Country Pubs (2 Viewers)

Grendel

took the wife for lunch there a month or two back, really enjoyed it and nice location though the weather was poor when we were there. Imagine it's cracking on a sunny day.

Yes I’ve been in the summer and it’s great.

Gazolba

The Kings Head, Napton. Gets excellent reviews and nice location.
thekingshead

CovInEssex

Does the old smithy count? The steakhouse?

I, too enjoy the greyhound on a summers afternoon... If you can get seated.

The chequers in Bulkington also has a good country feel.

NorthernWisdom

Wow, great recommendation, just eaten here today for Sunday dinner, 4 of us all had different meals, fantastically tasty, v good service and the 'Pride of Fenny' ale too boot!!
Cheers Captain!
I'm quoting this post just as a memento of somebody agreeing with me on something!

Must go back, mind you! Recently been enjoying the Friendly Inn in Frankton. Their specials are always tasty, and they change regularly (sometimes on the night!) so you know they really *are* specials. Chips are oven chips, but who cares when the main bit goes so well with them?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Popped into the Horse and jockey on the Tamworth road the other day it was nice, only had a pint but I’ve heard the food is really nice.

vow

Popped into the Horse and jockey on the Tamworth road the other day it was nice, only had a pint but I’ve heard the food is really nice.
That's handy to know!

Did they have any real ales on ?

Sky_Blue_Daz

That's handy to know!

Did they have any real ales on ?
Can’t say I noticed mate as I’m on crutches at the moment and went straight to a seat

But I’d imaging they do, the hare and hounds did doom bar if your nearby

Last edited:

vow

Can’t say I noticed mate as I’m on crutches at the moment and went straight to a seat

But I’d imaging they do, the hate and hounds did doom bar if your nearby
Thanks Daz!

On a side note, I class Doombar as a shite generic ale, that seems to be a token drink in most pubs, plus it's got a horrible taste!

Gazolba

Two Boats Inn at Long Itchington.

Sky_Blue_Daz

What’s the greyhound at Sutton stop like ?

Kneeza

I'm quoting this post just as a memento of somebody agreeing with me on something!

Must go back, mind you! Recently been enjoying the Friendly Inn in Frankton. Their specials are always tasty, and they change regularly (sometimes on the night!) so you know they really *are* specials. Chips are oven chips, but who cares when the main bit goes so well with them?
Just dragging this back out. Sorry!
Mention of the Friendly (it was my local, born just a few doors up Fair Close from it) reminds me of real pub cuisine.
When my great friend Jim Higgins and his wife Margaret ran it in the seventies, the food serving was bag of crisps - with a pickled egg in it if you wanted the 'special'.
I went in there a few weeks back for the first time in an age, as I'd booked it for my mum's wake.
They are closed on Mondays, but had no hesitation in giving us access from noon and for as long as we wanted, and laid a decent spread on for not bad money.
And the ghosts of my granddad and uncle Den were still there, I swear.

Still oven chips though!

Reactions: vow

olderskyblue

Got told last night that the Fleur De Lys at Lowsonford is really nice, with good food…

haven’t been myself, so cannot confirm

NorthernWisdom

Got told last night that the Fleur De Lys at Lowsonford is really nice, with good food…

I've been there! I'd say it's OK, with nice scenery, but not standout. If in that area I'd be heading to the Tom O'The Wood at Rowington... although this one, like many, has three year plus reviews from me now, and it seems an awful lot of pubs have changed hands since Covid hit, not always for the better.

NorthernWisdom

Mention of the Friendly (it was my local, born just a few doors up Fair Close from it) reminds me of real pub cuisine.
When my great friend Jim Higgins and his wife Margaret ran it in the seventies, the food serving was bag of crisps - with a pickled egg in it if you wanted the 'special'.
I went in there a few weeks back for the first time in an age, as I'd booked it for my mum's wake.
They are closed on Mondays, but had no hesitation in giving us access from noon and for as long as we wanted, and laid a decent spread on for not bad money.

Still oven chips though!
It's good to know it's still OK as I intend to try it again for the first time in ages (see above!) soon, and the owner's changed hands. It also seems to be for hire.

You don't earn much from running it, do you!

PVA

Someone told me the other day that the Friendly is not very good now. He does have slightly... questionable taste though.

Previous owners were a bit miserable, hopefully the new ones are more jolly.

Kneeza

Someone told me the other day that the Friendly is not very good now. He does have slightly... questionable taste though.

Previous owners were a bit miserable, hopefully the new ones are more jolly.
The current landlord, recently installed Scottish guy, seemed quite chirpy, and they were exceptionally accomodating. I can't really comment on the snap as ours was just the standard finger buffet kinda thing. Very acceptable though.
I must get back soon to see if he's framed and hung the copy of the poem about the place that my Uncle Den wrote many years ago. My missus gave him the copy, and he seemed quite chuffed about it.
Hope so anyway!
I have such fond memories of the pub, including my stag night when Jim Higgins was in charge. Bless him, he let everyone run totally amok, even supplying the flour. It must have taken all night to clean up the beer batter ready for Saturday lunch opening! 🤣

Kneeza

Can't really comment as the last time I went was on my BMW K100RS - and I sold that in about 1989.
From memory though, it was very nice.

Kneeza

It's good to know it's still OK as I intend to try it again for the first time in ages (see above!) soon, and the owner's changed hands. It also seems to be for hire.

You don't earn much from running it, do you!

Never heard of Star Pubs. It was NBC when I was a kid, before Watneys took over. Travesty!

vow

Still oven chips though!
Sorry for your loss.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a walk through coundon Allesley and into Keresley after a quick stop at the white lion yesterday before the game . Roughly 6 miles

Users who are viewing this thread