Match Thread Coventry City - Birmingham City Match Thread - Friday 8th Dec (4 Viewers)

stupot07

Missed the game as was out. Did Simms have a shot on target? Bbc says he planted a header straight at Ruddy but I had a bet builder with 365 and they said he didn't have a shot on target.

Only one that let me down
It was Wright with the header. No he didn't really get any chances, was more of a foil for Wright, O'Hare and Saka.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Missed the game as was out. Did Simms have a shot on target? Bbc says he planted a header straight at Ruddy but I had a bet builder with 365 and they said he didn't have a shot on target.

Only one that let me down

Looked at highlights this morning, and there was a near post scramble in the first half that I thought he got a toe to that Ruddy saved easily, but would argue it was a shot on target, Have a look - might be worth an argument (this is from memory, so don't shoot the messenger!)

larry_david

Looked at highlights this morning, and there was a near post scramble in the first half that I thought he got a toe to that Ruddy saved easily, but would argue it was a shot on target, Have a look - might be worth an argument (this is from memory, so don't shoot the messenger!)
Just seen this one back. Hard to tell really,nevermind

skybluegod

I thought on the whole the ref was excellent tonight, only decisions he got wrong were not awarding us a penalty for handball and not giving a straight red card for the foul on Simms.

Bidwell should have been booked first half as I said earlier in the thread.

And it wasn't a red card, understand why some think it might be but when you consider all the elements of DOGSO it wouldn't be given by any competent ref, good call.

It was a handball but the ref is the other side of it so impossible to give, so unless we want referees to start guessing then I think it's a forgiveable let off!

MalcSB

And it wasn't a red card, understand why some think it might be but when you consider all the elements of DOGSO it wouldn't be given by any competent ref, good call.

It was a handball but the ref is the other side of it so impossible to give, so unless we want referees to start guessing then I think it's a forgiveable let off!
What are linesmen for?

Dickie

The 11 was facing the linesman on the far side though. He should have given it surely.

Cally Fedora

Agree Allen man of the match. There was a world class save from Collins towards the end as well watching it back on tv. Van Ewijk’s pace is a real asset. Wrights work rate was top notch. By far the most encouraging display of the season all round.

skybluegod

What are linesmen for?

The linesmen would have to be have had a very good view and be totally sure, I can't picture where he or other players are in relation to the incident. If he saw it then of course he should give it, but being a lino is not an easy job. Very easy to say what are they for, but with officiating you can't just guess with such big calls.

MalcSB

There's no way the ref or a linesman could give the handball with any confidence. Marginal call even with VAR. Your above criticisms of the officials are completely unreasonable.
I’m sorry, that was one of the clearest handballs I have ever seen. I was pretty much directly in line with it and behind the linesman. The arm was extended away from the body and moved toward the ball before making contact. Everybody around me agreed it was an absolutely clear handball.

Last edited:

MalcSB

The linesmen would have to be have had a very good view and be totally sure, I can't picture where he or other players are in relation to the incident. If he saw it then of course he should give it, but being a lino is not an easy job. Very easy to say what are they for, but with officiating you can't just guess with such big calls.
I’m sorry, that was one of the clearest handballs I have ever seen. I was pretty much directly in line with it and behind the linesman. The arm was extended away from the body and moved toward the ball before making contact. Everybody around me agreed it was an absolutely clear handball. I would have expected a penalty to be given if that had been our own player in our own box

Ricketts

There was one given against Sheaf when he was through on goal, and a third one against us later one. in my view, all three were accidental but similar. Either they all were, or all weren’t, but please be consistent.

MalcSB

There was one given against Sheaf when he was through on goal, and a third one against us later one. in my view, all three were accidental but similar. Either they all were, or all weren’t, but please be consistent.
Googled to confirm what I thought

”Even if accidental, and even if it doesn't directly prevent a goal-scoring opportunity, when the ball strikes a player's arm and the defender's body has been made "unnaturally bigger" it's a handball. 'Intent' doesn't matter.”

David O'Day

he's looking right at it and it was pretty obvious

CCFCSteve

Also just had a flick through the match. Sure it’s probably been mentioned elsewhere but a couple of great bits of distribution from Collins, one which started Ohares second goal (quick long throw) and the long ball where simms got pulled down. There was some too causal play around the back as well but he showed the benefit of good, quick distribution

Nuskyblue

Thought we made harder work of that than we needed to, 2-0 massively flattered them

as for that lot, Nine games in to their experiment and Rooney had 23,000 opposition fans chanting his name as a pisstake, surely that’s an untenable position already
1000006575.png disastrous appointment

David O'Day

Also just had a flick through the match. Sure it’s probably been mentioned elsewhere but a couple of great bits of distribution from Collins, one which started Ohares second goal (quick long throw) and the long ball where simms got pulled down. There was some too causal play around the back as well but he showed the benefit of good, quick distribution
Thanks Ben Wilson for some great memories but Collins is a better keeper and we are a better team with him in nets

Sky Blue Harry H

Thanks Ben Wilson for some great memories but Collins is a better keeper and we are a better team with him in nets
Collins looks very good, but having the 'Golden Gloves' winner from last season as back up is great imo. Also (and having met the guy) he seems a positive character around the dressing room (although I suspect both him and C O'H are borderline ADHD!)

Grendel

Just watched Robins interview on Sky after the game . If anybody watches that and still thinks he is the wrong man for the job I seriously worry for them . He speaks with clarity , always gives an honest concise opinion of the game and even though he comes across as quite dour you can see how pleased he is for O’Hare and many of the others for their performances tonight

Robins has made several mistakes this season.

The obsession to dispose of Bidwell now looks ridiculous

He left Kitching on the bench for ages as I suspect he was not looking great in the original formation

Palmer is just not up to it but was always selected

The forwards still have a lot to prove

Users who are viewing this thread