Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (13 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Fuck me just seen how bad it is in India

What the hell happened to kick it off that bad?

Decided economy was more important and it was under control enough to open up. Only a few weeks ago 50k people watched the cricket. When I watched that and given the population density my immediate thought was "it's going to get bad". But not to this extent as I thought the heat might help.

Just goes to show how quickly things can change and how we need to be vigilant. Only reason I think we can be a bit more open is the vaccination programme reducing deaths. Outside my local pub yesterday there were dozens of people crowded round the front seating area because it was in the sun. Loads of space around the rest of the outside of the pub but everyone packed into there.

Sky Blue Pete

Decided economy was more important and it was under control enough to open up. Only a few weeks ago 50k people watched the cricket. When I watched that and given the population density my immediate thought was "it's going to get bad". But not to this extent as I thought the heat might help.

Just goes to show how quickly things can change and how we need to be vigilant. Only reason I think we can be a bit more open is the vaccination programme reducing deaths. Outside my local pub yesterday there were dozens of people crowded round the front seating area because it was in the sun. Loads of space around the rest of the outside of the pub but everyone packed into there.
Yep need to be cautiously optimistic. Was gobsmacked India let 50000 into the cricket

Brighton Sky Blue

"UK 'to hit herd immunity next week' as vaccines break the link between cases and deaths | The National" UK 'to hit herd immunity next week' as vaccines break the link between cases and deaths

Thoughts? Its a few weeks old like but hard to argue considering our numbers

I think when even Nicola Sturgeon is recognising how well the UK has executed the vaccination programme we're most probably doing something right. I would still say though that with a 1.5% chance of being hospitalised in the under 50s we aren't there yet. Close though.

chiefdave

"UK 'to hit herd immunity next week' as vaccines break the link between cases and deaths | The National" UK 'to hit herd immunity next week' as vaccines break the link between cases and deaths
Thoughts? Its a few weeks old like but hard to argue considering our numbers
Would be nice but other experts saying the claims of imminent herd immunity don’t stack up.

fernandopartridge

Actions and words aligning perfectly
e835cccd316af037bc26712e97122a3c.jpg

Ian1779

It’s so obvious Gove is behind this. The irony is that Johnson supposed comment is exactly the kind of shite that Sarah Vine would peddle.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Point isn’t the protest, point is they were protesting to say COVID isn’t harmful while tens of thousands die each day in India.
That clearly isn't the point.

The fact is, no one should be out protesting when there is a worldwide pandemic.

It might be uncomfortable to hear, but some protests have received an 'allow it' status. It pisses me off because when I stick to the rules, others clearly haven't bothered. This particular protest I don't agree with either (just for the record).

Macca1987

On the India front, cricket was only the tip of the iceberg, the Indian president has allowed mass political rallies ready for elections, and there was a festival to do with bathing in the Mother Ganges that attracted masses, they're now up to approx 300 to 400 thousand new infections a day, would hate to think what this will end up relating to in deaths

shmmeee

The fact is, no one should be out protesting when there is a worldwide pandemic.

It might be uncomfortable to hear, but some protests have received an 'allow it' status. It pisses me off because when I stick to the rules, others clearly haven't bothered. This particular protest I don't agree with either (just for the record).

Eh, there’s no evidence any of the previous outdoor protests caused any increase in infections, and our case numbers are pretty low, I’m not massively bothered.

chiefdave

With yesterdays cup final being a test event what are they actually testing? The process of getting people in and out of grounds safely, not crowding around F&B outlets etc or just the raw numbers of infections that show up in the next couple of weeks from people who attended?

If they're testing rule compliance then there will definitely be some flags raised. A condition of entry was masks being worn at all times but every shot of the crowd was full of people with no masks or masks around their chins.

Hope that doesn't count against football and move us down the queue of things waiting to be given the green light.

Brighton Sky Blue

With yesterdays cup final being a test event what are they actually testing? The process of getting people in and out of grounds safely, not crowding around F&B outlets etc or just the raw numbers of infections that show up in the next couple of weeks from people who attended?

If they're testing rule compliance then there will definitely be some flags raised. A condition of entry was masks being worn at all times but every shot of the crowd was full of people with no masks or masks around their chins.

Hope that doesn't count against football and move us down the queue of things waiting to be given the green light.

I imagine they will now look to trace everyone’s subsequent infection status

Skybluefaz

It is still a different point.

clint van damme

Its not some protests its pretty much all of them, and that includes gatherings by football supporters like when we all went to Broadgate to celebrate.
The Sarah Everard vigil and the nurses protesting were the only one where they seemed to decide they were going to enforce the rules.
Some of those nurses have 10k fineshanging over them.

chiefdave

There is, or at least was at one point, an exemption for protests in the rules. However the protests are supposed to be organised and enforce social distancing & mask wearing which a lot have attempted, to varying degrees of success.

At the risk of opening a can of worms this was a very different thing with zero social distancing or mask wearing. There's even footage online of protesters trying to rip masks off people wearing them.

What I can't get my head around is the police response. Whatever you think of things like BLM or the Sarah Everard vigil the police response was very different to what was seen here. Footage online of the police being attacked by protesters and running away being chased yet the Met puts out a tweet saying 'thank you to everyone', very bizarre.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Its not some protests its pretty much all of them, and that includes gatherings by football supporters like when we all went to Broadgate to celebrate.
The Sarah Everard vigil and the nurses protesting were the only one where they seemed to decide they were going to enforce the rules.
Some of those nurses have 10k fineshanging over them.
There is, or at least was at one point, an exemption for protests in the rules. However the protests are supposed to be organised and enforce social distancing & mask wearing which a lot have attempted, to varying degrees of success.

At the risk of opening a can of worms this was a very different thing with zero social distancing or mask wearing. There's even footage online of protesters trying to rip masks off people wearing them.

What I can't get my head around is the police response. Whatever you think of things like BLM or the Sarah Everard vigil the police response was very different to what was seen here. Footage online of the police being attacked by protesters and running away being chased yet the Met puts out a tweet saying 'thank you to everyone', very bizarre.

Agree with most of the points both of you make.

There have been different approaches and different acceptance levels for different protests. Some from the establishment and police, others from the public.

I couldn't really give a fuck what the protest is about to be honest. There is a pandemic. Should be zero tolerance on everything in my opinion. After that, sure, do your protest as long as it is peaceful.

Users who are viewing this thread