Match Thread Coventry City - Preston North End FC Match Thread - Friday 23rd Feb (4 Viewers)

Gibbo

I am with Otis.

For creativity Eccles and Lati is pretty average for the division and they are both holding midfielders. Only Gareth Southgate thinks you need two of those. One is ok, but two....

Suspect Preston will sit on O'Hare and the ball will not move quickly enough to the front, bringing howls of frustration from the very people up thread who thought they are good enough.

I would have Palmer in. I have been looking at some old match highlights. Millwall last year he rampaged up the middle of the park. We will need some rampaging.

I have had to get a refund on my ticket because of the date change. I bought three tickets for Bristol, Millwall and PNE and every one had the date changed for one reason or another. OK on the other two, but not PNE

Mcbean

They will press high after watching the Plymouth game - really strangled us - hope Torp is fit !

Mucca Mad Boys

With Torp, Sheaf and Allen out injured, it really is time for Eccles to step up and prove he is a top quality Championship CM.

A lot of this forum seems to think he is. He’s a solid option defensively and in possession but he’s conservative. Sheaf and Torp are a level above him.

procdoc

With Torp, Sheaf and Allen out injured, it really is time for Eccles to step up and prove he is a top quality Championship CM.

A lot of this forum seems to think he is. He’s a solid option defensively and in possession but he’s conservative. Sheaf and Torp are a level above him.
He’s a different type of player to Sheaf and Torp. Eccles has now played over 100 games for us, he’s proven himself to be a quality championship level player. Maybe try getting off his back and supporting him

edgy

They will press high after watching the Plymouth game - really strangled us - hope Torp is fit !

If they are pressing high and hard, ping it down the left to Wright and or Simms. Both ok the air, Wright does well with these type of balls.

I don't want us to continue to try to play through a press, especially with the players we have missing. Get the bastard ball up the pitch until the press has dwindled.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As we all know, our record isn’t stellar agaisnt Preston

So fun fact.. or not (haven’t seen it mentioned) we’ve won 2 in 33 league games against them since relegation from the prem. last being 20 league games ago in 2007.

for no reason - other than faith 2-1 win tonight

CV22SBA

Does anyone know roughly how many we get POTG these days?
If they had not opened the South Stand for this game it would have already sold out in the home end.
At what point does POTG stop? I estimate about 2.5K tickets left for tonight in the home end.

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s a different type of player to Sheaf and Torp. Eccles has now played over 100 games for us, he’s proven himself to be a quality championship level player. Maybe try getting off his back and supporting him
I’m not on his back. This season we were hearing how midfield was our strongest area and now Sheaf is out, we rely on Torp for creativity.

We want to be a Premiership team, so Lati and Eccles need to elevate their game.

napolimp

This is the first time this season where I've felt like we must win. It's nearly March now, lose and we could be pulled back by a few team, and a gap could open up to the play-off places. A win at home to Preston will be a real show of intent for me, and show the team can hold their nerve and pick up full points from teams around them.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

This is the first time this season where I've felt like we must win. It's nearly March now, lose and we could be pulled back by a few team, and a gap could open up to the play-off places. A win at home to Preston will be a real show of intent for me, and show the team can hold their nerve and pick up full points from teams around them.
Our season really hinges on the next 7 days.

get 3 losses and it’s effectively season over

Offhegoes

No issue with Eccles, and with Lati there it might free him more to drive forward. As others have said, our creativity comes from Saka, Wright, O'Hare Palmer & Simms.

Hertsccfc

I meant in the midfield pairing
Why do we keep going on about our holding players not creating enough when we have four forwards players whose role it is? We play with four forward players. Also Eccles is far more creative than many give him credit for.

Wright, Sakamoto, Palmer and O'Hare are very positive and creative players. Two holding players behind them is sensible.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

If this is the only plan in place for tonight it’s going to be carnage again.

For all the positives and massive steps forward we’ve taken the last few years, this aspect is still so amateur.

And before people moan, it isn’t as straightforward for people to just get there early. Especially on Friday when people have work, plans with kids/families etc to work around.

lacesoutdom

If this is the only plan in place for tonight it’s going to be carnage again.

For all the positives and massive steps forward we’ve taken the last few years, this aspect is still so amateur.

And before people moan, it isn’t as straightforward for people to just get there early. Especially on Friday when people have work, plans with kids/families etc to work around.
yeah and i want to get a pie and look around the shop and not buy anything

Users who are viewing this thread