Council meeting - 18/8 (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Hi everyone

Mark and I met the council on 18th August. The meeting was minuted but we’ve yet to receive the copy.

In attendance were George Duggins, Abdul Khan, leader and deputy leader of the council, Martin Reeves, chief executive, Julie Newman - legal and me and Mark.

We spoke for 90 minutes or so and covered a lot of detail.

The agenda was as follows and as soon as we receive the minutes we will post them on here and I’m sure Mark and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you have. Depending on the situation we will consider any more public sharing of details too

As with conversations with all other parties this won’t be a one off. There were clear areas we would wish to follow up, not least around the ongoing relationship of the ccc with ccfc and challenges with the potential new stadium

So the agenda

Breakdown of 20-21 talks
Sale of Acl on a 250 year lease to wasps
The EU complaint
Economic impact of ccfc playing outside of Coventry
New stadium on University of Warwick land
Change of approach from ccc to Ccfc
Agreement of minutes and public statement
Aob

Only posting this now as it’s been a while and people might be wondering what happened

Irish Sky Blue

Hi everyone

Mark and I met the council on 18th August. The meeting was minuted but we’ve yet to receive the copy.

In attendance were George Duggins, Abdul Khan, leader and deputy leader of the council, Martin Reeves, chief executive, Julie Newman - legal and me and Mark.

The agenda was as follows and as soon as we receive the minutes we will post them on here and I’m sure Mark and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you have. Depending on the situation we will consider any more public sharing of details too

As with conversations with all other parties this won’t be a one off. There were clear areas we would wish to follow up, not least around the ongoing relationship of the ccc with ccfc and challenges with the potential new stadium

So the agenda

Breakdown of 20-21 talks
The EU complaint
Aob

Only posting this now as it’s been a while and people might be wondering what happened
Are the parties concerned still in talks for a return to the Ricoh?

clint van damme

Hi everyone

So the agenda

Breakdown of 20-21 talks
The EU complaint
Aob

Am I right to assume you think the mi it's a are well overdue Pete?

Mcbean

its sometimes difficult to take minutes and ask questions at the same time:D should have taken a secretary along as the Pub Landlord would say

Sky Blue Pete

We took our own as well and will seek to agree them. It was great of the council to offer and with leave they’ve taken a little longer than was hoped.

Irish - all parties want ccfc to play in Coventry’.

Irish Sky Blue

We took our own as well and will seek to agree them. It was great of the council to offer and with leave they’ve taken a little longer than was hoped.

Thanks for that, but are they talking. Apologies if you feel you can't say.

shepardo01

Pete. Think they do want CCFC in Coventry.
They want it without SISU anywhere near it though. That is the problem.

Also, knowing that Duggins has lied previously, was there anything said that was a little bit "surprising" given their previous.

Sky Blue Pete

Pete. Think they do want CCFC in Coventry.
They want it without SISU anywhere near it though. That is the problem.

Also, knowing that Duggins has lied previously, was there anything said that was a little bit "surprising" given their previous.
Yep I was surprised he wasn’t sorry about the impact on ccfc supporters from selling acl to wasps with a 250 year long lease.

I understand his answer and I almost admire him for not taking the easy route and saying he does regret it but he said he had to consider all Coventry citizens and not just ccfc supporters.

I was surprised because all parties accept that the injured party in this has been the fans and they’re not to blame for any of it!

I was bowled over by their openness in answering our questions. They may have lied of course or think no one really cares.

Martin Reeves talked about the financial benefit of having a successful football club in the city and added far more than we were making in our own points. He talked about the investment possibilities. It’s why my time and effort has gone in to ffs if everyone wants ccfc in Coventry why isn’t everyone doing everything they can to make it happen? And we were very clear that we don’t want the legal minimum support for any new stadium. Hence why we hope to continue conversations and give them a supporter perspective

Sky Blue Pete

It's all well and good them saying they want the club to play here and the economical benefits etc but what have they done about it?
Yep absolutely agree and you could throw that at all parties and you have. So practically what can they do? They can speak positively about having the club in the city. Martin reeves could maybe talk to the club or the owners and seek to heal the relationship a little. Not spoken in 6 years!!! They could certainly talk positively and engage with the new stadium. George duggjns has good relationship with uow chancellor. As to getting wasps and Sisu and ccfc to talk they said they can’t do anything, I’m not sure that’s completely accurate

Nick

Administrator
Yep absolutely agree and you could throw that at all parties and you have. So practically what can they do? They can speak positively about having the club in the city. Martin reeves could maybe talk to the club or the owners and seek to heal the relationship a little. Not spoken in 6 years!!! They could certainly talk positively and engage with the new stadium. George duggjns has good relationship with uow chancellor. As to getting wasps and Sisu and ccfc to talk I genuinely don’t think they can do too much but maybe in the background they can

Very naive to think they can't do anything though isn't it?

Especially when Duggins showed more effort about an Aldi closing.

It just sounds like the same old sound bytes?

Covkid1968#

Hi everyone

So the agenda

Breakdown of 20-21 talks
The EU complaint
Aob

Good work Guys. really feel we have a voice at the table representing us. And hats off for representing the SBT peeps.... a collection of oddballs, ranters and experts on all matters ....oh and the odd weirdo

Liquid Gold

If they really want the club in the city they could easily stop blocking us from working with CRFC. We pay for a proper pitch to be laid and put up temporary stands. CCC will do fuck all to help the club as usual.

higgs

It's frustrating you can never trust a politician and I guess you can't trust anybody in business so unless we have a divine intervention a return to the Ricoh looks very unlikely. More unlikely than us building a new stadium I'm not too sure. Anyway I digress thanks Mark and Pete for the hard work you do in the background

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

Why do they call them minutes when they take weeks, can we complain to the EU about it.
Thanks for the update, I'd completely forgotten about it, maybe they are hoping everyone does

shmmeee

If they really want the club in the city they could easily stop blocking us from working with CRFC. We pay for a proper pitch to be laid and put up temporary stands. CCC will do fuck all to help the club as usual.

Are they blocking it? Last I can find is 2017 CRFC saying they’re open to it but with a host of conditions including not working with Sisu. Have the club even attempted to make this happen since then?

Sky Blue Pete

Are they blocking it? Last I can find is 2017 CRFC saying they’re open to it but with a host of conditions including not working with Sisu. Have the club even attempted to make this happen since then?
It’s not happening now. In the pre meeting questions we were going to push this and ask why but the conversation moved on.

shmmeee

It’s not happening now. In the pre meeting questions we were going to push this and ask why but the conversation moved on.

I always got the impression that CRFC didn’t fancy playing second fiddle in their own ground and we needed something that would be far too big for them.

Nick

Administrator

We have been through this multiple times and you never seen to actually realise what happened.

Nick

Administrator
I always got the impression that CRFC didn’t fancy playing second fiddle in their own ground and we needed something that would be far too big for them.

So why did they put a business proposal together to the council?

Sky Blue Pete

I get the impression that despite there being lots of goodwill to make it happen it just didn’t and there were numerous reasons why, one of which could have been lack of support from ccc

Sky Blue Pete

But do they specifically differentiate between us playing in Cov at the Ricoh or accept the idea of a new ground in Cov?
No. We will though. The dream scenario is a deal at the Ricoh while the new stadium is built. Ccc said all the right things about the reasons why it’s good and that they desire it and we hopefully made them think about practically what that looks like. Cause it’s not avoiding talking to the owner for 6 years or offering to do the bare minimum. I do get if they say something more positive they’d need a plan to make it happen but they could be far more clear about their desires and we could help them with what that might look like.

Nick

Administrator
I get the impression that despite there being lots of goodwill to make it happen it just didn’t and there were numerous reasons why, one of which could have been lack of support from ccc

The council told you there was good will and they were trying to make it happen as well?

Users who are viewing this thread