Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

There is no response. Nothing. Everyone else has taken measures, but not us apart from to talk about the finances.
Because the medical experts have advised we are still okay in the containment phase. They gave spoken about how they will have to up their repinsevwhen the time calls for it

Ring Of Steel

yes, and how have the steps taken by Germany, Italy, France etc helped so far ?

They are currently irrelevant.

I’m not saying we’re right, they’re wrong, however, I am saying our government have said from day one that they will base their decisions on the medical advice they receive. I hope this is correct. To suggest that they don’t give shit and/or only acting for purely economic reasons is ridiculous/pathetic

We have had the chance to see what happened in Italy, Germany and France, and prepare accordingly, what our govt has done is tell the country that shaking hands with coronavirus patients is fine, have a budget, talk about getting retired doctors back to work and scratch their heads with horror at how unprepared and under-resourced they’ve made the NHS.

CCFCSteve

We have had the chance to see what happened in Italy, Germany and France, and prepare accordingly, what our govt has done is tell the country that shaking hands with coronavirus patients is fine, have a budget, talk about getting retired doctors back to work and scratch their heads with horror at how unprepared and under-resourced they’ve made the NHS.

To suggest the government is sitting on their hands is crazy.

Do I think they and all other countries are struggling to know what’s best to do, yes (these are unprecedented times), But I also listened to GPs yesterday saying that they were receiving regular updates, had all received additional protective supplies and that they are receiving bulletins from NHS England as to what to do next. The government has also taken several steps to try to mitigate the risk/impact on people and businesses as I detailed earlier.

As Ive said, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but I’ll follow government/medical advice and then also make my own decisions.

Based on what you’re saying i trust you won’t be going on Saturday. I’d also expect you will be telling everyone on the forum not to attend the match either

CCFCSteve

Just to be clear I am saying all of this with a mum in her 70s who has asthma who I love dearly and want to protect. I told her last week to avoid large gatherings and buy groceries online. That doesn’t change my view on what I and the rest of the country should do though, which is maintain good personal hygiene, minimise risk to themselves and others and follow the current medical guidelines

Ring Of Steel

To suggest the government is sitting on their hands is crazy.

Do I think they and all other countries are struggling to know what’s best to do, yes (these are unprecedented times), But I also listened to GPs yesterday saying that they were receiving regular updates, had all received additional protective supplies and that they are receiving bulletins from NHS England as to what to do next. The government has also taken several steps to try to mitigate the risk/impact on people and businesses as I detailed earlier.

As Ive said, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but I’ll follow government/medical advice and then also make my own decisions.

Based on what you’re saying i trust you won’t be going on Saturday. I’d also expect you will be telling everyone on the forum not to attend the match either

Yes, I am suggesting the government is sitting on its hands. You seem to just believe any old claptrap you’re fed, and thats your call I guess. It is a bit weird bearing in mind how many outright lies have been told so far, but as the saying goes, “you can’t fix stupid”.

Ring Of Steel

Just to be clear I am saying all of this with a mum in her 70s who has asthma who I love dearly and want to protect. I told her last week to avoid large gatherings and buy groceries online. That doesn’t change my view on what I and the rest of the country should do though, which is maintain good personal hygiene, minimise risk to themselves and others and follow the current medical guidelines

The current medical guidelines are that we are not prepared and are not going to cope. If you listen to the spin then we are going to be ok.

And all the best to your mum, I can identify.

David O'Day

The current medical guidelines are that we are not prepared and are not going to cope. If you listen to the spin then we are going to be ok.

And all the best to your mum, I can identify.
No they are not, the medical advice from the experts is the containment phase is working at the moment but we will at some stage gave to move to the next stage. They have spoke about getting anyone who us I'll not matter what with to isolate. They talk about having take further measures when the evidence tells them they need to

Ring Of Steel

A badly written by times piece with not a jot of evidence

Explain why you k ow better than chris whitty?

not a jot of evidence apart from the fact that every single country on the planet that has the infection is following the same trajectory of cases, apart from a couple who instigated immediate strict measures to contain, such as Singapore. I hope you’re right and we somehow are the anomaly, highly unlikely though wouldn’t you say?

Ring Of Steel

No they are not, the medical advice from the experts is the containment phase is working at the moment but we will at some stage gave to move to the next stage. They have spoke about getting anyone who us I'll not matter what with to isolate. They talk about having take further measures when the evidence tells them they need to
“The experts” :) :)

David O'Day

not a jot of evidence apart from the fact that every single country on the planet that has the infection is following the same trajectory of cases, apart from a couple who instigated immediate strict measures to contain, such as Singapore. I hope you’re right and we somehow are the anomaly, highly unlikely though wouldn’t you say?
Same trajectory? That old bunkum. That was dealt with on the other thread

CCFCSteve

No the evidence shows it to be false. Now explain why Chris Whitty and Jenny Harries are not experts?

The New York Times article ROS linked also has other experts also providing similar advice/comments

as I say, I don’t know whether they are right or wrong but that’s who the government are following

Ring Of Steel

No the evidence shows it to be false. Now explain why Chris Whitty and Jenny Harries are not experts?

lol, no it doesn’t. And as for the “experts”, she’s the one that said there will be an epidemic in 10 days. I didn’t have you down as quite so gullible & facile.

David O'Day

lol, no it doesn’t. And as for the “experts”, she’s the one that said there will be an epidemic in 10 days. I didn’t have you down as quite so gullible & facile.
She said there maybe an epidemic. She's also the deputy chief medical officer so she is the one advising the government. I didn't have you down as a head wasp either

CCFCSteve

not sure anyone’s saying it’s not going to get worse. It is, we know that. But to blame the government for inaction when various experts have detailed why they have taken their current stance is ridiculous. We will undoubtedly end up taking similar actions as other nations but at the time the experts advise

David O'Day

The New York Times article ROS linked also has other experts also providing similar advice/comments

as I say, I don’t know whether they are right or wrong but that’s who the government are following
Professor Neil and Dr Smitn cant be experts in his eyes then as they disagree with him.

David O'Day

Basically the cases will rise and at some stage we will need to step up our actions but the current situation doesn't warrant it.

I was reading a piece on the 1918 pandemic and that showed that enforcing mandatory measures too early leads to fatigue in the measures and more people disregarding them. The forced measures may have well led to more deaths.

Nick

Administrator
People are going mad for schools to close.

What happens when NHS staff can't go into work because they have their kids?

Isn't it a bit too early to start shutting the country down?

David O'Day

At current figures yes

Ring Of Steel

Basically the cases will rise and at some stage we will need to step up our actions but the current situation doesn't warrant it.

I was reading a piece on the 1918 pandemic and that showed that enforcing mandatory measures too early leads to fatigue in the measures and more people disregarding them. The forced measures may have well led to more deaths.

I actually have no idea how this got so wound up. Let me summarise this way, I trust nothing, not a single word, of anything that comes from the vague direction of Johnson or his cronies, and him going on about how shaking hands with positive cases just reinforced that.

Ring Of Steel

Apparently they’re closing here on Friday for a month, but that’s yet to be confirmed.

David O'Day

I actually have no idea how this got so wound up. Let me summarise this way, I trust nothing, not a single word, of anything that comes from the vague direction of Johnson or his cronies, and him going on about how shaking hands with positive cases just reinforced that.
I trust the medical experts to do their jobs.

CCFCSteve

i
Apparently they’re closing here on Friday for a month, but that’s yet to be confirmed.

So why are you suggesting nothings happening ?! I understand everyone’s worried/concerned but it’s obvious the government and their medical advisors are working through a planned strategy (whether you, I or anyone else likes it or not)

Ring Of Steel

i

So why are you suggesting nothings happening ?! I understand everyone’s worried/concerned but it’s obvious the government and their medical advisors are working through a planned strategy (whether you, I or anyone else likes it or not)
I don’t live in England

Ring Of Steel

But they and other experts talk about this openly, there advice isn't a state secret
Just been too many constant lies, some of which have also come from ‘experts’, I don’t trust the people making these calls and never will. That’s not to deride the medical people either, it is to deride the people who take the info and make the calls.

David O'Day

Just been too many constant lies, some of which have also come from ‘experts’, I don’t trust the people making these calls and never will. That’s not to deride the medical people either, it is to deride the people who take the info and make the calls.
I get you are not in the uk but whitty, harries and vallance are calling the shots and they gfe been open about this and eillmspeak to the press and exp,ain things and explain themselves to a parliamentary committee etc.

The advise is out in the open

Ring Of Steel

butt out then !!!

only kidding.... I think/hope you’ll agree that steps will be taken here at the appropriate time
I have no issue with medical experts, but I don’t have faith in the bumbling fools taking their advice and deciding what to do. I guess we’ll see, maybe it’s all exaggerated, too much info to work out what is real and what isn’t apart from the stats from other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread