Coventry city centre (2 Viewers)

Gazolba

another city centre project looks in trouble unfortunately:

Rethink on £300million redevelopment of Coventry city centre
The thing that stood out to me immediately regarding the artist's impression is that there is no protection from the rain or sun (joke).
One great thing about the old 1950's city design was virtually everywhere had covered walkways so you could walk almost all over town without getting wet.
We have the same problem here in Phoenix, the old city was built with overhangs to protect people from the summer sun, but every new building that goes up has no overhang at all.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But on the flip side a lot of the arcades and stuff feel too enclosed and uninviting.

There's also the idea that protection from the rain just results in window shopping. If there's a bit of rain you can still just stand outside and not be affected. No protection sees people nip into shops to get out of the rain and while in there they *might* buy something they otherwise wouldn't have, or at the very least will go into a cafe/coffee house etc.

There is also the idea that the sun makes people feel happier and livelier and people are more prone to spend money if they've got a bit of sun on their face due to the hormones it releases in the body.

I think there needs to be a mixed of both covered and uncovered, but personally I think indoor should be like the malls and stuff. Streets should be uncovered.

shmmeee

CCS always seemed a bit out of time to me. Would’ve been great twenty years ago, as Otis says leisure and IMO residential is the way forward for town now. Should be an area of the city the young and single can live alongside students, with some decent office space and leisure/food.

Gazolba

But on the flip side a lot of the arcades and stuff feel too enclosed and uninviting.

There's also the idea that protection from the rain just results in window shopping. If there's a bit of rain you can still just stand outside and not be affected. No protection sees people nip into shops to get out of the rain and while in there they *might* buy something they otherwise wouldn't have, or at the very least will go into a cafe/coffee house etc.

There is also the idea that the sun makes people feel happier and livelier and people are more prone to spend money if they've got a bit of sun on their face due to the hormones it releases in the body.

I think there needs to be a mixed of both covered and uncovered, but personally I think indoor should be like the malls and stuff. Streets should be uncovered.
I'm not sure if your theories are backed up by research but I'd spend much less time in town when it was raining if there was no cover.
I might 'nip into a shop' but I'd be no more likely to buy something. I'd just browse inside instead of outside.
And if rain was forecast, I'd avoid going into town at all if there was a lack of cover.

CJ_covblaze

hill83

No, the same as I don't meet my mates for coffee or wear a t shirt and a scarf.

I don't even know how to behave in a coffee shop. I have wore a t-shirt and scarf combo in the past though. It was my go to thing in jumpin jaks back in 2007.

Nick

Administrator
I don't even know how to behave in a coffee shop. I have wore a t-shirt and scarf combo in the past though. It was my go to thing in jumpin jaks back in 2007.

I reckon if somebody drops something you have to run over and act serious and offer help instead of cheering. It offends me that groups of male friends do that, they can tell you what a random coffee menu is but they would look at you gone out if you suggested a game of Killer Pool.

That sort of gear was reserved only for the top bar where the people who played Saturday football acted as if they were Premier League stars.

ajsccfc

I'm convinced that most of the options on a coffee menu are the same thing designed to trick trendy people into believing otherwise

giphy.gif

Johnnythespider

The rot set in with those ads years ago, when that bloke went into the kitchen and made the noise of a percolator while making a cup of instant

Nick

Administrator
Wetherspoons do coffee if somebody is driving , needs to wake up or is having a breakfast. There's no need for groups of males to go into places like that.

Back in the day you would get abused for ordering an alcopop. Can't imagine what would happen if you said "do you want to meet me in Pret?"

hill83

Wetherspoons do coffee if somebody is driving , needs to wake up or is having a breakfast. There's no need for groups of males to go into places like that.

Back in the day you would get abused for ordering an alcopop. Can't imagine what would happen if you said "do you want to meet me in Pret?"

Not even allowed a lager dash in my group ha ha

I get stick when I get on the wine.

Nick

Administrator
Not even allowed a lager dash in my group ha ha

I get stick when I get on the wine.

I bet the kids nowadays don't even say "haircut" or point out any new piece of clothing somebody has bought any more in case their mate does a vlog about how it hurt their feelings.

I despair. It's a good job I didn't have a son, he would be a right oddball in this day and age.

ajsccfc

We used to go to the Cov Supporters Club in Hillfields to play snooker on a Sunday and I couldn't stand the taste of proper alcohol so I'd have a peach Bacardi Breezer. Never heard a word though, the only sensible assumption to make is that I'm a double hard bastard without realising it.

Nick

Administrator
We used to go to the Cov Supporters Club in Hillfields to play snooker on a Sunday and I couldn't stand the taste of proper alcohol so I'd have a peach Bacardi Breezer. Never heard a word though, the only sensible assumption to make is that I'm a double hard bastard without realising it.

Maybe you evened it out by playing Snooker in Hillfields?

I still remember a bloke walking round a club in Nuneaton with a pint of milk and it worrying me. He must have been a psycho without a care in the world to wander about drinking milk. Mind games, the type you see in horror films.

ajsccfc

He will have ordered that not caring how long it could have been left out for too, that's a proper set of balls there.

Nick

Administrator
He will have ordered that not caring how long it could have been left out for too, that's a proper set of balls there.

Up there with somebody wearing a trenchcoat in a nightclub.

"hiding a gun mate, don't mess with them"

On the snooker note, I doubt the youth of today even know how to hold a cue properly. Probably think the rest is something for their phone to go on to take pictures.

ajsccfc

I'm not sure if I ever got a highest break past the 30s at most, but what I did like about snooker is that after playing, a pool table seems so small and easy you pull off audacious shots like it ain't no thang. I bet that's what it's like when Tiger Woods is roped into a game of crazy golf.

hill83

I'm not sure if I ever got a highest break past the 30s at most, but what I did like about snooker is that after playing, a pool table seems so small and easy you pull off audacious shots like it ain't no thang. I bet that's what it's like when Tiger Woods is roped into a game of crazy golf.

Always said that.

4369600808_a4c314f06b_b.jpg

Captain Dart

I'm not sure if your theories are backed up by research but I'd spend much less time in town when it was raining if there was no cover.
I might 'nip into a shop' but I'd be no more likely to buy something. I'd just browse inside instead of outside.
And if rain was forecast, I'd avoid going into town at all if there was a lack of cover.

Most of the block where covered walkways are being removed is an indoor shopping centre. I guess the shops want you in there rather than walking round outside.

clint van damme

Horrendous things. Almost had my eye taken out a number of times by people that can't handle them.

Went to Hong Kong last year. Absolutely lethal when it's raining, every ones got one.
Makes sense as it's too hot to wear a coat but when you're over 6 foot in a city of 5 foot 6" people carry brollies it's friģgin hazardous.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's why I said it's the flip side and why there needs to be a mix. There is of course the argument that people won't go in if it's raining if there's no cover, although frankly I have to admit I don't go into town if it's raining persistently unless it's absolutely necessary - I'll wait until it's brightened up. My argument was more based around showers/intermittent rain which is very common here.

I'm also like you in that I'd be very unlikely to buy anything while I nipped into a shop, just like I'm not tempted to buy stuff if I'm just using the loo, but if 1% of people did, that's still a sale they wouldn't have otherwise made.

Ideally I'd love there to be some form of awning that comes out in the rain but retracts in decent weather.

Otis

I fear for Basement Browns.

They have just put their prices up and quite a hike too.

Family pizza up from £13.50 to £15 and their medium pizza, up from £7.50 to £8.50. You get the choice of two toppings.

MOD Pizza is opening in March just round the corner. Their price is a set £7.87 and you can have as many toppings as you want and so many more choices of toppings. Their large pizza is less than £10.

Very bad move from BB's I think and now makes them more expensive than their nearest rival.

Could be the undoing of them in the city.

fernandopartridge

Family pizza up from £13.50 to £15 and their medium pizza, up from £7.50 to £8.50. You get the choice of two toppings.

MOD Pizza is opening in March just round the corner. Their price is a set £7.87 and you can have as many toppings as you want and so many more choices of toppings. Their large pizza is less than £10.

Very bad move from BB's I think and now makes them more expensive than their nearest rival.

It's still cheap. They'll be fine.

Si80

Basement Browns lunch time offers are great though. £6 small pizza and a drink. £7.50 large pizza and drink.

Otis

Basement Browns lunch time offers are great though. £6 small pizza and a drink. £7.50 large pizza and drink.
It was my daughter that went yesterday. She says they have stopped the offers too.

Double whammy

Users who are viewing this thread