Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (8 Viewers)

Astute

I raise you the mother in law end of and don’t try and return her 🤬
Don't worry. She will turn into her mother over the years so you will know what tou have to look forward to 😂😂😂

Mine was an absolute mare. Enjoyed winding her up though. I was the only person who ever got away with it. She would shout at my FiL to get me to stop but he would already have picked up a newspaper to try and hide he was in hysterics 😁

Saddlebrains

What people forget is, yes under SISU we had to beg, borrow, steal and it was a shitshow until MR came back

He came back on the basis that he does what he wants, when he wants. Oversees what he wants to oversee etc. That dynamic worked a treat none of us will argue that

We've now seen King is opposite. Not saying thats a bad thing, and hes done some fantastic work at the club so far

But when you have free reign to do what you want when you want and get a club up from the bones of its arse to where it is now, when someone comes in and takes them reigns away, it isnt nice. For anybody

Think people need to remember that

This is by no means saying theres trouble at mill or anything at all, fans just need to realise the dynamics changed and Robins will need to take some time to adjust and not feel as put out so to speak

Mucca Mad Boys

Nothing that would have bothered the Overdraft put it that way

Apparently Doug is very anti loan because 'why should we pay for someone elses player'. Things like that are when he needs to realise hes running a football club now not his other, admittedly very successful business

I’m glad he’s anti-loan because we’ve put some serious money into build a squad of own players.

However, there needs to be a pragmatism there and if we don’t make the playoffs, you’d think MR would raise these points to Doug.

In any case, King’s expectations publicly is to be ‘in and around’ the playoffs rather than to be make the playoffs/automatic promotion. Unless different things are being said privately, MR will be given leeway should we fail to make the playoffs.

ccfc1234

It's amazing how this sort of speculation can grow arms and legs. One person suggested Robins was grumpy in a post match interview and it's snowballed into all sorts of guesswork and questionable assertions that MR has had his operational wings clipped by King!

Not really helpful speculation.

shmmeee

Yea I was 50/50. I know it’s pretty much accepted Collins is a step up from Wilson, and he probably is, but he honestly doesn’t convince me. His distribution frustrates me too, as I’m sure he was billed as a sweeper keeper type.

I chose Wilson as he kept a clean sheet.

I wouldn’t mind either on Friday.

Collins distribution is significantly better TBF, particularly his long balls.

shmmeee

It’s a learning process for everyone. If we do fall short hopefully King takes note. As long as he’s not refusing resource and expecting instant results it’s fine.

Yank

Preston are doing way better this season than I thought they would. Not the flashiest of teams, and their defense is very suspect, but yet they are still getting some good results.

Will be a tough one, but I think we can take all 3 points.

alfielloyd

It started at Millwall we were winning and cruising and for some reason he came bulldozing out for a cross at the edge of the area flattened half our defence they scored and went on to win and from that point he became a liability and got dropped for Wilson who despite Grendels venom for him secured the number one spot for himself.
I get that but there has to be more to it than coming out to catch a ball and not getting the ball. To be fair to Grendel my judgement of Wilson is fairly similar. The idea of him being a number one in the Championship is bonkers. He got very, very lucky.

alfielloyd

Yea I was 50/50. I know it’s pretty much accepted Collins is a step up from Wilson, and he probably is, but he honestly doesn’t convince me. His distribution frustrates me too, as I’m sure he was billed as a sweeper keeper type.

I chose Wilson as he kept a clean sheet.

I wouldn’t mind either on Friday.
Yesterday against Stoke how the fuck does he not keep a clean sheet, they had one fairly terrible shot on target.

pusbccfc

What people forget is, yes under SISU we had to beg, borrow, steal and it was a shitshow until MR came back

He came back on the basis that he does what he wants, when he wants. Oversees what he wants to oversee etc. That dynamic worked a treat none of us will argue that

We've now seen King is opposite. Not saying thats a bad thing, and hes done some fantastic work at the club so far

But when you have free reign to do what you want when you want and get a club up from the bones of its arse to where it is now, when someone comes in and takes them reigns away, it isnt nice. For anybody

Think people need to remember that

This is by no means saying theres trouble at mill or anything at all, fans just need to realise the dynamics changed and Robins will need to take some time to adjust and not feel as put out so to speak

How much of the £35m would SISU have given to Robins?

alfielloyd

Problem is people believe this sort of shit. Remember at the start of the season when Sakamoto wasn't starting games or getting many minutes and it was apparently because Robins was pissed off King had signed him without his knowledge because he wanted to sell shirts in Japan :ROFLMAO:
If you have listened to Robins do his post match after the last three games and do not detect frustration, perhaps exhaustion, over sensitivity regarding team selection, possible resentment of having to compete in the FA Cup, I do not think you have been listening carefully enough. This is not a criticism of Robins who done great things but the landscape has changed and there are aspects he seems unhappy with, hopefully it is transition and nothing more, but yesterday even our man Oggy suggested he should just on with it, i.e stop whining about the number of games we are playing.

Sick Boy

I’m glad he’s anti-loan because we’ve put some serious money into build a squad of own players.

However, there needs to be a pragmatism there and if we don’t make the playoffs, you’d think MR would raise these points to Doug.

In any case, King’s expectations publicly is to be ‘in and around’ the playoffs rather than to be make the playoffs/automatic promotion. Unless different things are being said privately, MR will be given leeway should we fail to make the playoffs.
The public expectation is promotion within 5 years.

Great_Expectations

Collins distribution is significantly better TBF, particularly his long balls.

Don’t disagree. I should have been clearer re the sweeper keeper bit - while he’s better than Wilson distribution wise, overall he’s nowhere near what I was expecting when he was billed as being good with his feet etc.

For example, he does that silly fake pass one too many times everytime so when he does actually pass it, players are marked and/or play has been needlessly slowed down.

I’m not hating on Collins at all, I just expecting more of a footballer.

Astute

Yesterday against Stoke how the fuck does he not keep a clean sheet, they had one fairly terrible shot on target.
Why do so many look at one part of what a player does on the pitch and ignore everything else?

Collins seems to be a better shot stopper. His distribution is certainly better. But his handling and general command of the penalty area is quite poor. This leads to chances to our opposition.

Wilson commands his area. He is more vocal so his defenders can trust him more. His handling is also much better. Each time he caught the ball it stopped a chance for them.

Just because they only had 1 shot on target ot doesn't mean he had nothing to do or didn't stop attacks from being shots on target.

But all this doesn't mean I think Wilson is better than Collins. Robins could have preferred Wilson in this game knowing how Stoke play and wanting someone to stop the balls into the area.

alfielloyd

Why do so many look at one part of what a player does on the pitch and ignore everything else?

Collins seems to be a better shot stopper. His distribution is certainly better. But his handling and general command of the penalty area is quite poor. This leads to chances to our opposition.

Wilson commands his area. He is more vocal so his defenders can trust him more. His handling is also much better. Each time he caught the ball it stopped a chance for them.

Just because they only had 1 shot on target ot doesn't mean he had nothing to do or didn't stop attacks from being shots on target.

But all this doesn't mean I think Wilson is better than Collins. Robins could have preferred Wilson in this game knowing how Stoke play and wanting someone to stop the balls into the area.
Do not disagree with some aspects of your argument, personally I think Collins is a better keeper but we should be looking to improve this area of the pitch, I did not think Wilson was particularly assured in the FA Cup games. Historically we have generally had tidy goalkeepers but more recently this has not been the case. Surprised to hear Robins say yesterday that we do not have a number 1 keeper, that they will both play, that to me suggests we need a new keeper,

Astute

Do not disagree with some aspects of your argument, personally I think Collins is a better keeper but we should be looking to improve this area of the pitch, I did not think Wilson was particularly assured in the FA Cup games. Historically we have generally had tidy goalkeepers but more recently this has not been the case. Surprised to hear Robins say yesterday that we do not have a number 1 keeper, that they will both play, that to me suggests we need a new keeper,
Of course we should be looking for an upgrade. But look at last season. Record amount of clean sheets for Wilson. He isn't a bad keeper. Every other position on the pitch was more important yet we still got Collins.

Hobo

Perhaps we should sack the whole defence off then - they all had the day off! (SARCASM!!)

slowpoke

Problem is people believe this sort of shit. Remember at the start of the season when Sakamoto wasn't starting games or getting many minutes and it was apparently because Robins was pissed off King had signed him without his knowledge because he wanted to sell shirts in Japan :ROFLMAO:
Well he has proved he’s a good judge of a player I say let him sign more

skybluecam

A week to go, pretty much all the rest of the stadium has been sold out bar a smattering of seats, and therefore any walk up should see a good chunk of these go. It won't look empty come match day.
I hope you're right.

It will be interesting to see how things change if they keep this up and into ST renewals next season.

Boicey

Exactly. So there’s no rush to get promoted this season.

Looking at the league next season and the state of our team, there’s no reason why we couldn’t be pushing for automatics with 4-5 quality signings.
You think there’s money for that?
This year was the windfall. From now on it will be a lot tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread