. Just tried reading their forum..

WTF do these two think they're talking about. They don't have season tickets at Barcelona or Milan

View attachment 32785

Yeah I don’t know what they were watching, we were all over Birmingham 😂 O’Hare scores 2 premiership-standard goals and they think we’re worse than a bunch of paraplegics, really hope we smash these guys on Wednesday now.

The way we’ve played recently certainly deserves a big result, Southampton are susceptible to a goal or two in most games and Bazunu looks shakier as their games go on. I think if we concentrate all game and keep ourselves in it we can win this one.

Sky Blue Pete

I don’t think Palmer’s good but he works hard in attack for us, he may not be a great defensive player but he runs at defenders and can dribble well enough with the ball. I think he gets too much stick tbh, I don’t rate him personally but there’ll be a role for him in the team and I think we should try and make him a better player before we right him off.
(I’m not saying he should start or he’s amazing btw, I just think he’s a good bench or rotation option to have for when the likes of Allen or O’Hare need a break.)
He has many good traits but that doesn’t include workrate

David O'Day

Every time I have seen them this year Southampton have been a typical Russell Martin team, loads of possession and only a couple of actual shots. A bit like Man City on Ketamine.

They still like that?

PVA

Have we beaten a Russell Martin team yet?

Robins is P7 W1 D3 L3 against Martin.

The only managers he has a worse record against in as many games as that is Nathan Jones and Nigel Adkins.

Incidentally the manager he has the best record against (after 7 or more games) is the one that the forum's resident nostradamus claimed is tactically superior to Robins - Gareth Ainsworth.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

They’re a decent and inoffensive club on the whole, I wouldn’t like to judged by some of the posts on here. Naming no names!
They are decent and inoffensive in as much as they're never really in the news because no one gives a toss about them.

Johhny Blue

Yeah I don’t know what they were watching, we were all over Birmingham 😂 O’Hare scores 2 premiership-standard goals and they think we’re worse than a bunch of paraplegics, really hope we smash these guys on Wednesday now.

The way we’ve played recently certainly deserves a big result, Southampton are susceptible to a goal or two in most games and Bazunu looks shakier as their games go on. I think if we concentrate all game and keep ourselves in it we can win this one.
Are you kiddin’?
O’Hare had a great game and took his chances well but in the premier league he wouldn’t have got past the first man let alone the fifth. If we had conceded either of those goals we’d be hanging defenders

Gibbo

Eccles has to come back or else Sheaf and the defence is too exposed with only one holding midfielder. Southampton are not Brum and I suspect we could be hammered without the extra defensive cover.

It seems to me there are two options

1. Straight swap Eccles for Allen.
2. Replace a striker and switch to one up front. I'd keep Wright, but I don't think it matters that much.

As the variant on 4-3-3 has been working, I'd go for option 1.

Sky Blue Pete

Eccles has to come back or else Sheaf and the defence is too exposed with only one holding midfielder. Southampton are not Brum and I suspect we could be hammered without the extra defensive cover.

2. Replace a striker and switch to one up front. I'd keep Wright, but I don't think it matters that much.

Think it will be something like that
Robins will be more attacking than he used to be at home as he’s normally a safety first manager but he’s tried to be more attacking at home the last few games
Desperate for one of our strikers to start putting the ball away

BlueSkiesForever

Are you kiddin’?
O’Hare had a great game and took his chances well but in the premier league he wouldn’t have got past the first man let alone the fifth. If we had conceded either of those goals we’d be hanging defenders

Sorry but I completely disagree, the way O’Hare managed to get the power to poke in the first goal through 2-3 defenders was quite impressive and the movement across the box for the second, dragging defenders out of position and waiting for the right moment, was quite clever. A lot of people, including me, were shouting shoot as soon as he had the ball but he had the foresight to make the chance more clinical by moving to the other side of the box. I don’t know what you saw but I saw two brilliantly taken goals, okay the opposition’s defending was poor but you can’t hold that against O’Hare. I don’t feel like I’m being over the top but those two goals in particular I wouldn’t be surprised to see similar in the premier league.

Travs

Tbf we only had to nearly go up for some to get delusions if grandeur, expectation, and desire to hang for losing to Ipswich.

Exactly.

A lot of our support went from "just glad to be a proper club again" to absolute delusion, almost overnight.

We aren't the worst offenders (take a bow Sunderland), but if we were comfortably in the playoffs and playing a team in mid-table, we'd be expectant of a victory, rightly or wrongly.

Brighton Sky Blue

Exactly.

A lot of our support went from "just glad to be a proper club again" to absolute delusion, almost overnight.

We aren't the worst offenders (take a bow Sunderland), but if we were comfortably in the playoffs and playing a team in mid-table, we'd be expectant of a victory, rightly or wrongly.
Correct, but at best arrogantly assuming victory leaves you with what you expected, at worst looking like a tit.

Gibbo

Correct, but at best arrogantly assuming victory leaves you with what you expected, at worst looking like a tit.
However the point is irrefutable. Were we in Southampton's position with their squad playing a team in our position, regardless of recent form, the majority opinion on here would be for an easy victory. And the mood would be just as nauseatingly cocky

stupot07

If Allen is fit he will play. If Eccles comes in, it will be Simms dropping out, and Wright switching to up top.

He won't want to lose Allen's off the ball discipline and ability to cut off passing lines against a side who will likely dominate possession.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread