Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

clint van damme

just being reading about Iran. Government says if people strictly follow government guidelines they predict 12,000 deaths.
If they ignore government advice it could be as high as 3.5 million. Lots of people ignoring the advice because they government has closed places of worship and mobs are breaking into them to pray.
Puts clearing the supermarkets out of bog roll and pasta in to perspective.

D

Deleted member 4439

As per reports last week detailing a return to work in a number of production centres, China is starting to relax its lockdown still further. They anticipate there will be another rise and likely the need for another lockdown. Obviously there is an economic driver here, but also the idea that staged lockdowns achieve herd immunity in a controlled way.

dutchman

It is likely to be a partial or full closure
Just seen the headteacher's letter to parents.
It says "If a member of your family is displaying symptoms associated with Coronavirus (new, persistent
cough and / or high temperature), all members of the household should self-isolate. This period of
self-isolation should now last for 14 days if more than one person lives in the household."
I think it was misinterpreted as I doubt if more than half the school fall into that category.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

giphy.gif

How apt - an Animaniac.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

just being reading about Iran. Government says if people strictly follow government guidelines they predict 12,000 deaths.
If they ignore government advice it could be as high as 3.5 million. Lots of people ignoring the advice because they government has closed places of worship and mobs are breaking into them to pray.
Puts clearing the supermarkets out of bog roll and pasta in to perspective.

That's a big problem when you've got countries which are highly religious. You can use all the science and expertise you want, but all they'll think is "pray to God and all will be fine".

Then when they have far worse death tolls it'll be because closing the places of worship angered God and this is his retribution, rather than "we all crammed into small spaces so I wonder why we had a high rate of infection over a short period?"

Never ask why those countries that aren't religious or follow a completely different God got of more lightly and God didn't smite them worse.

tisza

That's a big problem when you've got countries which are highly religious. You can use all the science and expertise you want, but all they'll think is "pray to God and all will be fine".

Then when they have far worse death tolls it'll be because closing the places of worship angered God and this is his retribution, rather than "we all crammed into small spaces so I wonder why we had a high rate of infection over a short period?"

Never ask why those countries that aren't religious or follow a completely different God got of more lightly and God didn't smite them worse.
just idiots. Islam has plenty of caveats of how and when you pray. Basically anywhere as long as you're facing in the right direction.

Nick

Administrator
Must be about time people like Piers Morgan and Collymore are shut down.

Looks like Collymore is going around supermarkets to see what people are getting. He has such an issue about it being spread though.

You have Piers Morgan and the Accrington owner saying that they can't go to the pub but the kids go to school. They can go to the pub still as far as I know.

shmmeee

I agree mate, I don’t get it (there must be some reasoning behind it as it’s not intuitive in conjunction with the current wider strategy)

All I’m guessing (as Tony has indicated) once you do close them I’d imagine they won’t reopen for a long time

I can see the sense TBF. Closing schools while simultaneously isolating the elderly would have by far the biggest impact on the economy as people are left without childcare and either can’t work from home and need leave or can and productivity takes a massive hit (or iPad sales go through the roof :p). Then there’s the impact on health care with a third of nurses with school aged kids.

I think they’ll end up keeping a skeleton staff open for key workers and maybe exam years but I get why they’re leaving it as late as possible, especially with Easter on the horizon. They should close everything post 16 though. No reason not to.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Must be about time people like Piers Morgan and Collymore are shut down.

Looks like Collymore is going around supermarkets to see what people are getting. He has such an issue about it being spread though.

You have Piers Morgan and the Accrington owner saying that they can't go to the pub but the kids go to school. They can go to the pub still as far as I know.

I think Piers would benefit more from going to school.

fernandopartridge

just idiots. Islam has plenty of caveats of how and when you pray. Basically anywhere as long as you're facing in the right direction.

Yep, I used to work at Watford Gap services whilst at school, you'd often find muslims stopping to pray in the foyer, facing towards the southbound side, not sure what was so attractive about it.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Scotland & Wales announce school closures from Friday.

Now its announced, I bet attendance in those nations will be less than 25% tomorrow anyhow.

Interesting that they both announce just before the Cobra meeting that will surely announce the same plan...
...I suppose it depends on your political bias as to whether you see that as a deliberate act to undermine govt. "leadership" or 2 devolved powers sick of waiting for the "leadership" to announce the inevitable....

Brighton Sky Blue

Scotland & Wales announce school closures from Friday.

Now its announced, I bet attendance in those nations will be less than 25% tomorrow anyhow.

Interesting that they both announce just before the Cobra meeting that will surely announce the same plan...
...I suppose it depends on your political bias as to whether you see that as a deliberate act to undermine govt. "leadership" or 2 devolved powers sick of waiting for the "leadership" to announce the inevitable....

I think it’s more that they are able to meet at different times and are responsible for considerably fewer people. But I really wish our own government would just fricking say.

OffenhamSkyBlue

People with Type 1 diabetes GENERALLY have fewer underlying complicating health issues than type 2 diabetics (who are frequently overweight, which is a massive risk factor for cardiovascular and respiratory disease). They should both be advised to isolate.
But i still firmly believe that schoolkids (and many teachers) should be encouraged to get the disease unless they actually LIVE with their elderly relatives

skybluetony176

Only after he was forced to
It’s all very reactive from the government isn’t it. I see they’re now looking at testing health workers after a few went on line to point out that they’re now self isolating for two weeks when if they were tested and given the all clear they could be back at work in a couple of days helping the already under pressure NHS service cope with this. Flabbergasting that this needs to be explained to the government from online activity of NHS staff self isolating. Where’s the leadership.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I would assume they will use predictive grades /course work completed as a guide
Just give everyone A* to continue the trend that has been adopted in recent years??

(sorry, that is a bit cynical, and said tongue-in-cheek - i don't mean to demean the efforts that schoolkids put in to their studies)

Users who are viewing this thread