Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Oh yeah that’s obvious, but the idea that so many people have had mild symptoms for months and yet the first death only occurred recently just doesn’t add up.

...Is it possible that some deaths were not detected as Cov19 in the early stages.....for example, would they have tested a 90 year old with a myriad of health issues who developed pneumonia & then died? I have no idea, but i'm guessing they wouldn't have.

shmmeee

...Is it possible that some deaths were not detected as Cov19 in the early stages.....for example, would they have tested a 90 year old with a myriad of health issues who developed pneumonia & then died? I have no idea, but i'm guessing they wouldn't have.

Yeah still feels like grasping at straws when we’ve tracked outbreaks so well like the first one in Bristol. We’d have seen a massive uptick in hospitalisations as well.

ajsccfc

Yep....same here...right at the end of January...
Me, wife & kids all had dry coughs....me & the wife had a fever & wife also developed a bit of a chest infection. Interestingly also recall having itchy eyes around the same period.....

I was reading stuff last night from research in northern Italy that stated nearly 60% of those tested positive had ZERO symptoms....and those with no symptoms were approximately 55% less contagious.

Iceland is similar. More people tested per however many than most if not all countries and they're reporting the same kind of thing. I think @shmmeee is most likely right about straws being grasped as it doesn't seem to stack up logically, but I'm grasping any straws I can see with this

OffenhamSkyBlue

I think i'm right in saying that they have tested close on the entire population in Iceland (roughly equivalent to the population of Coventry, by the way). Over half of all people who tested positive reported having had no symptoms. That MAY be something in the Nordic genome which makes them less susceptible to the infection than a more genetically diverse population like in the UK (doesn't include Leicester, for obvious reasons :finger:).
Public Health England put out a weekly 12 page report on influenza infections, and record all ICU/HDU admissions and "unexpected" deaths, so i suspect this might have captured any early "Covid-19" cases (but may not have diagnosed them as such, as @jimmyhillsfanclub rightly surmised).
They also publish an annual report every year, publishing all the data for that season.
For the year ended March 31st 2019, there were 1692 deaths in England attributable to flu infection.

Not making any comment, but them's the facts.

shmmeee

It also works the other way I suppose, and many symptoms of COV-ID are actually something else.

Hence the large number of negative test results.

Negative tests can also be false negatives due to lack of symptoms or focusing testing on admissions and contacts to be safe.

shmmeee

Really interesting More or Less Coronavirus special on today on R4 around 9am BTW. Didn’t catch the end of it but always a good show when numbers are in the news.

clint van damme

This “everyone was infected in January” thing doesn’t sit right with me. Surely if you have a bunch of people infected running about with no controls we’d have seen a massive outbreak?

Seems like grasping at straws to me. Obviously hope it’s true but just doesn’t pass the sniff test for me.

Some top bod from Oxford saying he thinks it could be the case though his evidence is flimsy at present by the sound of it.
It was in either the times or telegraph but I could only read up until the pay wall popped up!
Great news if he's right but that conclusion is a long way off though I think there could be some merit in it

clint van damme

Yeah still feels like grasping at straws when we’ve tracked outbreaks so well like the first one in Bristol. We’d have seen a massive uptick in hospitalisations as well.

How do we k ow there wasn't? (Obviously not on the scale it is now).
My wife knows 3 people who were hospitalised around Christmas with a flu that caused respitory issues.
Of course, that diagnosis may have been correct.

shmmeee

My wife knows 3 people who were hospitalised around Christmas with a flu that caused respitory issues.

Then you’d see an uptick in pneumonia or flu cases, don’t know about the former but on More or Less today they said this winter we’d had unusually low flu hospitalisations.

clint van damme

Then you’d see an uptick in pneumonia or flu cases, don’t know about the former but on More or Less today they said this winter we’d had unusually low flu hospitalisations.

Maybe the corona ate all the flu!
But you're right, you would expect that which is why I wouldn't hang my hat on this theory but I wouldn't totally dismiss it just yet either.

shmmeee

Maybe the corona ate all the flu!
But you're right, you would expect that which is why I wouldn't hang my hat on this theory but I wouldn't totally dismiss it just yet either.

Was a really interesting episode actually. Guy was head of risk analysis at some uni and was saying the death rate for Coronavirus essentially exactly matched the chances of death in the next year (I.e. it raises massively as you age and at the same rate) and it was like the virus takes a years deaths and does them in a few weeks (if left to rip). Quick to also say that doesn’t mean no one would die for the rest of the year though!

ajsccfc

It'd be absolute magic if what I had in February was it because although I had basically zero energy and was either burning up or freezing for three weeks, it didn't destroy my lungs as I fear it could.

fellatio_Martinez

My girlfriend was coughing like mad last night and was also sweating profusely. Her temp is down today but she still has an aggressive cough.

It's hard to know if it's the virus but I'll be no doubt be getting the same in due course.

fernandopartridge

Like i said on here before, they had 6 cases in Walsgrave ICU the week my sister was admitted, all respiratory problems. Not sure if that is unusual but it sounded like it was,

ajsccfc

This sounds promising, home test kits possibly available for delivery or in chemists fairly soon

UK coronavirus mass home testing to be made available 'within days'

Thousands of 15-minute home tests for coronavirus will be delivered by Amazon to people self-isolating with symptoms or will go on sale on the high street within days, according to Public Health England (PHE), in a move that could restore many people’s lives to a semblance of pre-lockdown normality.

Prof Sharon Peacock, the director of the national infection service at PHE, told MPs on the science and technology committee that mass testing in the UK would be possible by next week.

chiefdave

It'd be absolute magic if what I had in February was it because although I had basically zero energy and was either burning up or freezing for three weeks, it didn't destroy my lungs as I fear it could.
I've had a persistent cough for a couple of months now and some weird symptoms. Doctor couldn't work out what it was, even sent me for an x-ray to check it wasn't lung cancer!

He said there was something unusual going around so who knows, maybe more people have had it than we realise. Although if that was the case you have to look into why it didn't spread earlier.

Sick Boy

There’s a theory here that it’s been about for longer than reported, I read a while ago about an increase in pneumonia related illness around Christmas time.

wingy

I've had a persistent cough for a couple of months now and some weird symptoms. Doctor couldn't work out what it was, even sent me for an x-ray to check it wasn't lung cancer!

He said there was something unusual going around so who knows, maybe more people have had it than we realise. Although if that was the case you have to look into why it didn't spread earlier.
It kill our parents if we're interacting with them .

Nick

Administrator
My girlfriend was coughing like mad last night and was also sweating profusely. Her temp is down today but she still has an aggressive cough.

It's hard to know if it's the virus but I'll be no doubt be getting the same in due course.

Was she like this?

9.jpg

OR

young-woman-coughing-royalty-free-image-670880835-1550716810.jpg

In all seriousness, I hope she is OK!

Saddlebrains

Strangely, end of January my 10year old lad had a horrific cough. Dry, and continuous. Kept up a lot of the night slight temperature and fatigue for a couple of days too. I remember saying at the time 'I've never heard a cough like it' . Doctior said it was a respiratory infection but not chest infection and seemed a bit stumped.

There are too many of these instances of corona like symptoms from December in this country online for it to not be a coincidence.

But again as said in the thread, maybe its just straw clutching, but lets hope against hope that it does turn out to be the case. Wouldn't explain all these deaths though

Marty

Strangely, end of January my 10year old lad had a horrific cough. Dry, and continuous. Kept up a lot of the night slight temperature and fatigue for a couple of days too. I remember saying at the time 'I've never heard a cough like it' . Doctior said it was a respiratory infection but not chest infection and seemed a bit stumped.

There are too many of these instances of corona like symptoms from December in this country online for it to not be a coincidence.

But again as said in the thread, maybe its just straw clutching, but lets hope against hope that it does turn out to be the case. Wouldn't explain all these deaths though

It's quite possible it's been here months, China reported their first case mid November iirc, who knows how long it was going around there before it was flagged up.

dutchman

According to what I've read, recovery from COVID-19 gives no protection from contracting it again in the future so all this talk of 'group immunity' and a possible future vaccine is total fantasy.

ajsccfc

I don't think it gives you permanent immunity, but it's more like flu where you're not likely to get it again in a hurry which can slow it down and allow medicine to catch up with it eventually becoming a regular treatable illness. I could be wide of the mark but that's what I've got from it all

Halftime Orange

Seems there was a 'patient zero' in the UK infected in january from a ski lodge in Austria where it is said the european outbreak started.
I was ill about a month ago with a non stop dry cough and a runny nose with a bit of fever. Nothing to knock me on my arse and I assumed it was a bad cold.

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

skybluesam66

I had the same mid February
Doctors couldn’t work out what it was
Had the X-ray etc but no diagnosis. Especially when I told them I was not a smoker
Really deep persistent cough but a really strange depth to it
Off work for around 10 days

Users who are viewing this thread