Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (9 Viewers)

shmmeee

New Zealand is a different animal altogether.

The evidence that people without any health issues and aren't of a senior age being largely unaffected cannot be dismissed. It really is like many people are putting their fingers in their ears and not wanting to know.

It certainly is a killer for certain people, but there is a massive part of the world's population where it isn't. That needs to be factored into how we tackle it and recover the planet.

You realise something like two thirds of the population are overweight? And that’s just one “pre existing condition”?

1nilandwe...

It's fascinating how certain people were very keen to talk up Britain's ability to all pull together during the Brexit referendum. Blitz spirit. We've been through worse. We as a nation will work together to make the best of it.
Yet now, a similar set of people seem to be saying, "I'll be alright, me. Let me go to the pub. If the fat, old people die, so what?"

Yes, of course we need to keep the economy moving as much as possible, but human beings are not expendable. The lives of the elderly are valuable. The lives of radio/chemotherapy patients with compromised immune systems are valuable. The lives of people with autoimmune diseases are valuable. The lives of those with chronic respiratory diseases are valuable. The lives of obese people are valuable. Their lives should be protected as much as possible, in the fairest possible way. And that means, guess what, everybody pulling together.

djr8369

'Lancashire has agreed a deal to enter Tier 3 - the highest level of England'

What is this, transfer deadline day muddled up with Covid-19? Can just imagine CCC doing a deal with the government. Pocketing all the money and saying they are skint. It is a bit worrying actually.
Really don’t get this. Feels like the government are losing control with regions cutting their own deals.

djr8369

Isn't there hundreds of deaths a day from cancer that isn't all over the news and drummed into people?

Statistically, I think I am more likely to die from cancer than COVID too.
If the virus spread further so that you were statistically more likely to die from it than cancer would you then support restrictions?

You do realise part of the management of the situation is to stop it getting worse, hospitals overwhelmed etc it’s not just based on what the odds of Nick from Cov has of dying at any specific period of time?

djr8369

The evidence that people without any health issues and aren't of a senior age being largely unaffected cannot be dismissed. It really is like many people are putting their fingers in their ears and not wanting to know.
It’s not being dismissed? It’s been well publicised since it started that older people and those with certain health conditions are more at risk. Literally everyone knows this. What point are you trying to make?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It’s not being dismissed? It’s been well publicised since it started that older people and those with certain health conditions are more at risk. Literally everyone knows this. What point are you trying to make?

The point I'm trying to make is it seems like a lot of people who are elderly or vulnerable are trying to guilt the rest of the population into following their ideal theories and practices. Anyone who goes against that is accused of insinuating the vulnerable are expendable, and it acts as a shut down argument.

It isn't the case and it is getting a bit of a boring argument now.

djr8369

The point I'm trying to make is it seems like a lot of people who are elderly or vulnerable are trying to guilt the rest of the population into following their ideal theories and practices. Anyone who goes against that is accused of insinuating the vulnerable are expendable, and it acts as a shut down argument.

I don’t see that happening. Majority of the public support stricter measures, it isn’t just old people.

What alternative approach are you suggesting? Shielding the elderly?

Ring Of Steel

What are you on about? You are saying that the old & vulnerable are trying to "guilt the rest of the population"? Examples?

This is another example of your weird persecution conspiracy complex... BLM? "why are people asking me to apologise for being white?" Covid? "why are old people making me feel guilty?" You seem to think that huge swathes of the population are going after you and you are making things up to justify it, its very strange.

Its not just all about you you you you you all the time

shmmeee

Maybe the masks can be used to stop people eating so much as well then.

When two thirds of a population exhibit a characteristic its more likely to be a societal problem than an individual one.

Bmi is a load of bollocks it's out dated to shit, most Rugby players fall into he morbidity obese catorgery. Although it would explain why us had it so bad but why has Brazil had it so bad? Most of them are poor as shit and are skinny asf, same with India.

Most people aren’t body builders dude.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What are you on about? You are saying that the old & vulnerable are trying to "guilt the rest of the population"? Examples?

This is another example of your weird persecution conspiracy complex... BLM? "why are people asking me to apologise for being white?" Covid? "why are old people making me feel guilty?" You seem to think that huge swathes of the population are going after you and you are making things up to justify it, its very strange.

Its not just all about you you you you you all the time

I'm not sure why people are bringing up BLM and Brexit on this thread. It's a bit weird.

What you're saying is strange too. I posted something similar the other day about alternative ideas and literally three people responded to my post trying to make out I was saying the vulnerable were expendable. That's enough evidence alone for me to make my point.

I'm really not sure what you contribute to this forum anymore. You have certain people you like to jump on and have a go at, without coming up with any counter arguments ever. It also seems to be a lot more non-football than football. I'm not trying to be a prick but maybe you should try and make more plans and go out a little more? Getting wound up on here isn't good for anyone.

Kieranp96

When two thirds of a population exhibit a characteristic its more likely to be a societal problem than an individual one.

Most people aren’t body builders dude.
I know, but the Bmi scale is way out of date, my brother for example he is 1r stone 6ft 3 and classes as overweight, but he is a skinny little rat. Me on the other hand 17 stone 6ft and morbidity obese, atleast that's what I was but I have changed my lifestyle and have lost like 5 stone in 4 months give or take.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don’t see that happening. Majority of the public support stricter measures, it isn’t just old people.

What alternative approach are you suggesting? Shielding the elderly?

I think the majority do support sensible and organised measures yes. Either way, there is clearly a difference in the way the virus affects certain people and not others. My view all along has been that the people who are in stronger health need to keep the country going. That includes myself.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bmi is a load of bollocks it's out dated to shit, most Rugby players fall into he morbidity obese catorgery. Although it would explain why us had it so bad but why has Brazil had it so bad? Most of them are poor as shit and are skinny asf, same with India.

Yes, BMI is outdated I agree. As Shmmeee says though, not everyone is a body builder and we do have a lot of 'fat' people in this country.

India is a third world country for the most part and Brazil have had the most nonchalant approach to the virus in the whole world. You cannot pick those two countries as an accurate comparison. It just doesn't work.

The point is, as I have said just now. The virus affects people differently, and people who are overweight or have health conditions for the most part fare worse. We have to use that to our advantage somehow to try and tackle this. It has been going on for almost a year now.

djr8369

I think the majority do support sensible and organised measures yes. Either way, there is clearly a difference in the way the virus affects certain people and not others. My view all along has been that the people who are in stronger health need to keep the country going. That includes myself.
But what does that mean in reality? I’m in my 30’s and would happily continue to work while more vulnerable isolate but it’s not practical beyond the short term. You can’t physically remove the vulnerable and elderly from the society and the economy for any length or time and if you did they would only come back into with the virus run if for rampant and catch it anyway.

Ring Of Steel

I'm not sure why people are bringing up BLM and Brexit on this thread. It's a bit weird.

What you're saying is strange too. I posted something similar the other day about alternative ideas and literally three people responded to my post trying to make out I was saying the vulnerable were expendable. That's enough evidence alone for me to make my point.

I'm really not sure what you contribute to this forum anymore. You have certain people you like to jump on and have a go at, without coming up with any counter arguments ever. It also seems to be a lot more non-football than football. I'm not trying to be a prick but maybe you should try and make more plans and go out a little more? Getting wound up on here isn't good for anyone.

Never mind the rest of that nonsense- where are your examples of the old & vulnerable going around trying to guilt the rest of the population?

NorthernWisdom

But what does that mean in reality? I’m in my 30’s and would happily continue to work while more vulnerable isolate but it’s not practical beyond the short term. You can’t physically remove the vulnerable and elderly from the society and the economy for any length or time and if you did they would only come back into with the virus run if for rampant and catch it anyway.
And, again, what counts as 'vulnerable' changes. Shielded people were the sickest of the sick. But it appears 'underlying conditions' is allowed to include asthma, high blood pressure, other common ailments among the population.

So are they not vulnerable when we want people to work, vulnerable when we want to excuse the death statistics?

djr8369

And, again, what counts as 'vulnerable' changes. Shielded people were the sickest of the sick. But it appears 'underlying conditions' is allowed to include asthma, high blood pressure, other common ailments among the population.

So are they not vulnerable when we want people to work, vulnerable when we want to excuse the death statistics?
Another pertinent issue. Too many are at risk in this country to make the economy viable even if you did want to attempt it.

djr8369

I know, but the Bmi scale is way out of date, my brother for example he is 1r stone 6ft 3 and classes as overweight, but he is a skinny little rat. Me on the other hand 17 stone 6ft and morbidity obese, atleast that's what I was but I have changed my lifestyle and have lost like 5 stone in 4 months give or take.
BMI is poor at individual level, yes, but perfectly fine across populations as a rough metric.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Never mind the rest of that nonsense- where are your examples of the old & vulnerable going around trying to guilt the rest of the population?

No. We are not doing this.

You constantly ask other people questions and try and go on the attack, but never ever answer any questions back. That is not a debate, it is a pathetic attempt at interrogation. Why do you think most people in the middle do not come on threads like this anymore?

I have already told you that three people quoted my post and largely tried to pull the card that the counter argument was insinuating the vulnerable were expendable. You are a big boy with a lot of time on your hands, you can go back through this thread and find it if you want.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We previously shielded everyone and that didn't work.

I don't really like comparing with other countries, but the data on Sweden suggests they are not having a second wave like the rest of the world. That should be investigated fully.

There has to be some common sense and ideas put forward on how to deal with this. I'm not a scientist and I'm not an economist, but I do not see how anyone can argue that the current method is working.

djr8369

We previously shielded everyone and that didn't work.

I don't really like comparing with other countries, but the data on Sweden suggests they are not having a second wave like the rest of the world. That should be investigated fully.

There has to be some common sense and ideas put forward on how to deal with this. I'm not a scientist and I'm not an economist, but I do not see how anyone can argue that the current method is working.
I think we can all agree it isn’t working but I also don’t think looking at who it affects holds an answers to current questions. The only thing to do is to cut transmission rates.
Looking at why Sweden is faring relatively well with its loser restrictions is probably down to population and genetic factors that are of little assistance in the short term rather than anything we can easily replicate.

Ring Of Steel

No. We are not doing this.

You constantly ask other people questions and try and go on the attack, but never ever answer any questions back. That is not a debate, it is a pathetic attempt at interrogation. Why do you think most people in the middle do not come on threads like this anymore?

I have already told you that three people quoted my post and largely tried to pull the card that the counter argument was insinuating the vulnerable were expendable. You are a big boy with a lot of time on your hands, you can go back through this thread and find it if you want.

so you're lying, thats fine (y)

Nick

Administrator
If the virus spread further so that you were statistically more likely to die from it than cancer would you then support restrictions?

You do realise part of the management of the situation is to stop it getting worse, hospitals overwhelmed etc it’s not just based on what the odds of Nick from Cov has of dying at any specific period of time?

It depends on the restrictions suggested and whether they make any sense.

It's not just me, what are the survival rates of it?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think we can all agree it isn’t working but I also don’t think looking at who it affects holds an answers to current questions. The only thing to do is to cut transmission rates.
Looking at why Sweden is faring relatively well with its loser restrictions is probably down to population and genetic factors that are of little assistance in the short term rather than anything we can easily replicate.

Don't disagree with most of that.

I think overall it is frustrating that we are a year down the line almost and there doesn't seem to be any real information on where this is going that is accurate. Everything is conflicting, even news on a vaccination.

Users who are viewing this thread