Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (3 Viewers)

Ccfcisparks

I was thinking about this. O'Brien was pants from the start. Burge, whom he inherited was ok for L2, but not L1. Marosi ok for L1 but not Championship. Moore is not up to snuff. Wilson was protected by one of the best back three's in the history of the Club. Collins is a marginal upgrade on Wilson at best

IIRC we had David Stockdale for a couple of games because of injuries (or am I imagining that?) and he was exactly the type of keeper we need, above all a big bloke who commanded the area. Do Bill Glazier's grandchildren keep goal?
We had Stockdale for 2 games in League 1.
He played 17 games in the Championship for Wycombe and then dropped to the lower leagues.

collins is miles better than him.

skyblue_55

Stockdale …… unfortunately for us , on big money at Birmingham I think ?
I remember him at Rochdale away , when for some reason he came out of his goal , to near the half way line, to have a chat with one of our players , when we were attacking .
A class above , but after our short loan , didn’t he end up at Wycombe ?

Balli001

I was thinking about this. O'Brien was pants from the start. Burge, whom he inherited was ok for L2, but not L1. Marosi ok for L1 but not Championship. Moore is not up to snuff. Wilson was protected by one of the best back three's in the history of the Club. Collins is a marginal upgrade on Wilson at best

IIRC we had David Stockdale for a couple of games because of injuries (or am I imagining that?) and he was exactly the type of keeper we need, above all a big bloke who commanded the area. Do Bill Glazier's grandchildren keep goal?
O'brien is now at bedworth to prove that point!

Seaside-Skyblue

Do we know for sure that DK has asked specifically to compete more than we normally would in the FA cup? We've had dare I say it relatively straight forward draws to get where we are and probably expected to beat the teams we've played so far. I don't think we are here as a result of "trying harder".

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Do we know for sure that DK has asked specifically to compete more than we normally would in the FA cup? We've had dare I say it relatively straight forward draws to get where we are and probably expected to beat the teams we've played so far. I don't think we are here as a result of "trying harder".

Yeah Robins said so.

Sky Blue Pete

Big, big game with direct play off implications, so strongest team needed.

DaSilva v Bidwell is the big decision point for me, especially as they are likely to be up against a good attacking threat in Miller. I prefer when we play on the front foot and we look better when we play football, which therefore means JDS starts.

Wilson
MVE Thomas Binks JDS
Eccles Torp
Sakamoto COH Wright
Simms

The above assumes Sakamoto and Torp are both fit, if not then I’d go Taveres and Lati. Both are obvious drops offs in terms of attacking attributes but I prefer Taveres than seeing Simms shifted out wide.
Agreed

shmmeee

Fair enough, hadn't realised.

Back to topic... I think we start sluggish and come back against PNE to draw. They appear clinical with their chances so we will need to limit them to very few. Really hope Torp can play as him and Ohare are really the key to Simms form progressing.

We need a win really. Can’t see us getting much vs West Brom. And the games only get harder from here. We need to be looking to win pretty much all our home games. But yeah really worried if Torp is out. Big drop in forward passing quality without him or sheaf.

alfielloyd

Agree about Stockdale, proper goalkeeper. The odd thing about Moore is that he actually did look like the real deal, I am really intrigued, why did he disintegrate so badly?

shmmeee

Agree about Stockdale, proper goalkeeper. The odd thing about Moore is that he actually did look like the real deal, I am really intrigued, why did he disintegrate so badly?

Seemed to be after Covid. Maybe long term symptoms? Particularly brain fog might do it.

Paxman II

As always a difficult side to play on their day. We need a full side out and to be better than our last two games. Minimum is not to lose this game. I'd put Bidders in for this one and Kitching back obviously. I'd go one up front and add Kelly in the middle for extra strength in midfield allowing Torp to move more forward. Wright or Simms that is the question?

slowpoke

Allsop kept him out of the Wycombe team for the most part!

It started at Millwall we were winning and cruising and for some reason he came bulldozing out for a cross at the edge of the area flattened half our defence they scored and went on to win and from that point he became a liability and got dropped for Wilson who despite Grendels venom for him secured the number one spot for himself.

Great_Expectations

I’d go with this but have Collins in goal.

Yea I was 50/50. I know it’s pretty much accepted Collins is a step up from Wilson, and he probably is, but he honestly doesn’t convince me. His distribution frustrates me too, as I’m sure he was billed as a sweeper keeper type.

I chose Wilson as he kept a clean sheet.

I wouldn’t mind either on Friday.

steve cooper

Something not quite right with our messiah, post match loads of negatives connected to how many games we are playing, with the exception of the Cup, which he probably does not want us to be in, all teams in the EFL will play 46 games! His comment about not having a number 1 keeper, equally strange, Collins is a better keeper than both Moore and Wilson. Cannot imagine Collins was pleased about being dropped. Is he still fed up cos we did not sign more players in January? Something not right, too many negatives, thankfully at this stage not on the pitch. Think it is Robins that needs a break not the players.
I think good assessment

ptr

Marosi was superb in league 1.

Saddlebrains

Do we know how far away from being impressed he is!? Other than him trolling Doug with team selection (joke btw!) - anything drastic happening/likely to happen?

Na he wont walk or anything like that

But at the end of the day, when its obvious to us supporters that Dougs been sat on a wad of Hamer cash for months, adding in the extra 1 million from Vik weve got, imagine how he feels when he identified EMC and Rak Sakyi as 2 to get us over the line, and Doug wouldnt pay the wages for one, and was tooing a froing with Mcanthony over a few hundred K on deadline day when it could have been dealt with a few days previous 🤷

Brighton Sky Blue

Na he wont walk or anything like that

But at the end of the day, when its obvious to us supporters that Dougs been sat on a wad of Hamer cash for months, adding in the extra 1 million from Vik weve got, imagine how he feels when he identified EMC and Rak Sakyi as 2 to get us over the line, and Doug wouldnt pay the wages for one, and was tooing a froing with Mcanthony over a few hundred K on deadline day when it could have been dealt with a few days previous 🤷
What sort of wages would the loan have been?

GaryJones

This is a must win game - we need to keep the pressure on WBA and the pack below us.

Saddlebrains

What sort of wages would the loan have been?

Nothing that would have bothered the Overdraft put it that way

Apparently Doug is very anti loan because 'why should we pay for someone elses player'. Things like that are when he needs to realise hes running a football club now not his other, admittedly very successful business

Astute

We drew 0-0 at Deepdale last season, was a night game I think
Remember it well. We had a few chances but both sides cancelled each other out. Had a cracking kebab after the game and a chat with some of their supporters. Said we were the best side they had seen so far....

Brighton Sky Blue

Nothing that would have bothered the Overdraft put it that way

Apparently Doug is very anti loan because 'why should we pay for someone elses player'. Things like that are when he needs to realise hes running a football club now not his other, admittedly very successful business
They're also how you get seasons over the line and protect the players who really are yours. Pity that

Jarvo87

Big, big game with direct play off implications, so strongest team needed.

DaSilva v Bidwell is the big decision point for me, especially as they are likely to be up against a good attacking threat in Miller. I prefer when we play on the front foot and we look better when we play football, which therefore means JDS starts.

Wilson
MVE Thomas Binks JDS
Eccles Torp
Sakamoto COH Wright
Simms

The above assumes Sakamoto and Torp are both fit, if not then I’d go Taveres and Lati. Both are obvious drops offs in terms of attacking attributes but I prefer Taveres than seeing Simms shifted out wide.
^^ my thoughts too.

Always seem to have it tough against these, so any sort of win will do - can’t see many goals so Simms with the decisive one.

Users who are viewing this thread