Coventry City offer new contracts to King, Westwood and Gunnarsson (1 Viewer)

bamalamafizzfazz

Well this is a pleasant surprise on a Thursday afternoon. First AT is offered the permanent job. I had expected this but with the City you never know. Following this he has straight away set the wheels in motion to keep the club's stars. OK they have only been offered contracts but I was under the impression that we were not able to offer contracts due to the transfer embargo which I suspected that if players couldn't be signed neither could a manager. I hope now this means that the embargo has been lifted if so things are looking up.
Can't wait for Saturday :D

Well this is a pleasant surprise on a Thursday afternoon. First AT is offered the permanent job. I had expected this but with the City you never know. Following this he has straight away set the wheels in motion to keep the club's stars. OK they have only been offered contracts but I was under the impression that we were not able to offer contracts due to the transfer embargo which I suspected that if players couldn't be signed neither could a manager. I hope now this means that the embargo has been lifted if so things are looking up.
Can't wait for Saturday :D

A transfer embargo stops transfers of players. It does not stop contract extensions or signing of new managers

Stoppercurtis

The two key signings for me or King & Thorn in that order. Gunner is okay but not been that great a journey man. Westy is not as good as he thinks he is. Lets put it like this he doesn't measure up to Oggy who was our last great goalkeeper.

Stopper

King, Westwood and Gunnarsson offered new deals
Marlon King, Keiren Westwood and Aron Gunnarsson were offered new contracts by Coventry City yesterday it has emerged.
The trio are all out of contract on July 1st and King and Westwood have been attracting attention from a number of clubs.
Speculation about whether the contracts are purely an appeasement for the supporters or a serious attempt to retain the services of the trio has already risen and we will all see in due course if this attempt is successful.

bamalamafizzfazz

A transfer embargo stops transfers of players. It does not stop contract extensions or signing of new managers

That contradicts what they said on the radio when it first came out about it. I think Kev Monks did an article on Cov Mad about it too.

That contradicts what they said on the radio when it first came out about it. I think Kev Monks did an article on Cov Mad about it too.

I did a little research but couldn't find a definative. I relay to this key quote regarding Porstmouths Embargo.

"We can confirm that there is an embargo on Portsmouth registering any new players."

It's officially a player registration embargo, so i'd have thought if the player was already registered and just extending it'd be ok? Maybe I'm wrong.:thinking about:

Last edited:

Sky Blue Sheepy

Gunner is okay but not been that great a journey man. Westy is not as good as he thinks he is. Lets put it like this he doesn't measure up to Oggy who was our last great goalkeeper.

Stopper
Have to agree, Westwood is a good shot stopper but falls down in other areas (and I just plain don't like the man.)

I think Thorn is a huge signing for a good feel vibe around the place - he's quickly become a fan fave (not difficult when you consider his predecessor) and has got us playing nice football.
King is almost as important IMO but, even if he were to go (which is still likely), Juke is really starting to show his worth and a goalscoring touch which he lacked under Hoof-royd.

It's rare I'll say this; but Bravo SISU! :claping hands:

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

I did a little research but couldn't find a definative. I relay to this key quote regarding Porstmouths Embargo.

"We can confirm that there is an embargo on Portsmouth registering any new players."

It's officially a player registration embargo, so i'd have thought if the player was already registered and just extending it'd be ok? Maybe I'm wrong.:thinking about:

Yeah, Portsmouth were given special dispensation. Bournemouth weren't even allowed to offer contracts, so I'd imagine that means we are out of the embargo? That or breaking it, tee hee.

I don't think hiring Thorn makes SISU suddenly ok. It undoes none of the bad stuff. But it's one thing that could have made things impossible for them if they'd got it wrong. I still pray that they get the hell out of town before the next season starts and we get someone who has a clue about football & some genuine passion for CCFC (not faked, like the tan). This is assuming they don't invest-which I guess we all agree is likely? We do all realise it's bosmans from L1/L2, right?

Tankie

Hi fellas,
This is great news..{ I Think!} But offering is one thing and being accepted is another, the appointment of A.T, might make a difference, but it will very much depend, on who offers the best deal, sadly I think King and Westwood will be gone, "Hope I'm Wrong!"

Regards...Tankie..

dojer

Has anyone else wondered who would actually want to sign Aron Gunnarsson? I mean he has been okay this season but he's not a terrific passer, tackler or goalscorer, which rules out a move to the premier league. Maybe if he left he would go abroad but if he stayed in England it would only be a sidewards move, albeit for more money

Disorganised1

The point is what other offers have they got ~ if there's no offers, just talk, then a contract is a contract. If they've got another offer, then things like family, money, and will I play come into it.

Jimthor

Has anyone else wondered who would actually want to sign Aron Gunnarsson? I mean he has been okay this season but he's not a terrific passer, tackler or goalscorer, which rules out a move to the premier league. Maybe if he left he would go abroad but if he stayed in England it would only be a sidewards move, albeit for more money

I think he's been linked to German clubs. If he did make any move to another English club, i think it'd only end up being to a club of a similar level to ours.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
If we sign all 3 it be great but doubt it, hopefully thorn can replace who ever leaves with better quality but it would be hard bar gunner i think.

Nonleagueherewecome

Hi fellas,
This is great news..{ I Think!} But offering is one thing and being accepted is another, the appointment of A.T, might make a difference, but it will very much depend, on who offers the best deal, sadly I think King and Westwood will be gone, "Hope I'm Wrong!"

Regards...Tankie..

Hi Tankie, good to see you, you brightened up the CT forum with your pearls of wisdom-welcome aboard! This is a better forum than that was anyway. Good vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread