Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (12 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

jimmyhillsfanclub

They've not even approved it and have been sitting on millions of doses. They're now going to 'share' them with the rest of the world - doubt they'll even use it over there.

Yep....and if thats not purely the result of the USA big pharma lobby....I'll eat my hat.

Why allow a "cost price" european vaccine into their domestic market when you've already got pfizer, moderna & Johnson johnson.......

......ker-ching

ovduk78

My friend in Brussels has just told me that 150,000 elderly Belgians have refused the vaccine. Surely they will have to continue to isolate or risk infection and the figures will rise. I wonder what the figures are like in the UK.

NorthernWisdom

My friend in Brussels has just told me that 150,000 elderly Belgians have refused the vaccine. Surely they will have to continue to isolate or risk infection and the figures will rise. I wonder what the figures are like in the UK.
One would assume if you refuse the vaccine, you consider the risk of infection less than the risk of Covid, so wouldn't want to isolate anyway.

ovduk78

One would assume if you refuse the vaccine, you consider the risk of infection less than the risk of Covid, so wouldn't want to isolate anyway.
That's how I see it too. I know the vaccines aren't 100% but surely it will affect the way Belgium plans to reduce it's restrictions.

chiefdave

Are the US donating the unused vaccine or selling it on?
Yep....and if thats not purely the result of the USA big pharma lobby....I'll eat my hat.

Why allow a "cost price" european vaccine into their domestic market when you've already got pfizer, moderna & Johnson johnson.......
Who is footing the bill? Assume you don't get charged for the vaccine even in the US so is the government picking up the tab at over-inflated prices? Is treatment covered as well or are huge numbers of American's going to be paying for this for decades to come?

David O'Day

Are the US donating the unused vaccine or selling it on?

Who is footing the bill? Assume you don't get charged for the vaccine even in the US so is the government picking up the tab at over-inflated prices? Is treatment covered as well or are huge numbers of American's going to be paying for this for decades to come?

also the big pharma line falls as the doses they have in storage are already paid for.

It's more likely just a case of they have enough vaccines from other brands.

Germany is looking at offering a vaccine to all by June so they are finally getting it together

Sick Boy

Both my parents have had their second dose now, which is excellent as well as my GF and her parents :)

Bizarrely we were out walking in a field on Sunday and an old lady was out walking too and berated me for having a mask around my chin and my girlfriend for not wearing one - needless to say the explosive Italian temper of my GF appeared.

chiefdave

"Get ready for a 'normal' summer: Nearly 70% of adults in England now have coronavirus antibodies" Nearly 70% of adults in England now have coronavirus antibodies
I'm going to take a believe it when I see it stance I think. Events over the summer, well past the date that restrictions are supposedly being removed, are being cancelled on a daily basis - I've already had two today and one was a relatively small outdoor event that's not until September!

Having said that 70% was the lower end figure that was being mentioned for herd immunity, although I've also seen it as high as the mid-90s, so hopefully as restrictions are removed we won't see a surge in cases. Some good news today about transmission following vaccination as well.

Saddlebrains

The transmission news really is fantastic.

We have had enough data to understand the vaccine stops serious illness and hospitalisation in 92%+ of cases.

But to see that halving transmission is possible too really does bode well.

I got burnt last summer on here by being too vocal on normality needing to return, so more cautious this time round. However i will say, it definitely does look like were in the home stretch

Sick Boy

The transmission news really is fantastic.

We have had enough data to understand the vaccine stops serious illness and hospitalisation in 92%+ of cases.

But to see that halving transmission is possible too really does bode well.

I got burnt last summer on here by being too vocal on normality needing to return, so more cautious this time round. However i will say, it definitely does look like were in the home stretch
The problem is that it’s a global pandemic, so we’re probably several years away from a return to true normality.

fernandopartridge

The only thing you can be certain of is if we get to June and people lose their heads we could be back in the shit again
I think a lot of people are still fairly cautious about it so I think it'll be fine. I don't get why the Torygraph is so bothered about social distancing, it needn't negatively impact your experience of going to a pub.

David O'Day

I think a lot of people are still fairly cautious about it so I think it'll be fine. I don't get why the Torygraph is so bothered about social distancing, it needn't negatively impact your experience of going to a pub.

It does though, I like to be able to just go to any pub I fancy and see if there is anyone I know in there,

These days if see someone you know you can just about wave across the bar at their table.

chiefdave

The only thing you can be certain of is if we get to June and people lose their heads we could be back in the shit again
That's been my concern really. Look at Wembley this weekend, a condition of entry was masks being worn at all times which was totally ignored. If minimal restrictions remain in place to allow things to open and people ignore them we risk going backwards.

We should be able to get some data from other countries as they open up which will help with the decision making.

Despite Tennessee being described in December as 'the number one hot spot for transmission for the coronavirus in the entire world', and right down in the basement for percentage of the population vaccinated they are planning to drop all restrictions in time for Memorial Day on the basis it will be six weeks since vaccinations were offered and the slowest working vaccination takes six weeks to reach full effectiveness. They're even planning a Let Freedom Sing concert in Nashville where they're expecting about 200K people to turn up! Seems madness.

Brighton Sky Blue

I I am sick to death of the teaching restrictions by now, if we start the new year with boxes, masks and all that I’ll jump

Saddlebrains

Someone tell me this is nothing to worry about

Fuck all to worry about, its the typical scaremongering. First we were all going to get lockdown forever by the Kent variant..then brazilian. Then south african.

People seem to forget. Viruses mutate. Its what they do to survive. None of them have been vacco resistant, and i doubt any of them will be from what I've read

Users who are viewing this thread