Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (8 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Met a mate on Friday and went for a few drinks. Stayed over and in the morning he gets a call from another mate who he played golf with earlier that day. This guy couldn't taste his breakfast and had a nasty cough. He got a test straight away and is still waiting for the result from yesterday morning.

Obviously been washing my hands and sanitizing etc beforehand but I have to isolate now while we wait for his results as obviously we have been in close contact through another person.

Why on earth do these tests take so long?

Ian1779

Met a mate on Friday and went for a few drinks. Stayed over and in the morning he gets a call from another mate who he played golf with earlier that day. This guy couldn't taste his breakfast and had a nasty cough. He got a test straight away and is still waiting for the result from yesterday morning.

Obviously been washing my hands and sanitizing etc beforehand but I have to isolate now while we wait for his results as obviously we have been in close contact through another person.

Why on earth do these tests take so long?
Hope you are OK and have managed to avoid it.

David O'Day

Cases in Coventry have stablised/slightly declined

I guess the imminent closure of large parts of 4 counties was never going to happen

wingy

Que here to get your Sputnik.
The Russians are the first to approve a vaccine for release in September .
Must have been very successful in their hack of the UK programs.

Saddlebrains

We're at the point where another nationwide lockdown, furloughs etc will be more dangerous than just carrying on best we can whilst observing social distancing and using common sense.

Already 500,000 potential cancer patients backlogged. A backlog in cancer treatment, kidney treatment, annual check ups for people with heart issues etc.

Il probably be shot down but we just cannot do it again. Cases are rising but hospitalisations are not. Thats the important statistic i feel everyone is missing, and its the same pattern the world over

ajsccfc

Sounds as though Russia have skipped the main mass testing part in order to say they got there first, I'd be very wary

wingy

Idk it's pretty much the same situation and argument that will be made here .
They must have the same ability to develop as anywhere?
If you're suggesting the population might be apprehensive then again that's similar to here , but I'd think on the face of it they'd have more faith in that bogeyman than overcoming paranoia in the West.

clint van damme

In other news, just how stupid can you get?!?

2nd player in Scotland to get caught out I believe. A couple of cricketers caught out also. Can't imagine it won't happen in English football though hopefully not, going to be enough disruption to the season as it is.

Saddlebrains

The point of lockdown though, was to stop the NHS getting overwhelmed. We'd have a lot bigger backlog if we all dropped like flies.

But its not though. Thats what im saying. While the NHS is working at the capacity it was, i feel we cannot hide. In my view NZ are overreacting. Numerous medical experts have shown the virus has adapted to become more contagious but nowhere near as lethal to survive.

When previously a good 10-15% of people infected were presenting to hospital in a bad way, you're now looking at around 1-2% and they dont need ventilation.

NorthernWisdom

But its not though. Thats what im saying. While the NHS is working at the capacity it was, i feel we cannot hide. In my view NZ are overreacting. Numerous medical experts have shown the virus has adapted to become more contagious but nowhere near as lethal to survive.

When previously a good 10-15% of people infected were presenting to hospital in a bad way, you're now looking at around 1-2% and they dont need ventilation.
That's what lockdown was for, explicitly to protect the NHS.

Without lockdown, there would be a bigger backlog. Looking at the backlog of cases is not a justification for not locking down, that's what I'm saying.

wingy

NorthernWisdom

Another twat .
Obviously aside from halting the the program for his and other teams ,he doesn't get that even survival from getting Covid ,he could destroy his career due to its after effects.
It's also putting not just his teammates at risk, but the opposition, too. Don't care if you agree with the rules or not, a fortnight out of his life was not much effort really!

I just don't get it - you're high-ish profile, so likely to be found out, and those repurcussions are far more, potentially, then sacrificing a fortnight out of your time to sit around at home!

chiefdave

New Zealand has gone back into lockdown.

Bit worrying really, how did it start up again?
The press reporting on this is way over the top. We had over a thousand new cases on Sunday, barely a mention, NZ has 4 cases in the same family after over 100 days without any community transmission and it’s all over the press.

Once again the difference in response is stark. Lockdown in place for an initial three days while they investigate how it happened. And lockdown actually being enforced.

Will be a long time before we can look back at things and say for sure who got it right but looking at the moment it would be difficult to make an argument against the way NZ have responded.

David O'Day

The press reporting on this is way over the top. We had over a thousand new cases on Sunday, barely a mention, NZ has 4 cases in the same family after over 100 days without any community transmission and it’s all over the press.

Once again the difference in response is stark. Lockdown in place for an initial three days while they investigate how it happened. And lockdown actually being enforced.

Will be a long time before we can look back at things and say for sure who got it right but looking at the moment it would be difficult to make an argument against the way NZ have responded.

The press are also reporting it like it's a full national lockdown

wingy

I rate her and believe she's been a good leader of her nation.
Geography and population likely assisted that somewhat.
The principal taken there though has undoubtedly been effective to now .
Imagine aside from vigilance normal life and economic stability aside from tourism etc ,and none of the strain or procurement issues around their health services.

LastGarrison

Cases in Coventry have stablised/slightly declined

I guess the imminent closure of large parts of 4 counties was never going to happen
Not sure why I’m nibbling at this as I think like most normal people everyone is genuinely pleased it hasn’t happened but there was no-one ever saying they’d should down the whole postcode.

Could quite easily have shut down various parts of the post codes.

Regardless - happy days.

David O'Day

Not sure why I’m nibbling at this as I think like most normal people everyone is genuinely pleased it hasn’t happened but there was no-one ever saying they’d should down the whole postcode.

Could quite easily have shut down various parts of the post codes.

Regardless - happy days.

No one said they should but it was raised as potentially going to happen

" I was in a meeting earlier with some very senior people at my organisation and the word was that potentially there is going to be a ‘postcode’ lockdown on CV which could come into effect from next Tuesday and this was before the Tesco news came out."

Users who are viewing this thread