Country Pubs (3 Viewers)

Rugby Sky Blue

I have always liked the Half Moon in Wolston. Really cosey bit with large TV for the football.

Kneeza

I have always liked the Half Moon in Wolston. Really cosey bit with large TV for the football.
Haven't been in for years, but yes, was a nice pub back then. My cousin and her husband used to live in the cottage next door but one. Very handy that.
They now live in the Old Post Office a couple of doors down from the Rose & Crown. Boozy bleeders! 😄

NorthernWisdom

Haven't been in for years, but yes, was a nice pub back then. My cousin and her husband used to live in the cottage next door but one. Very handy that.
They now live in the Old Post Office a couple of doors down from the Rose & Crown. Boozy bleeders! 😄
It's had about 46 different landords in the past five or six years, so God knows what it's like atm!

AOM

Red Lion in Hunningham is a nice country pub. Great garden in the summer

NorthernWisdom

Red Lion in Hunningham is a nice country pub. Great garden in the summer
I'll refuse to use them as long as they automatically add on their 10% service charge, and say they'll take it off if you tell them what was wrong. We're not America, and the price of their food is enough they can afford to pay their staff a fair wage, and tips are just for good service.

AOM

I'll refuse to use them as long as they automatically add on their 10% service charge, and say they'll take it off if you tell them what was wrong. We're not America, and the price of their food is enough they can afford to pay their staff a fair wage, and tips are just for good service.

Wow, I had no idea they do that! Don't think I'd ever noticed when it's just a few pints, but that is a sneaky practice

NorthernWisdom

Kneeza

We used to use the Plough at Eathorpe much more than the Red Lion.
A mate's parents ran it for years before retiring and it being taken over by a certain well known local... which I'm sure many will know of.

Another favourite was the Woodhouse. Another mate used to do the music for the Saturday night dinner dances. Quite handy, giving me access to the swimming pool for late night dips with the staff after they'd finished.
Some very happy endings there 😉

NorthernWisdom

We used to use the Plough at Eathorpe much more than the Red Lion.
A mate's parents ran it for years before retiring and it being taken over by a certain well known local... which I'm sure many will know of.

Another favourite was the Woodhouse. Another mate used to do the music for the Saturday night dinner dances. Quite handy, giving me access to the swimming pool for late night dips with the staff after they'd finished.
Some very happy endings there 😉
Plough is not bad now, but is, bizarrely, Mexican food(!) Has been taken over by the village. Do you mean the singer bloke at the Plough?

Woodhouse had to be demolished because a neighbour moved in and complained about the noise. They actually look like they'll be replacing the building, finally, but Christ knows what it'll be used for.

Kneeza

Plough is not bad now, but is, bizarrely, Mexican food(!) Has been taken over by the village. Do you mean the singer bloke at the Plough?

Woodhouse had to be demolished because a neighbour moved in and complained about the noise. They actually look like they'll be replacing the building, finally, but Christ knows what it'll be used for.
Yep. Don Fardon.
The whole Woodhouse thing was a travesty.

wingy

Hmm the kind of neighbour that must be connected and carry some weight. L, a maybe a Peacock haven or similar?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Yep. Don Fardon.
The whole Woodhouse thing was a travesty.
Don Fardon also ran the Alhambra (behind the Silver Sword) for a good while in the early 1970's. He very nearly became my Brother-in-Law until my sister had a big bust up with him before they tied the knot! I met him years later when he worked at CWR at the same time as me and I asked him if he remembered my sister. He did! ;)

Adge

The Fuzzy Duck at Armscote. Not cheap but absolutely superb! Took the Mrs and Father in law earlier.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had dinner at the Cottage Inn , in Fillongley last week really nice

NorthernWisdom

Been reminded of this, just about every pub I've been to in the past has changed hands or closed down! Oak at Brandon still OK but not as great as it used to be, Friendly Inn at Frankton still good, still like the Merrie Lion at Fenny Compton, and I'll stick a special mention for the Plough at Eathorpe if you like Mexican(!)

But... it's all a bit out of date. Anybody been to the Plough at upper Boddington? What's that like?!? Gone past it but not in, do I have to be the pioneer...?

olderskyblue

Friend ate at the Fish, Wixford recently. Gave it good reviews.

Kneeza

Been reminded of this, just about every pub I've been to in the past has changed hands or closed down! Oak at Brandon still OK but not as great as it used to be, Friendly Inn at Frankton still good, still like the Merrie Lion at Fenny Compton, and I'll stick a special mention for the Plough at Eathorpe if you like Mexican(!)

But... it's all a bit out of date. Anybody been to the Plough at upper Boddington? What's that like?!? Gone past it but not in, do I have to be the pioneer...?
I'm just glad the Friend is still OK. Gawd I spent some cash in there when I lived about ten doors up from it!
Been reminded of the Plough at Eathorpe just yesterday. Another of my regular haunts back in the seventies when my mate's parents ran it before Don Fardon.
I'm told it's now run as a Mexican?

PVA

Possibly a little out the way for some, but The George in Kilsby re-opened relatively recently and has some really excellent Asian food (Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese).

Fox & Hounds at Charwelton also excellent (and also not very local for some I'd imagine), can be quite pricey though.

Adge

The Arrow Mill near Ragley Hall. Not cheap-but you get what you pay for.

olderskyblue

Any vegans on here should try the Barn at Willey. It’s you they cater for…

Adge

Had another belter at the Falcon in Warmington again last Friday. Anyone who’s not been-give it a bash, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. 👌

Users who are viewing this thread