Match Thread Coventry City - Plymouth Argyle Match Thread - Tuesday 28th Nov (2 Viewers)

oscillatewildly

I thought Wright's 2nd half impression of Marcel Marceau doing a man running through treacle was spot on.
Add to that the crowd entering into panto spirit with "Behind you"!

fatso

Nobody is being defensive mate , it’s more supportive and realistic even
I've supported him, but (imo) he's not at this level, and we paid way OTT for him, which isn't his fault of course, its our recruitment thats at fault. but we need better than him and Godden and Simms if we want to progress.

Being objective and pointing out our deficiencies up front isn't lacking support, it's being objective.

SkyBlueMatt

Good on Wright getting the goal. I have to take the same view I had on Godden. He's scored 5 goals in 10 starts. He got the game winning goal today and had a major part in the goals against Millwall. We've won 2/2 and so I don't see why we have to focus on being negative.

I'm personally all for the hands over/in ears celebration. He needs some arrogance and a bit of a f*ck you attitude as he seems very timid. I really hope there is more to come when he builds up his confidence.

The switch to a back four has been a great move and I think we're finally starting to see some cohesion within the team.

Saka had a good game, I was really surprised when we took him off but the goal came from that side so it worked.

Simms I thought had a good little cameo, it's good to see him tracking back, helping out the midfield, coming to the ball but also playing off the last man. Not just waiting for it like he was at the start of the season. I have high hopes for him.

Lots of improvements still to be made but 6 points from 2 games. PUSB.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

procdoc

I agree with this, so why are you so defensive of Wright? That's what I don't get
Because I think a lot of the abuse he gets is unfair. It’s not his fault that he went for such a large fee (for us). Plus his goals return isn’t that bad considering he’s only started 10 games or so.
If he misses a chance it’s under the microscope a lot more than if Simms or Godden miss a chance. I don’t think some in our fanbase treat him with any respect. He’s clearly good enough for this league

Martin180

I've supported him, but (imo) he's not at this level, and we paid way OTT for him, which isn't his fault of course, its our recruitment thats at fault. but we need better than him and Godden and Simms if we want to progress.

Being objective and pointing out our deficiencies up front isn't lacking support, it's being objective.
I get that I really do , and I know how frustrating it is following home and away but this season is a total rebuild . I will give them my continued support until there is a lack of effort or players start hiding . So far I’ve not seen that , I’ve seen disjointed performances , players low in confidence and a team not clicking. In Robins we have a gem of a manager who consistently improves players and finds a system and a way of getting the best out of players at his disposal.
45 years of backing my team , through highs and many lows , I like to be as positive as I can

harvey098

So much wrong - you’ve listed three things, two of which I disagree with and one is yet to be proved…

Allen was poor tonight, he wasn’t all over the pitch and didn’t make many runs in behind if any, he gave the ball away so many times and was always a yard off the pace - I agree though that he did track back well at the end and nicked the ball before their player got there, but that’s one thing over 90 minutes;

Tats was playing with a knock, but he still was looking effective, however the goal came from MVE who was on the pitch from the start, and at the time O’Hare was drifting to the left and looking for the ball more - what I assume you didn’t see was that after Tats went off there was little cover on that side coming back for MVE….?

…and for all his good points, Robins has never understood when to make a change and who to take off / bring on, it’s been criticised for seasons, so it hasn’t just happened! like I said, I’m reserving judgment because I’m not sure if the Millwall game was a one off rather than the start of turning the corner, and this hasn’t done much to convince me otherwise, but a win is a win and there are some positives
“Robins has never understood when to make a change and who to take off / bring on”

what are you talking about 😂 he knows when / when not to make a sub a lot more than you and I. Such misplaced arrogance to think you know more about in-game management than our most successful managers in yonks.

People knocking his subs tonight but despite a 1-0 lead and 6 minutes added on, we barely conceded a chance against against one of the biggest scorers in the league. Subs were perfect.

Hi Argyle Aussie fan here. Hope you don't mind me posting my observations. I'll leave the ref decision aside.
I've seen all Argyle games this season and that was our second worst performance, as all our flair players were off it. In fact I think both teams looked a bit leggy and not on it as maybe Sat/Tues fatigue set in. It was a poor game.

You look very solid, but I was surprised you didn't take the game more to us (aside form first 25 mins), I felt you are set up to not concede rather than dominate games. Your midfield is solid and strong and your Japanese player is quality (why did you take him off?). Comparing you vs other teams, at the moment you look like you are in the 6th - Mid table bracket. Better than Brum, Preston etc. I think you just need a bit more pace up top to feed off Wright (who looks like he could be a 10m player sometime and a 500k player the other, but he will improve I reckon). Best sides we have played this season have been Leeds (lost 2-1), Sunderland (won 2-0), Boro (drew 3-3), Hull (1-1) good on their day and West Brom (0-0) are boring, dull giants, physical but effective. Saints (lost 2-1) are a poor man's Man City and Ipswich (lost 3-2) who while slick and good at attacking I think will drop off. You have a good chance against them Saturday, and you will score against them. Leicester are only top side we still need to play. Huddersfield (won 3-1) and Millwall (somehow we lost 2-0) are worst sides we've seen but not played Rotheram or QPR yet.

I was supporting you guys last season and so sorry you missed out on promotion. You look like you are in the stages of rebuilding this season, a bit more zip and adventure and I can see you top 6.

We were off it today normally we are much more fluid and have more chances but we just need to stay up and build next season and improve our squad. We run a sustainable model so our wage bill is tiny but the club are so well run (proper community club) and our manager is tactically up there with best and a great bloke too. If he can replicate Robins we'll be happy. Good luck for the season, you guys have had a tough time with owners, stadium issues, keen to see clubs like yours and ours succeed vs so many of these other poorly run clubs.

shmmeee

Yep, and if you'd bothered to read my posts before talking shite, I'd given him credit for the goals.

But that doesn't ditract from the fact that he isn't championship standard!!!

Now please remind us how many 1 on 1's he fucked up on Saturday, because you seem to have forgotten.
Or don't you want to discuss them?

Ill take a L2 striker if they score 20 in the Championship. What metric do you want to judge strikers by if not goals?

Couldn’t give a fuck if he shits himself three times a match and wears it like war paint if he’s scoring goals.

SkyblueTexan

Was at work and followed the game on and off as best as I could. Thought we looked fairly solid defensively and don’t recall any shots on target from Plymouth that looked too dangerous or difficult to deal with. Thought we should have been awarded a penalty for an obvious handball by Plymouth in their goalmouth. Overall I thought it was a quite dull match with both teams lacking a cutting edge. Think the players were a little tired after Saturday and was mildly surprised there were no rotations of the squad today. Thought the ball was out of play for our goal although I thought the same for the World Cup goal that passed VAR. So I think we need to look at the ball from a different angle. Glad for the 3 points at the end of the day.

clint van damme

Was at work and followed the game on and off as best as I could. Thought we looked fairly solid defensively and don’t recall any shots on target from Plymouth that looked too dangerous or difficult to deal with. Thought we should have been awarded a penalty for an obvious handball by Plymouth in their goalmouth. Overall I thought it was a quite dull match with both teams lacking a cutting edge. Think the players were a little tired after Saturday and was mildly surprised there were no rotations of the squad today. Thought the ball was out of play for our goal although I thought the same for the World Cup goal that passed VAR. So I think we need to look at the ball from a different angle. Glad for the 3 points at the end of the day.

There's a severe dearth of final 3rd quality in this league this season.

TomRad85

Ill take a L2 striker if they score 20 in the Championship. What metric do you want to judge strikers by if not goals?

Couldn’t give a fuck if he shits himself three times a match and wears it like war paint if he’s scoring goals.
Tbf it's not just the goals. His pace and movement are decent, he gives the opposition defence plenty to think about. He started slow but he's really improving and I'd suggest he'll continue to do so. Some have already made up their minds however.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

What about the opposition players right next to it?
Was right at the other end so I’ve absolutely no idea!
You’ll notice the one defender who puts his hand up and the keeper were everyone else followed their lead
I prefer to believe the independent unbiased professional with the flag than the Plymouth players who’ve conceded a goal and also think he’s more likely correct than them

Having said that if he’s had a bet on a 1-0 or any evidence is available to suggest his bias and corruption then id listen again

Id like to think I’d feel the same the other way around - I wouldn’t !!

Users who are viewing this thread