Match Thread Coventry City at Gillingham Match Thread - Saturday 25th Aug (2 Viewers)

Londonccfcfan

Noooooo! It's seriously not, mate. How can it be a relegation 6 pointer this early into the season?

By that logic, if we win on Saturday the next game after that may well be a play-off 6 pointer.

What planet you on, we are already in a relegation battle. That’s my opinion. As I don’t think this squad is good enough in every department.

Recruitment terrible.
No system.
No strikers or goals in team.

We are are absolute dog shit.

Pre season was shocking. Start to season has been realisation how bad things are.

Scunthorpe, Oxford, Gillingham, Rochdale , so 3 of next 3 we play are relegation favourites. Along with Accrington and Wycombe.

Just don’t see where we will get 50/52 points to stay up. Don’t forget this division 4 go down.

In Oxford We made the worst team in the division look cohesive.

I hope there’s 4 worse teams than us in this division.

At best we will finish bottom third 16th, that’s if we find a striker or two who can get us 10/15 goals.

Marty

We have to play four four fucking two.

Get back to basics, Burge back in between the sticks. Doyle dropped. Bakayoko can sulk at home for the weekend.

Burge,
Grimmer, Willis, Hyam, Mason,
Thomas, Ogogo, Bayliss, Shipley
Hiwula, JCH

Covstu

We have to play four four fucking two.

Get back to basics, Burge back in between the sticks. Doyle dropped. Bakayoko can sulk at home for the weekend.

Burge,
Grimmer, Willis, Hyam, Mason,
Thomas, Ogogo, Bayliss, Shipley
Hiwula, JCH
Yep I would go with something like this, we need two up,front not this false no 9 shite. I don’t think this is a must win, a draw will be a decent result. Take a 1-1

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Is it me ? I know I’m old school but regards all these systems, 3-5-2, 3-4-2-1, 5-2-2-1 bullshit, and it is bullshit. Why not revert back to the old 2 fullbacks, 3 halfbacks an 5 forwards. Play two out and out wingers backed up by two good tough fullbacks, a hairy arsed centre half backed by a tough guy number 6 and a more cultured number 4, as said 2 wingers one right footed, one left footed, giving us pace and width which would pin opposition back, a schemer at number 10, a big ugly centre-forward and a goal scoring number 8. Simple team, simple tactics and let the opposition worry about you.
Are yes the good old days, so it's 2 3 5 then !

The trouble is, we don't have the players good enough to play any system at the moment.

HerneBayGaz

Don't care who plays.

It can't be worse then Blackpool

And I will be home by 5:30 pm unlike Tuesday when I got home at 5:30 am. And £100 lighter in my pocket.

If only the team could put as much effort in as us fans...

johnwillomagic

Ha i'll try again

Burge GK
Willis RB
Davies CB
Hyam CB
Brown LB
Doyle DCM
Andreau ACM
Bayliss RM
Thomas LM
JCH ST
Hiwula ST

Subs: LOB, Grimmer, Sterling, Ogogo, Alessani, Shipley, Bakayoko

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Don't care who plays.

It can't be worse then Blackpool

And I will be home by 5:30 pm unlike Tuesday when I got home at 5:30 am. And £100 lighter in my pocket.

If only the team could put as much effort in as us fans...
Respect to you and all the fans who go to the away games and pay out all that money to watch inept performances like that. :emoji_thumbsup:

Otis

What planet you on, we are already in a relegation battle. That’s my opinion. As I don’t think this squad is good enough in every department.

Recruitment terrible.
No system.

Pre season was shocking. Start to season has been realisation how bad things are.

Scunthorpe, Oxford, Gillingham, Rochdale , so 3 of next 3 we play are relegation favourites. Along with Accrington and Wycombe.

Just don’t see where we will get 50/52 points to stay up. Don’t forget this division 4 go down.

At best we will finish bottom third 16th, that’s if we find a striker or two who can get us 10/15 goals.
I'm on planet Earth.

You can't be in a relegation 6 pointer after only 7 games of the season. That's just daft.

Reactions: JWC

Gint11

Recruitment terrible.
No system.

I bet you are the sort of fan who acts like this in defeats and win 3/4 on the bounce you’re thinking Champions league.

You’ve got valid points but it’s only 4 games...let’s see what unfolds. Go and have a big poo

Paxman II

Draw the obvious result here. I'm hoping though we get our shit together and show our potential with a good solid win and a couple of goals from open play.
While it is only August the shaping of our intent this season relies on picking up points away from home.

pusbccfc

I'd drop Ogogo over Doyle. Although Doyle has never been a good passer of the ball, Ogogo makes him look like peak Pirlo or Xavi Alonso.

Otis

Thought Ogogo was supposed to be one of the best acquisitions of the summer.

Could it not just be he's had a couple of bad games? I thought he was very good against Scunthorpe.

Doyle seems to be the one that worries fans more and I think that is just down to his age and his slowing down a little.

pusbccfc

Could it not just be he's had a couple of bad games? I thought he was very good against Scunthorpe.

Doyle seems to be the one that worries fans more and I think that is just down to his age and his slowing down a little.

I think he's got an awful lot to offer but there's no doubting that his distribution of the ball is weak. He needs to be playing alongside a ball playing midfielder.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Lot of knee jerk panicking in here. 4 games in... remember Barnsley in league one a few years back? Ended up getting promoted, I’m sure they were bottom 4 until January.

Plymouth last season were bottom and went on a mad winning streak and ended up near the play offs

I’m not saying we’re going to get promoted, but to panic this early is silly. Wait 10-15 games, if we still haven’t scored any goals, then we worry. But at least let’s get the season up and running first

clint van damme

Lot of knee jerk panicking in here. 4 games in... remember Barnsley in league one a few years back? Ended up getting promoted, I’m sure they were bottom 4 until January.

Plymouth last season were bottom and went on a mad winning streak and ended up near the play offs

I’m not saying we’re going to get promoted, but to panic this early is silly. Wait 10-15 games, if we still haven’t scored any goals, then we worry. But at least let’s get the season up and running first

last 2 seasons we spent in this division the eventual winners both started poorly so to some extent you're right.
But I wouldn't say the panic is silly. Just need to temper it with a bit considering as you say, we're only 4 games in.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

last 2 seasons we spent in this division the eventual winners both started poorly so to some extent you're right.
But I wouldn't say the panic is silly. Just need to temper it with a bit considering as you say, we're only 4 games in.
Don’t get me wrong I’m concerned that our goalkeeper is continuing to make the same mistakes he made last season, and we seem like strangers to each other.

I also think that we’ve signed too many players. Once they get used to each other I’ve no doubt we’ll be more creative. Going back a few years ago, remember Sunderland under Niall Quinn and then Roy Keane in the championship. They weare awful and we’re bottom in October I think? They pissed the league in the end

SkyBlueCRJ

I don't think him performances are necessarily to do with him slowing down, although I'm sure his days are numbered. But initially I think it's more pointed towards the fact that he's just coming up against a better opposition and can't keep up with the pace of a higher division.

Ricketts

Match report from the Sunderland game from my Gillingham mate....

We won the first 3 minutes last night.

Straight from the restart they equalised. By 20 minutes they'd had 3 shots and were 3-1 up. After that it was very even game and if never has the phrase "we've played worse than that and won" been more appropriate.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Personally, I would like to see a pairing of Kelly and Ogogo. Think that might work well.

Agree, away from home. At home I'd prefer Ogogo and Bayliss as we need to take the bull by the horns a bit more, then bring Doyle on near the end if we're winning to close games out.

Ashdown

The squad of players is good enough to stay up, just depends what's done with them.
That's been said so many times in the past. I don't know if they are or are not, the goalkeepers are terrible, the defence is bang average, the midfield looks suspect or is bypassed anyway and the strike force so far has lacked all cohesion and not scored from open play. They should have though, they had good chances against both Scunny and Plymouth. Our spine at the moment is O'Brien, Willis, Doyle and Biamou I would suggest and for different reasons they are all flawed.

Nick

Administrator
That's been said so many times in the past. I don't know if they are or are not, the goalkeepers are terrible, the defence is bang average, the midfield looks suspect or is bypassed anyway and the strike force so far has lacked all cohesion and not scored from open play. They should have though, they had good chances against both Scunny and Plymouth. Our spine at the moment is O'Brien, Willis, Doyle and Biamou I would suggest and for different reasons they are all flawed.

That's because I can see the system clearly doesn't work or suit the players we have.

Otis

That's because I can see the system clearly doesn't work or suit the players we have.
Yup. We are judging players based on a failing system.

At least give players a chance to shine in their natural positions and to their strengths.

Reactions: vow

SkyBlueCRJ

Obviously this depends on who's fit but if all names on the team sheet are fit then:
---Burge---
Grimmer---Willis---Hyam---Mason
Bayliss---Ogogo---Kelly---Thomas
---JCH------Hiwula---

Nick

Administrator
Yup. We are judging players based on a failing system.

At least give players a chance to shine in their natural positions and to their strengths.

It's like when people moan about Bakayoko not winning headers. It was obvious within minutes he isn't a target man and it's not his strength because he needs it to feet or a workable height yet every time we aimlessly punt it forward it's his fault.

May as well moan that Ponticelli isn't scoring 50 yard screamers or winning headers from corners to score when that clearly isn't his game either. His game is finishing, so he needs to be put through on goal or get the ball at his feet in and around the area to get a shot off.

Same as at Oxford where our midfield got overrun all game.

Users who are viewing this thread