Match Thread Coventry City - Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Tuesday 8th Aug (2 Viewers)

hutch1972

This team has just been put together , they need as much playing time as possible to gel into the unit required to get promotion.
If we play the same team and win tomorrow it would produce huge confidence for Saturday.
One or 2 changes maybe but not the complete team.

covcity4life

This team has just been put together , they need as much playing time as possible to gel into the unit required to get promotion.
If we play the same team and win tomorrow it would produce huge confidence for Saturday.

3 games in first week of season is a lil much though

they will gel fine with two saturday games i think

Astute

And if we pick up any injuries?

bawtryneal

Interesting that his twitter comment yesterday suggested he is here for the season.
The club suggested until Jan 1st but would be great to have tied him into the whole season.

CCFC_Charlie

Robins said in his post-match interview on iFollow that he wants to play as many of the team who played against Notts County as possible for cohesions sake but some are going to have to be rested to avoid aggravating niggles. I fancy this for the team -

O'Brien
Grimmer
Hyam
McDonald
Camwell
Doyle
Kelly
Vincenti
Nazon
Dev. Kelly Evans
Biamou

with RCC, Dio. KE, Pearson, Stevenson, Finn, Beavon and Ponticelli on the bench.

Seamus1

Interesting that his twitter comment yesterday suggested he is here for the season.
The club suggested until Jan 1st but would be great to have tied him into the whole season.

He has since corrected this to state that he is here until January

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd probably go for something like:

4-2-3-1
O'Brien
Grimmer
Hyam (Willis if 100% ready)
McDonald
Stokes
Stevenson
Doyle
Jones
Duckens (McNulty is a doubt)
Vincenti
Beavon

Heart tells me a 1-0 win but my head tells me Blackburn will have too much quality for us and we will lose on penalties, 1-1.

steve82

I'd like us to field a strong team, winning breeds confidence especially this early in a season and after all we can draw a big side in the next round and have a nice game to look forward too.

Astute

I'd like us to field a strong team, winning breeds confidence especially this early in a season and after all we can draw a big side in the next round and have a nice game to look forward too.
All of us want to see a strong team put out. But.....

We have more than 11 players. We need to rotate a bit. Otherwise when injuries and suspensions happen we will be bringing in rusty and players not match fit. We need to rest players with niggles/bruising when we can. We have more than 11 capable players.

It would be nice to have a cup run. But lets be realistic. We won't win it. I would be happy to win the first two rounds and go out in the 3rd round to a big club after putting in a good performance. I won't even mind going out before then if we play well against a team in a higher division. It is going to be a long, hard and demanding season as it is. Getting promotion is top priority. And from what we have seen so far we have a good chance.

steve82

All of us want to see a strong team put out. But.....

We have more than 11 players. We need to rotate a bit. Otherwise when injuries and suspensions happen we will be bringing in rusty and players not match fit. We need to rest players with niggles/bruising when we can. We have more than 11 capable players.

It would be nice to have a cup run. But lets be realistic. We won't win it. I would be happy to win the first two rounds and go out in the 3rd round to a big club after putting in a good performance. I won't even mind going out before then if we play well against a team in a higher division. It is going to be a long, hard and demanding season as it is. Getting promotion is top priority. And from what we have seen so far we have a good chance.

Yeah I agree we will never win it but I'd like a good early run ending with a game against a big club if anything for the kids.

Kids see the big named clubs on sky sports, BT sport and let's be honest it's been a while since we've had a glamour tie so one for the kids would be nice to see, granted some of the big names won't play but the talk of a Utd, City, Liverpool or Leeds and Newcastle who would sell out there allocations coming to the Ricoh would create a early buzz while reigning further interest in the fan base in the city of the back of a Wembley final not too long ago.

It keeps that next generation of fans interested a little and part time fans

On the rotation side of this I agree to a degree, consistency is more key for me as partnerships and understanding's are formed
Also the U23 games will be starting up again soon so all will get that chance to play at some point but there's not many I'd say would be a first team starters that are currently "fit" that are not starting already for games in August.

Astute

Yeah I agree we will never win it but I'd like a good early run ending with a game against a big club if anything for the kids.

Kids see the big named clubs on sky sports, BT sport and let's be honest it's been a while since we've had a glamour tie so one for the kids would be nice to see, granted some of the big names won't play but the talk of a Utd, City, Liverpool or Leeds and Newcastle who would sell out there allocations coming to the Ricoh would create a early buzz while reigning further interest in the fan base in the city of the back of a Wembley final not too long ago.

It keeps that next generation of fans interested a little and part time fans

On the rotation side of this I agree to a degree, consistency is more key for me as partnerships and understanding's are formed
Also the U23 games will be starting up again soon so all will get that chance to play at some point but there's not many I'd say would be a first team starters that are currently "fit" that are not starting already for games in August.
I can't disagree. Like I said I would like a good draw in the 3rd round. But we have just covered half a mile of a marathon.

We could go even further than the 3rd round and only get other lower down clubs. And we still have to play in two other cups as well as another 45 league games. I just don't want us to have a good season where we have 3 cup runs and stay near the top of the table just to fall away at the end of the season.

Great_Expectations

I'm missing tonight as I stupidly double booked myself and I can't really amend it now.

I think Blackburn will be too strong (if TM plays his best team) but strangely enough I am not too bothered. Obviously I want to win, but this season the focus has to be on the league. I don't want to risk any of our better players getting injured in a competition we have no chance to progress in (at least in the latter stages).

steve82

I'm missing tonight as I stupidly double booked myself and I can't really amend it now.

I think Blackburn will be too strong (if TM plays his best team) but strangely enough I am not too bothered. Obviously I want to win, but this season the focus has to be on the league. I don't want to risk any of our better players getting injured in a competition we have no chance to progress in (at least in the latter stages).

On paper they are, Danny Graham, Peter Whittingham, Charlie Mulgrew, Bradley Dack, Dominic Samuel....

Can see a tight game

Esoterica

It's a shame it's Mowbray really because I couldn't care less about this cup but really want to win this game because of him. So I'd like a strong team out otherwise I'd have been happy for all the fringe players to have a go.

steve82

I can see us getting a bit of a hiding :( 3 or 4 nil.

Hope I'm wrong though.

This is what the stats for the last 10 seasons are, I'd say it favours us progressing... just!

CCFC have won 4 first round games, 3 of those were home games. Only losing once at the Ricoh in 10 seasons.
While we've been knocked out 6 times at the first attempt all arguably away games with the only home game v Cardiff at Sixfields.

16/17 H Portsmouth won 3-2 aet
15/16 A Rochdale drew 1-1 (lost on pens)
14/15 H Cardiff lost 1-2
13/14 A Leyton Orient lost 3-2
12/13 A Dag & Red won 1-0
11/12 A Bury lost 3-1
10/11 A Morecambe lost 2-0
09/10 H Hartlepool lost 0-1 aet
08/09 H Aldershot won 3-1
07/08 H Notts county won 3-0

We've a 75% win rate at the Ricoh in the first round

Last edited:

smileycov

Facebook User
Last season, Lincoln got to 1/4 final in fa cup, semi final in fa trophy and won promotion. Squad wasn't as big as ours. I just don't buy this we need to concentrate on the league shit!! Winning is s habit that breeds confidence, season has just started play 8/9 of the same side let's get consistency going. Make teams think twice about coming to the Ricoh and "going for it"

covcity4life

hopefully the weather improves

had not thought about losing till this morning! hope tony plays a weakened side but after southend he might just want a win on the books

Astute

Last season, Lincoln got to 1/4 final in fa cup, semi final in fa trophy and won promotion. Squad wasn't as big as ours. I just don't buy this we need to concentrate on the league shit!! Winning is s habit that breeds confidence, season has just started play 8/9 of the same side let's get consistency going. Make teams think twice about coming to the Ricoh and "going for it"
Lincoln were playing against semi pro's at times. Their budget was massive for where they were. And they put a good squad together with it. They would struggle to do the same this season.

smileycov

Facebook User
Lincoln were playing against semi pro's at times. Their budget was massive for where they were. And they put a good squad together with it. They would struggle to do the same this season.
Your missing the point, the squad wasn't as big as ours yet they competed in 3 competitions. Not just concentrated on the league. Plus I think you will find only 2 or 3 sides are non professional in that league

Astute

Your missing the point, the squad wasn't as big as ours yet they competed in 3 competitions. Not just concentrated on the league. Plus I think you will find only 2 or 3 sides are non professional in that league
I'm not missing any point.

Not all non league players playing for full time clubs are full time themselves.

You can be either lucky or unlucky with injuries. We have a habit of being unlucky. Yes I would love a good cup run. But I also don't want any influential players getting injured or making a slight injury worse chasing a cup run in a competition we won't win.

steve82

My team for tonight
---------------O'Brien----------------
Grimmer--Hyam---McDonald----Stokes
----------Doyle(c)----Kelly-----------
-----JJ-------Vincenti------Nazon-----
---------------Beavon----------------

Subs: RCC, Pearson, DKE, Stevenson, DKE, Biamou, Ponticelli.

Based on Willis still being out and McNulty waiting for the tooth fairy I'd only make one enforced change with Nazon coming in to play on the left with Vincenti using his height and passing range in the 10 role in McNulty's absence. Vincenti set JJ on his way Saturday for his 1st bringing the ball down, and laying it off from a big punt from O'Brien so could play the role well.

fernandopartridge

I know Doyle is a very fit footballer, but he is 36, so I'd be tempted to rest him and give Stevenson a game. One or both of the Kelly Evans brothers too and a run out for Ponticelli.

Irish Sky Blue

I don't like playing weakened teams. It is the mentality that people like Eddie Howe had last season when he said how he respected the FA Cup but made 11 changes from the previous league game and promptly lost to lower league opposition. They then went on to lose the next 4 or 5 league games. A few seasons ago, Bradford got promotion from this division after reaching the League Cup Final and after putting out Villa in the two legged semi. I think he should play the best team he can ad go as far as we can.

Garryb80

We should protect any players carrying injuries, Stokes as an example, but generally play the strongest side available. With such potential attacking options we can use this opportunity to try them. We saw last season with Beavon that he was overplayed so give him a break and play Biamou and Nazon.

Reactions: vow

Users who are viewing this thread