Cov Rugby 2023 - 2024 (4 Viewers)

oldfiver

oscillatewildly

Gap in our kissball fixture programme tomorrow - Let's get up BPA!
Always good to see some Yorkshire face getting rubbed in the er, synthetic.

Covkid1968#

3400 plus turned up - for a neither here nor there level two game.
Pretty impressive when you look at the rest of the league.
Onwards and upwards.
On a par with Newcastle in the Premiership!!

Covkid1968#

Well, we used to be.
And will be again.
Would be great to get back up there. Genuinely think we are on the road to being great again. Feels like 10k plus would be achievable if we ever made it!!

Covkid1968#

Are the stadium expansion plans still in place?
Not sure… there are some posters who def know their stuff… I’m not one of them 😎would be great if they could develop on any of the 3 remaining sides that need it. Over to you @I_Saw_Shaw_Score

oldfiver

Read #36 above for last update
From the Rugby Club

Site development
Plans are well advanced and nearly all surveys completed to enable full planning application to be submitted. Hurdles remain, but intent is for a new stand and spectator facilities taking ground capacity to around 7,000. Current minimum requirement for entry into the Premiership is 10,000 (compared to the EFL's 5,000 for a much better supported sport, that is ridiculous and clearly ring fencing by another device). We expect the 10,000 to be reduced due to public pressure.
From the Rugby Club

RFU
The RFU and PRL (Premiership clubs) want to restructure the top two tiers of English rugby as 'Premiership 1 and Premiership 2' with the latter being a franchise model for which anyone can apply, without having to win their way there by promotion through the leagues below. Failed clubs such as Wasps could therefore re-enter directly without having to start at the bottom of the pyramid (current rules) and pay off their debts. Also clubs would have to apply to be part of Prem 2: why should we have to apply to enter a league we are already in? Suspicion is that this is really a way of the Championship clubs becoming simply hosts to the Premiership 'A' teams, meaning we would lose our identity. Hence the statement, which I had sent to you in full previously.

oscillatewildly

From the Rugby Club

Site development
Plans are well advanced and nearly all surveys completed to enable full planning application to be submitted. Hurdles remain, but intent is for a new stand and spectator facilities taking ground capacity to around 7,000. Current minimum requirement for entry into the Premiership is 10,000 (compared to the EFL's 5,000 for a much better supported sport, that is ridiculous and clearly ring fencing by another device). We expect the 10,000 to be reduced due to public pressure.

From the Rugby Club

RFU
The RFU and PRL (Premiership clubs) want to restructure the top two tiers of English rugby as 'Premiership 1 and Premiership 2' with the latter being a franchise model for which anyone can apply, without having to win their way there by promotion through the leagues below. Failed clubs such as Wasps could therefore re-enter directly without having to start at the bottom of the pyramid (current rules) and pay off their debts. Also clubs would have to apply to be part of Prem 2: why should we have to apply to enter a league we are already in? Suspicion is that this is really a way of the Championship clubs becoming simply hosts to the Premiership 'A' teams, meaning we would lose our identity. Hence the statement, which I had sent to you in full previously.
Sometimes the word 'bugger' in the term, 'rugger bugger', needs to be a lot stronger.

Covkid1968#

From the Rugby Club

Site development

From the Rugby Club

RFU
Just got my head around to reading this…it’s no wonder the prem 2 was rejected by Champ clubs. Outrageous arrogance to set out that as a business model. It’s no wonder the sport is in a complete shambles.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just got my head around to reading this…it’s no wonder the prem 2 was rejected by Champ clubs. Outrageous arrogance to set out that as a business model. It’s no wonder the sport is in a complete shambles.
Well in this country it’s the sport that allowed itself to get split in two rather than accept professionalism. Then accepted professionalism later on anyway.

ovduk78

Well in this country it’s the sport that allowed itself to get split in two rather than accept professionalism. Then accepted professionalism later on anyway.
Before the 2 codes split up were they basically both playing the same game or was Rugby League always 13 players with different rules? I don't watch Union but enjoy watching the odd League game

Brighton Sky Blue

Before the 2 codes split up were they basically both playing the same game or was Rugby League always 13 players with different rules? I don't watch Union but enjoy watching the odd League game
They started out playing the same rules and then gradually changed them over time.

Covkid1968#

They started out playing the same rules and then gradually changed them over time.
I wonder if that Can ever be reversed? Some of those RL clubs up north are huge. I’m a bit of a Saint Helens fan and the gate numbers are decent.

Kneeza

The 'schism' occured, in a hotel in Huddersfield, in 1895 due to the dispute regarding broken time payments. The players of the northern clubs involved couldn't carry on losing work/pay to play, and they, the clubs, voted to pay their players. Obviously the rich southern clubs and RFU were having none of it.
Nothing changes.
Eventually the Northern Union, as it was called, brought in a more streamlined version of the game, bit by bit, shedding two back-row forwards, and de-powering the scrummage etc, etc.
Two games with a rather different set of rules, but similar names.
I enjoy them both, and always have done.

Ashdown

I understand.

Basically rugby in this country is run by the RFU to self serve themselves and is largely controlled by the Premier Players Union.
It's a closed shop and they want to keep it that way
Disgusting money grabbing morons

bigfatronssba

Must be a Coventry thing to have unmatched team spirit at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread