Match Thread Coventry City at Gillingham Match Thread - Saturday 25th Aug (2 Viewers)

harvey098

——————Burge ————-
Either RB —Willis — Hyam — either LB
—————— Ogogo—————
Thomas —- bayliss — Andreu — Shipley
——————— JCH

harvey098

Needing 2 holding midfielders is a myth. Makelele did ok on his own (I’m not saying ogogo is as good as makelele) but we need to get more players further up the pitch.

Reactions: vow

shmmeee

Can't decide on a front 4 at all.

Thinking Id like to get as close to two tricky wingers, with a little large combo up front, so probably:

Thomas Doyle Ogogo Allassani
JCH Ponticelli/Hiwula

That's as close to round pegs round holes as I can do.

speedie87

Holding midfielders aren’t needed at this level 2 box to box midefielders would be much more effective

SkyBlueCRJ

That's not a bad selection but I really don't like to see Bayliss stuck out wide, the problem is what team do you need to select to accommodate that?

Until Jones comes back I can't see who else could play there though. Unless we throw Allassani into the mix but I'm not sure whether it would be too soon...

Sky Blue Harry H

Needing 2 holding midfielders is a myth. Makelele did ok on his own (I’m not saying ogogo is as good as makelele) but we need to get more players further up the pitch.

It's a myth, unless your front players aren't holding the ball up a bit, otherwise it will keep coming back at you - then you do need that protection. Agree that the alternative e.g. Bayliss being there and dragging the team forward is the only other way to create attacks if it isn't sticking with the forwards. Look after the ball !

Magwitch

Personally, I would like to see a pairing of Kelly and Ogogo. Think that might work well.
Kelly seems to be the missing ingredient, was vital in our boost of form at the back end of last season, wtf is wrong with him ?

Hobo

No but you do need players that can hold the ball up and not squander possession easily. You also still need more than one player who can put his foot in and win the ball when you are out of possession. Otherwise your midfield may as well be four static dustbins.

Nick

Administrator
Looking forward to seeing if there's a reaction today with both the lineup and from the players.

Otis

Looking forward to seeing if there's a reaction today with both the lineup and from the players.
If there isn't a reaction something is clearly wrong.

They should all have their arses kicked and we should see a completely different level of performance today.

Nick

Administrator

Sterling not in the squad at all, neither is Ogogo.

Looks like Bayliss central alongside Doyle with Thomas right and Shipley left.

Burge back in too.

Good to see Allassani on the bench, hopefully gets on for a bit. A very attacking bench!

PVA

Pleased to see Burge and Grimmer back.

Presumably Ogogo is injured, he'll be a big miss.

Nick

Administrator
The central midfield does worry me a bit, hopefully Doyle will coach Bayliss through the game so he doesn't leave him in the shit like he did with Ogogo against Oxford.

Greggs

Sterling not in the squad at all, neither is Ogogo.

Looks like Bayliss central alongside Doyle with Thomas right and Shipley left.

Burge back in too.

Good to see Allassani on the bench, hopefully gets on for a bit. A very attacking bench!

Nice side, bit weaker than last season. Robins has lots of questions to answer. shame he never gets asked them!

Sky Blue Harry H

Happy (at the moment!) with the selection. One worry is their centre forward is 6' 5" Tom Eaves (we were linked with him a year or two back). I would have liked Tom Davies up against him.

Pete in Portugal

Sticking with 4-2-3-1 means Robins thinks JCH is a good target player. He must've changed his game a lot since I last saw him play................... If not he'll be isolated.

Nick

Administrator
Sticking with 4-2-3-1 means Robins thinks JCH is a good target player. He must've changed his game a lot since I last saw him play................... If not he'll be isolated.

Will be able to tell pretty soon after kickoff if we just start hoofing it.

Sky Blue Harry H

There is still a loan market open, I suggest we seriously consider it.

Think there may be a couple of loans in to cover Biamou + ?. Interesting listening to a phone in last night when someone was saying all the 'out of contract' players are left waiting at the moment, as clubs seek loan players, but when the window ends (on 31st), then their value soars (in terms of wages) as clubs are only left with them as an option when injuries affect their squad.

Sky Blue Harry H

Hoping with my Sky Blue tinted specs that we are positive today and put in a good performance, but 30 odd minutes from kick off I have a stomach of trepidatious mush.

Mr Panda

ah I dont have a profile, is it from today? Maybe he's gone back to play for them?

Yeah from 40 minutes ago.

I hope not it's not like that deal we had with Arsenal for Akpom who seemed to disappear every few weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread