Council meeting - 18/8 (1 Viewer)

shepardo01

I get the impression that despite there being lots of goodwill to make it happen it just didn’t and there were numerous reasons why, one of which could have been lack of support from ccc
Pete. There was a leaked e.mail from the council basically telling Cov Rugby not to deal with the football club!

speedie87

When you see someone hasn’t spoken for 6 years it just highlights the fact that local politicians should only able to be in power for 5 years in one go

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pete. There was a leaked e.mail from the council basically telling Cov Rugby not to deal with the football club!

But that could be taken as a heads-up warning from their own experiences of dealing with them. Like a woman telling another woman a guy in the office is a bit lechy.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
No. We will though. The dream scenario is a deal at the Ricoh while the new stadium is built. Ccc said all the right things about the reasons why it’s good and that they desire it and we hopefully made them think about practically what that looks like. Cause it’s not avoiding talking to the owner for 6 years or offering to do the bare minimum. I do get if they say something more positive they’d need a plan to make it happen but they could be far more clear about their desires and we could help them with what that might look like.

what i dont get if they are saying all this then why not reach out to sisu and say hey look heres some options to get ye back playing in coventry lets start fresh the club is going in the right direction ect, it all seems smoke and mirrors to me they say they want a big club in coventry for financial benefit yet were now one league away from the prem yet they still havent tried to help the club settle back in coventry?great work by ye guys trying to get answers out of them you think the trust would be doing this useless shits need to be disbanded!

Samo

But that could be taken as a heads-up warning from their own experiences of dealing with them. Like a woman telling another woman a guy in the office is a bit lechy.

Or it could be seen as part of an ongoing plan to distress CCFC and force regime change

NorthernWisdom

We can argue over the past all day and sometimes this has merit as we can see more clearly the correct way to move on. In this case it’s not happening so what is?
Yeah. I'd see it as we can argue for fun about the past on here, but there's not much point in you meeting people for a gotcha wrt what's gone on. For a start you won't get it, and secondly what does that gain? Turning up and implying they're all shysters (all parties!) won't be the best of starts to any conversation!

chiefdave

Yep I was surprised he wasn’t sorry about the impact on ccfc supporters from selling acl to wasps with a 250 year long lease.

I understand his answer and I almost admire him for not taking the easy route and saying he does regret it but he said he had to consider all Coventry citizens and not just ccfc supporters.
I find this a really bizarre attitude from Duggins. How many citizens of Coventry had been expressing a burning desire to push a business worth millions annually to the local economy out of the city?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good work guys. What is done by all parties from here is what is important. Not what is said now nor what was done or said in the past by any of them. Put up or shut up time for all the parties

Sky Blue Pete

what i dont get if they are saying all this then why not reach out to sisu and say hey look heres some options to get ye back playing in coventry lets start fresh the club is going in the right direction ect, it all seems smoke and mirrors to me they say they want a big club in coventry for financial benefit yet were now one league away from the prem yet they still havent tried to help the club settle back in coventry?great work by ye guys trying to get answers out of them you think the trust would be doing this useless shits need to be disbanded!
I think they may be realising that we are asking the right questions of the right people so supporting that silently but might be being too generous

Johnnythespider

Yep I was surprised he wasn’t sorry about the impact on ccfc supporters from selling acl to wasps with a 250 year long lease.

I understand his answer and I almost admire him for not taking the easy route and saying he does regret it but he said he had to consider all Coventry citizens and not just ccfc supporters.

I was surprised because all parties accept that the injured party in this has been the fans and they’re not to blame for any of it!

I was bowled over by their openness in answering our questions. They may have lied of course or think no one really cares.

Martin Reeves talked about the financial benefit of having a successful football club in the city and added far more than we were making in our own points. He talked about the investment possibilities. It’s why my time and effort has gone in to ffs if everyone wants ccfc in Coventry why isn’t everyone doing everything they can to make it happen? And we were very clear that we don’t want the legal minimum support for any new stadium. Hence why we hope to continue conversations and give them a supporter perspective
Did he explain why it was better to sell to Wasps for all the citizens of Coventry, if not I'd like to hear his answer.

Magwitch

There are more questions than answers but one significant question has to be what are the City Council prepared to do to keep the club within its city boundary, if it means a new stadium where realistically could there be a location for it because if there isn’t the club could have problems.

Sky Blue Pete

There are more questions than answers but one significant question has to be what are the City Council prepared to do to keep the club within its city boundary, if it means a new stadium where realistically could there be a location for it because if there isn’t the club could have problems.
They seemed to say to us they can do nothing which as nick points out is patently ridiculous

Sky Blue Pete

What would you like them to do?
There were three things we proposed

One say you regret the impact on the supporters of selling acl with 250 year lease. Duggins said he didn’t

Another change the language they use be more positive and encouraging and speak in terms that show those interested that Ccfc are welcome in their city. Again I said above they can’t without a plan and as the ceo hasn’t spoken to the owners in 6 years maybe pick up the phone

And 3 none of this crap about legal minimum. Once there’s something more concrete they should find ways to practically support it

I know there are issues with the last one of those

Magwitch

What would you like them to do?
Simple really tell us yes or no if the will is there to allow us to build a stadium within our city or not and identity any possible sites, don’t tell me they don’t know the answer to that one.

shmmeee

Simple really tell us yes or no if the will is there to allow us to build a stadium within our city or not and identity any possible sites, don’t tell me they don’t know the answer to that one.

They’ve done the first AFAIK, and from what I hear done a bit of the second, but they can’t magic land out of nowhere. We’ve been looking on here for seven years and people still think Hearsall Common is the best option!

The club seem to have found what I think is the best available site without any help anyway. Do you want them to scrap the first progress they’ve made in years and start again so we can be 100 yards closer to the city?

Magwitch

In my opinion the Hearsall Common area is the only viable option within the city boundary might mean buying up land within the industrial estate at the side it would be a big project though but not impossible imo. Other than that there is Warwickshire land almost next door to the Ricoh now that would be interesting.

ccfctommy

If they really want the club in the city they could easily stop blocking us from working with CRFC. We pay for a proper pitch to be laid and put up temporary stands. CCC will do fuck all to help the club as usual.

Ground will never work there

shmmeee

In my opinion the Hearsall Common area is the only viable option within the city boundary might mean buying up land within the industrial estate at the side it would be a big project though but not impossible imo. Other than that there is Warwickshire land almost next door to the Ricoh now that would be interesting.

Do you realise how much commercial land right next to the A45 and the rail station is worth? Even if you could make the multiple property deals with the various land owners.

And that’s before you get into the traffic issues and local complaints. Hearsall Common is not a serious option.

Sky Blue Pete

Would be interested to hear his justification. Struggling to see any way the 'benefit' of Wasps being here can be judged to outweigh the loss of the football club. And that's before you even get to the moral argument.
Had a responsibility to secure the asset for all Coventrians however much it affected ccfc. Like I say I think he’s wrong but he was adamant.

Sky Blue Pete

Did they ever say how much wasps benefit the city as opposed to losing a championship football team?

how much to the the economy is wasps worth?
Only 15 home games. Not the same amount of away support and not the same national psyche around rugby as football. So they didn’t because they recognise that it pales into insignificance. But they aren’t responsible for the loan or maintenance of the site this way.

Like I say I think they have backed the wrong horse and we are so much more viable as a partner in success than wasps. We weren’t necessarily in league 2 or 1 but we are now

Magwitch

What worries me is a lot of people don’t seem to realise how serious this could become, we are not going to be allowed to ground share on and on.

shmmeee

Only 15 home games. Not the same amount of away support and not the same national psyche around rugby as football. So they didn’t because they recognise that it pales into insignificance. But they aren’t responsible for the loan or maintenance of the site this way.

Like I say I think they have backed the wrong horse and we are so much more viable as a partner in success than wasps. We weren’t necessarily in league 2 or 1 but we are now

It’s not a zero sum game Pete. Either Wasps or CCFC. This town is big enough for the both of them. In an ideal world it’s a symbiotic relationship that helps both.

tisza

Point is Duggins (and others) assumed CCFC (under possibly new ownership) would accept the decision and have no choice but to fall inline and be the 2nd club at the Ricoh. A checkmate situation.

shmmeee

Point is Duggins (and others) assumed CCFC (under possibly new ownership) would accept the decision and have no choice but to fall inline and be the 2nd club at the Ricoh. A checkmate situation.

Just like Joy assumed CCC would fall in line and accept handing over an asset for nothing.

It was a negotiation and we lost out. High reward strategies are also high risk funnily enough.

No point crying over spilt milk. We tried. We failed. Move on and make the best of where we are.

Sky Blue Pete

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly prior to Duggins members in the council thought they could ensure an administration and regime change and they couldn’t. But this is the past. Use it to inform and ensure the future looks better but let’s not wallow in it or allow it to infect our future.

Let’s hope heads can work together and get playing back in coventry and then, let’s see if the university thing is for real.

Users who are viewing this thread