Coventry City publish Accounts for Year Ended 31st May 2021 (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I know I said explain it to me like I'm a four year old, but expand a little if you wish?!

There’s a lot to go through isn’t there but our revenue from promotion has had to go on wages. We have a £13 million gross wage bill across the club a rise if £7 million.

Despite profits on transfers we’ve lost another £4 million

the only reason it’s not worse is a windfall pay I assume on the Callum Wilson sale to Newcastle as we’ve sold more than we paid on transfers

it’s not sustainable surely

Greggs

There’s a lot to go through isn’t there but our revenue from promotion has had to go on wages. We have a £13 million gross wage bill across the club a rise if £7 million.

the only reason it’s not worse is a windfall pay I assume on the Callum Wilson sale to Newcastle as we’ve sold more than we paid on transfers

Many clubs out there turning a profit?

Grendel

Many clubs out there turning a profit?

No idea but I doubt the dependence on continued funding at high interest rates is as bad for many clubs

Sky Blue Pete

If only the owners would cover the losses eh

Grendel

If only the owners would cover the losses eh

Well if they would we’d be in a lot better place - they had to take the EFL loan relies again on profit I assume from a player sold a decade ago and the loans look very interesting

What a strange response from a ccfc fan

Sky Blue Pete

Well if they would we’d be in a lot better place - they had to take the EFL loan relies again on profit I assume from a player sold a decade ago and the loans look very interesting

What a strange response from a ccfc fan
You doubting I’m a fan wow!!!!!’ We lost £4m what do you think?

Grendel

You doubting I’m a fan wow!!!!!’ We lost £4m what do you think?

you constantly on these issues seem very defensive regarding the club owners

perhaps you’d like to ask them how they propose to fund a new stadium build looking at these figures. I’d be fascinated by the response - I suspect as well this year trading wise will be even worse

Grendel

Oh and do you know there was a pandemic that stopped us receiving any money from fans

Im not sure what the point of that statement is as I would assume this year is even worse. There will of course also be furlough payments and the transfer benefits. I don’t see how even with supporters we’d make anything other than a loss

We also if course had a massive hike in revenue due to promotion

Sky Blue Pete

Im not sure what the point of that statement is as I would assume this year is even worse. There will of course also be furlough payments and the transfer benefits. I don’t see how even with supporters we’d make anything other than a loss

We also if course had a massive hike in revenue due to promotion
Me too. You’re a little contradictory grendel. The owners are supporting the club by covering the losses. But you don’t think they are supporting the club. Which is it?

Sky Blue Harry H

Surely our income in the next set of accounts will be a lot higher than this set (although I'm guessing wages will have risen). The interest bit is always going to be a bit of a millstone. Let's get promoted and put this all to bed!

Ccfcisparks

Nearly £7m increase in TV fees from just being promoted from League 1 to Championship is massive. A loss of £4m isn’t necessarily too concerning for a pandemic year. £2m a year on interest is though.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Summary of the main points

- the strategic report dresses things up as would any such report. Tells you what the directors & owners want you to hear - so look beyond it. It refers to investment but the only new monies have come from the EFL.

The auditors have not qualified their audit report. They do draw attention to the going concern, and to some extent the going concern basis is backed up again by a written undertaking to not call the owners loans in and to source additional finance. It is not a legally binding undertaking so could change.

Turnover was up in total over £6m. It would be interesting to see how much was covered by the business interruption insurance. There wont be that this season so i don't think anyone should expect because we have had good attendances that it will mean a massive increase in turnover for 2022

It seems that what we have gained in turnover was allocated to paying wages including bonuses for promotion. I don't see that changing in 2022 in terms of overall wage spend even without promotion. We have added to wage costs with the signings this year so any additional turnover has been allocated. Perhaps why limited signings in January with shipping players out to meet it. The number employed has also increased by 15 (only 1 on the admin side)

ground rental was down by £700k but the new agreement at CBS will reverse a big chunk of that at least. It is likely due to larger crowds etc that the direct costs in 2022 will increase. Yes F&B will be more but enough to make a massive difference?

Interest is down slightly, but in hard times it is still being charged. It could have been waived but it wasn't. The 2.2m is again added to debt

There was 1.7m spent on player purchases, and 1.6m received from player sales. Contracts are amortised over the period of the contract and as we have spent on better players over last couple years then that charge increases. It isn't money out as such because the money was spent when player bought but it does increase losses. Net cost of buying & selling players was £100k out.

2.4m was received in loans from EFL which are interest free, only to be used to fund day to day expenses like HMRC PAYE, and repayable over 3 years. That 3 years is important, because it means for each season there is 800k to be found out of the funds available to the club to repay it. Which means it comes out of total budget and restricts any money for player purchases

at the year end the club had 2.5m in the bank up from 1.1m previous year. I assume it was kept back to meet the cost of players eg Sheaf & Gyokeres (although will be staged payments) and to keep club going over the summer. The last two years have been cash flow positive by over £1m per year so the club is not spending everything it has available in 2021 or 2020. The club spent £1m on new players after the year end

The club lost 4.7m in 2021. Probably better than a lot of Championship teams, given the lack of actual financial support from the owners and lack of other assets not exactly great

other than player contracts there is little by way of fixed assets. Current assets (debtors, money bank ) were up 3.6m but current liabilities were up 8.8m. Creditors due in more than 1 year further increase the gap by 1.2m

Balance sheet deficit has increased 27.8m. People might say are but the value of certain players would clear much of that, but if sold they have to be replaced with players capable of keeping us in the Championship. So it would most likely still leave us with a big deficit.

Yes the pandemic has had an effect, quite correct to point to it, but not all negative in terms of working the financials ........ otherwise how did they get more in the bank by 31/05/2021

It is clear that the club is run well within its means and people should forget the notion that MR gets all the money available. I dont think that will change in the forseeable. 2022/23 budget will rely on player sales to balance the books.

Deeper in the hole, and perhaps certain fans will now see the myth of financial support for MR and the team from the owners for what it is .... a MYTH. They have not made a net investment financially in the 4 years to 31/05/2021. The only support they have provided is a non binding agreement not to call the loans in................. (a) the club couldnt pay it and (b) they would be shooting their "investment" in the foot by bankrupting the club

Not great, and getting worse

Last edited:

Grendel

Me too. You’re a little contradictory grendel. The owners are supporting the club by covering the losses. But you don’t think they are supporting the club. Which is it?

Are they covering losses or funding through further loans? What’s the deferred interest payments standing at now?

the balance sheet is horrific

i don’t see what you are saying and again where will they fund a stadium build?

CCFCSteve

- the strategic report dresses things up as would any such report. Tells you what the directors & owners want you to hear. It refers to investment but the only new monies have come from the EFL.

The auditors have not qualified their audit report. They do draw attention to the going concern, and to some extent the going concern basis is backed up again by a written undertaking to not call the owners loans in and to source additional finance. It is not a legally binding undertaking so could change.

Turnover was up in total over £6m. It would be interesting to see how much was covered by the business interruption insurance. There wont be that this season so i don't think anyone should expect because we have had good attendances that it will mean a massive increase in turnover for 2022

It seems that what we have gained in turnover was allocated to paying wages including bonuses for promotion. I don't see that changing in 2022. We have added to wage costs with the signings this year so any additional turnover has been allocated. Perhaps why limited signings in January with shipping players out to meet it. The number employed has also increased by 15 (only 1 on the admin side)

ground rental was down by £700k but the new agreement at CBS will reverse a big chunk of that. It is likely due to larger crowds etc that the direct costs in 2022 will increase.

Interest is down slightly, but in hard times it is still being charged. It could have been waived but it wasnt. The 2.2m is again added to debt

There was 1.7m spent on player purchases, and 1.6m received from player sales. Contracts are are amortised over the period of the contract and as we have spent on better players over last couple years then that charge increases. It isnt money out as such because the money was spent when player bought but it does increase losses

2.4m was received in loans from EFL which are interest free, only to be used to fund day to day expenses like HMRC PAYE, and repayable over 3 years. That 3 years is important, because it means for each season there is 800k to be found out of the funds available to the club to repay it. Which means it comes out of total budget and restricts any money for player purchases

at the year end the club had 2.5m in the bank up from 1.1m previous year. I assume it was kept back to meet the cost of players eg Sheaf & Gyokeres (although will be staged payments) and to keep club going over the summer. The last two years have been cash flow positive by over £1m per year so the club is not spending everything it has available in 2021 or 2020

The club lost 4.7m in 2021. Probably better than a lot of Championship teams, given the lack of actual financial support from the owners and lack of other assets not exactly great

other than player contracts there is little by way of fixed assets. Current assets (debtors, money bank ) were up 3.6m but current liabilities were up 8.8m. Creditors due in more than 1 year further increase the gap by 1.2m

Balance sheet deficit has increased 27.8m. People might say are but the value of certain players would clear much of that, but if sold they have to be replaced with players capable of keeping us in the Championship. So it would most likely leave us with a big deficit.

Yes the pandemic has had an effect, quite correct to point to it, but not all negative in terms of working the financials ........ otherwise how did they get more in the bank by 31/05/2021

Deeper in the hole, and perhaps certain fans will now see the myth of financial support for MR and the team from the owners for what it is .... a MYTH. The only support they have provided is a non binding agreement not to call the loans in................. (a) the club couldnt pay it and (b) they would be shooting their "investment" in the foot by bankrupting the club

Great overview. Thanks

Greggs

- the strategic report dresses things up as would any such report. Tells you what the directors & owners want you to hear. It refers to investment but the only new monies have come from the EFL.

It seems that what we have gained in turnover was allocated to paying wages including bonuses for promotion. I don't see that changing in 2022. We have added to wage costs with the signings this year so any additional turnover has been allocated. Perhaps why limited signings in January with shipping players out to meet it. The number employed has also increased by 15 (only 1 on the admin side)

ground rental was down by £700k but the new agreement at CBS will reverse a big chunk of that. It is likely due to larger crowds etc that the direct costs in 2022 will increase.

Interest is down slightly, but in hard times it is still being charged. It could have been waived but it wasnt. The 2.2m is again added to debt

There was 1.7m spent on player purchases, and 1.6m received from player sales. Contracts are are amortised over the period of the contract and as we have spent on better players over last couple years then that charge increases. It isnt money out as such because the money was spent when player bought but it does increase losses

at the year end the club had 2.5m in the bank up from 1.1m previous year. I assume it was kept back to meet the cost of players eg Sheaf & Gyokeres (although will be staged payments) and to keep club going over the summer. The last two years have been cash flow positive by over £1m per year so the club is not spending everything it has available in 2021 or 2020

Balance sheet deficit has increased 27.8m. People might say are but the value of certain players would clear much of that, but if sold they have to be replaced with players capable of keeping us in the Championship. So it would most likely leave us with a big deficit.

Deeper in the hole, and perhaps certain fans will now see the myth of financial support for MR and the team from the owners for what it is .... a MYTH. The only support they have provided is a non binding agreement not to call the loans in................. (a) the club couldnt pay it and (b) they would be shooting their "investment" in the foot by bankrupting the club

Well considering we can make massive profit on at least 3 players, you don't think the club are capable of doing it again? It's pretty much common knowledge that we wouldn't spend £5 million on a replacement for Hamer if we sold him, or 8 million for Gyokeres. Buy low and sell high is the plan. No reason we can't sign more unpolished gems, i guess that is the plan.

Grendel

Does it matter if it can't be paid?

Well some of it can at some point I’d say the club sells its prime assets and purchases inferior ones surely

Paxman II

I do not think any championship football clubs accounts will read well. We are making more this year - finally. We will have to play the players market wisely, as we have in the past. If we should get promoted to the promise land this will look like a blip. If we don't we are in better shape than many others, be it a poor state of affairs.

Kingokings204

So basically, Mark Robins has performed a gods miracle over the last 4 years with zero investment and putting up with another groundshare thrown in.

we could be winning this league with some investment and financial backing. Maybe now some fans will give robins some slack. He is literally fighting with one hand tied behind his back.

Greggs

So basically, Mark Robins has performed a gods miracle over the last 4 years with zero investment and putting up with another groundshare thrown in.

we could be winning this league with some investment and financial backing. Maybe now some fans will give robins some slack. He is literally fighting with one hand tied behind his back.
zero investment? are we still paying league 2 wages to the players?

Users who are viewing this thread